Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 2014 Aero styles

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I took the plunge and ordered a Board Track Racer in that lovely cordovan they have. Counting the months...:D

A Board Track Racer in cordovan FQHH would be the bees knees. I seem to be marching a step behind you and am thinking my next will be a Dustbowl but can't decide between black jerky MWHH and cordovan FQHH. [huh] Decisions, decisions ... :D

IXL

One Too Many
Congrats! Are you getting the two-piece back?

And, what bike are you getting to go with this new jacket? :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I am getting the two-piece back, simply so I can get the snuggest fit. I have my idea on this particular beast :D:

I've had a Cafe Racer on my list for yonks, but the BTR is a really nice bit of kit. I tried it on in the factory and even though it was a 40, which was way big, it felt very cool on, the same way the Irvin did.
By going for the tumbled cordovan, I think it avoids being too biker-esque - and I don't think the style is exclusively associated with biking nowadays - and the stuff they're currently stocking is particularly nice (look at the Wayfarer on the site). Hopefully it will give it the feel of a 'new dead stock' jacket that's been found in the back of a store room.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it's really nice one, especially as something a little different for those who like a longer jacket. It's hard to capture how good the tumbled cordovan looks, though, and really suits this style.

Last edited:

Jeigernaut

New in Town
it reminds me of a cordovan colored 1930's jacket that recently sold on ebay.
$_57.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Aye, forgot about the Board racer. Much as I love the look of Lewis leather gear I'd rather Aero sticks with the repros of the US classics. You are right, they may have all the major players in the MC section but still, it would be cool to at least have Aero's take on the CHP style back, for example. Or take Rin Tanaka's book - there are so many incredible jackets in it, I don't think there's a single design I wouldn't want to own...

Plenty of stuff for future yearsc in terms of patterns.... I suppose they've got to go with what they believe will sell, though.

Aree that August is a looker.. but the one that grabs my eye is the Sunburst...

A sunburst in russett goat is about number three on my "wants" list currently.

Will have none of that! I was convinced of the same thing in regard to Perfecto-styled motorcycle jackets and now it's the only type of jacket that I wear and have been wearing for a good few years.
Give it a try! I'm certain you'll end up surprised how well it works for you.

As with so many things, it's a case of wearer confidence. Makes all the difference between costume and clothing.

By going for the tumbled cordovan, I think it avoids being too biker-esque - and I don't think the style is exclusively associated with biking nowadays

About ten years ago I bought acafe racer style for wearing to the office on more casual days; the perfecto style looked a bit too much like I was trying to make some sort of a statement for that, and I wanted something a bit subtler. Worked perfectly well, never once got a bike related gag cracked or anything. I sold it on in the end because I came to prefer shirt-collar style jackets over the mandarin collar look, but it was a perfectly fine jacket for kicking about in without a significant biker look. (TBH, I don't think of the Perfecto as a specifically bike jacket either, haven't for years, but that might vary depending on your social circle!).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Puts me in mind of a more accurately thirties Indy type jacket. It'd never pass muster for the cosplay crowd, but if I was looking for a historically accurate jacket along the same theme as the Indy one, this is what I'd jump on. Anyone who has long looked at A2s but doesn't like knits sohlud be looking hard at this as an option.

That's such a perfect description of the Royale jacket Edward. You make me want one. Rats.

Last edited:

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Plenty of stuff for future yearsc in terms of patterns.... I suppose they've got to go with what they believe will sell, though.

A sunburst in russett goat is about number three on my "wants" list currently.

Go for it, Edward!

Last spring, when the Sunburst was introduced, I got one in russet goat, lined with the Anderson tartan. I LOVE it ... the perfect leather jacket for spring and autumn days. The only thing I would do extra is have it made with a contrast stitching; nothing outlandishly contrasting, but complementary. Oh, and have the cotton drill sleeve lining replaced with rayon. The drill is just to "grabby" for my tastes, especially when wearing a lightweight sweater.

Edward

Bartender
Go for it, Edward!

Last spring, when the Sunburst was introduced, I got one in russet goat, lined with the Anderson tartan. I LOVE it ... the perfect leather jacket for spring and autumn days. The only thing I would do extra is have it made with a contrast stitching; nothing outlandishly contrasting, but complementary. Oh, and have the cotton drill sleeve lining replaced with rayon. The drill is just to "grabby" for my tastes, especially when wearing a lightweight sweater.

I think olive drab stitching would work well. My Aero A2 (seal goat) has that; it's a subtle detail that really pops once you notice it.

g.durand

One Too Many
I stumbled across this thread a couple of days ago and now I'm on the hook for a Plainsman. What a way to make the summer months crawl by. ;)

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I've read a number of buyers here mention the thickness of aero goat. Ounce wise, does anyone know how heavy it actually is? From what I see on these pages it seems like there isn't a big difference between it and their FQHH.. or is there?

pauleway

Practically Family
I've read a number of buyers here mention the thickness of aero goat. Ounce wise, does anyone know how heavy it actually is? From what I see on these pages it seems like there isn't a big difference between it and their FQHH.. or is there?

I have both, and the Aero goat is a little stiff, but quite lighter weight than the FQHH. Do not know what the ounce difference is though![huh]

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think the Aero goat is the same as Alexander's goat. If it is then it is very firm, with almost a hard surface. Feels like it's just under 3oz. It is significantly lighter than FQHH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred