Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name the Actor...

⇧ I'm not embarrassed about not knowing the movie as I'm not a big Western guy and have only seen a handful or more in my life. But I have seen - wild guess - twenty or more movies with Donald Meek and cannot believe I couldn't remember his name.

And while I'm not unfamiliar with Claire Trevor, I know her more from her post War career (he says in his shaky defense).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a big western guy myself, but Stagecoach is one of the uber-classics of the genre, right up there with Shane, High Noon, The Gunfighter, The Searchers, etc. And its disparate-group-representing-different-POVs-traveling-together-through-danger plot remains a very frequently used template (e.g., Firefly, The Hateful Eight). If you're a classic Hollywood fan, it's a must-see even if you're not that fond of westerns.

I'm not a big western guy myself, but Stagecoach is one of the uber-classics of the genre, right up there with Shane, High Noon, The Gunfighter, The Searchers, etc. And its disparate-group-representing-different-POVs-traveling-together-through-danger plot remains a very frequently used template (e.g., Firefly, The Hateful Eight). If you're a classic Hollywood fan, it's a must-see even if you're not that fond of westerns.

I have no defense and am not making any. I've seen everyone in your list but "The Searchers" and "Stagecoach." And I like all three - love "High Noon." Also really like "The Big Country -" practically a stop-and-drop movie for me, but I never seek westerns out and have probably only seen ten or so more than the ones we've mentioned here.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Come on, I'm surprised at you people - this is a VERY well known film!

Stagecoach, 1939, directed by John Ford, with John Wayne's starmaking role as Johnny Ringo.

John Carradine, Donald Meek, Claire Trevor

"What's Up Doc?"
(think Bugs Bunny)

I hates ta boist yer bubble.. but dat ain't Claire Trevor!"
:D

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I stand corrected. I have no idea who she is.

(Okay, I Wiki'ed the film - she's an actor whose name I don't ever recall hearing. She only appeared in seven films! Congrats on coming up with a tougher question than it appeared.)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I stand corrected. I have no idea who she is.

(Okay, I Wiki'ed the film - she's an actor whose name I don't ever recall hearing. She only appeared in seven films! Congrats on coming up with a tougher question than it appeared.)

I know who she is because like the
character Carradine plays... I also went
bonkers over her and would have kissed
the ground this fine lady walked on.
98DB5E3A-D7B2-46E9-BA49-064E32034FAC.jpeg

B2137841-C918-4A01-8188-A62C6A6BBFB8.jpeg
Ms. Louise Platt is best known for this film.
She made a few more before returning
to the stage.

Last edited:
...I hates ta boist yer bubble.. but dat ain't Claire Trevor!"
:D

I'm relieved, as per my prior post - I didn't get her from the picture, but assumed she just looked much different post-war which are the movies I know her from

B2137841-C918-4A01-8188-A62C6A6BBFB8.jpeg
Ms. Louise Platt is best known for this film.
She made a few more before returning
to the stage.

⇧ She is a strikingly pretty woman and, to my embarrassment, even her name doesn't ring a single memory bell.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I have no defense and am not making any. I've seen everyone in your list but "The Searchers" and "Stagecoach." And I like all three - love "High Noon." Also really like "The Big Country -" practically a stop-and-drop movie for me, but I never seek westerns out and have probably only seen ten or so more than the ones we've mentioned here.
Despite John Ford's insistence on having "humor" in the film (too much of it, at least JF's idea of humor, for me), The Searchers is excellent stuff and offers up a John Wayne you will hardly recognize.

The three Western films I suggest to people who usually don't like them are True Grit (the original), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and a James Stewart-Henry Fonda comedy from the late Sixties, The Cheyenne Social Club. Oh, and Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven -- extremely different from the other 3.

Despite John Ford's insistence on having "humor" in the film (too much of it, at least JF's idea of humor, for me), The Searchers is excellent stuff and offers up a John Wayne you will hardly recognize.

The three Western films I suggest to people who usually don't like them are True Grit (the original), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and a James Stewart-Henry Fonda comedy from the late Sixties, The Cheyenne Social Club. Oh, and Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven -- extremely different from the other 3.

Thank you for the list.

I've seen the original "True Grit -" liked didn't love it; "Butch Cassidy..." liked it, didn't love it; and "Unforgiven -" liked it a lot. Which reminds me, in the world of modern Westerns, I really liked 2003's "Open Range."

I am putting the others you noted on my to-be-watched list.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the list.

I've seen the original "True Grit -" liked didn't love it; "Butch Cassidy..." liked it, didn't love it; and "Unforgiven -" liked it a lot. Which reminds me, in the world of modern Westerns, I really liked 2003's "Open Range."

I am putting the others you noted on my to-be-watched list.
Yes! Open Range I'd forgotten. Good flick. There is a lot of humor in TG and BC; Unforgiven is very much the opposite, a noir Western, I guess. So you may not care for Cheyenne Social Club. But it's not a film that takes itself too seriously. Stewart and Fonda play two saddle tramp buddies who find themselves in "business" of a sort, when Stewart inherits . . . Well, I'll say no more.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can't say I enjoy any of the classic Westerns. Tried several times to appreciate John Ford's films over the last 35 years but they are just so sentimental and righteous. Not my thing. I'm afraid it wasn't until I saw Once Upon A Time in the West that I began to see the potential of Westerns, even if they were Italian. Deadwood is my favourite TV series so it's not that I don't like the genre.

HanauMan

Practically Family
An old time favorite film noir movie of mine is set in the tenements of post war New York city. The movie features this young man who later starred in Disney films and ended up in The Factory before dying young.

Who is the star and what is the movie?

A clue is that a young Arthur Kennedy also featured in the movie.

View media item 1880

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
An old time favorite film noir movie of mine is set in the tenements of post war New York city. The movie features this young man who later starred in Disney films and ended up in The Factory before dying young.

Who is the star and what is the movie?

A clue is that a young Arthur Kennedy also featured in the movie.

View media item 1880

I believe his name was Bobby Driscoll .
I have seen the movie but I don't remember it right now.
If not mistaken, I think the kid saw
a murder but was not believed by the
grown ups. Very frustrating.
But I'm guessing at the plot.
I vaguely remember readng that he
had a tragic ending in real life.
It would be easy to look up the name
and find the name of the movie. But I rather have someone else that knows the
name of the film without looking it up.

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
Yes, it was Bobby Driscoll. He also starred in the classic 1950 Disney film Treasure Island and that briar rabbit film Songs of the South.

He died in NYC and is buried there in an unmarked grave. Before that he was part of Andy Warhol's The Factory. Yes, a sad real life ending for Bobby Driscoll.

In the 1949 film Driscoll plays Tommy, a cry wolf kid. When out sleeping on the fire escape during a hot summer night he witnesses his neighbor murdering a sailor. Nobody, however, will believe him except for the killer who then goes after Tommy. In the end he gets away with his life, just, and the killer gets himself killed.

A great little gem of a film noir, well worth looking out for.

And the name is................??

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it was Bobby Driscoll. He also starred in the classic 1950 Disney film Treasure Island and that briar rabbit film Songs of the South.

He died in NYC and is buried there in an unmarked grave. Before that he was part of Andy Warhol's The Factory. Yes, a sad real life ending for Bobby Driscoll.

In the 1949 film Driscoll plays Tommy, a cry wolf kid. When out sleeping on the fire escape during a hot summer night he witnesses his neighbor murdering a sailor. Nobody, however, will believe him except for the killer who then goes after Tommy. In the end he gets away with his life, just, and the killer gets himself killed.

A great little gem of a film noir, well worth looking out for.

And the name is................??

The Window!
I remember now. I had bad dream being chased by a villain after watchng this film.
Frankenstein was another goody that
had me asking grandma if she could
leave the light on until I fell asleep.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Actor & movie?
E0552C71-37D2-476F-A95B-FDBD55539BE1.jpeg

Hint:
He was in a very popular TV series,"Leave it to Beaver".

Btw: I saw "Song of the South" in
theaters. Later this film I believe
was banned in US. I can't recall
if it's available or not today.

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
Btw: I saw "Song of the South" in
theaters. Later this film I believe
was banned in US. I can't recall
if it's available or not today.

I didn't know that it was banned! I also saw it in a military theater with my father back in the 1970s. Same with Treasure Island. We went to the movies nearly every week.

Now, let me check that Leave it to Beaver clue.....! A bit before my time but I have heard about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner