Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 2014 Aero styles

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
2.5 oz is the weight most goat is described at, including, I believe Goodwear's hide. Maybe right about Al too. In fact it may be almost impossible to get goat thicker than 2.5oz. However, my Al jacket feels thicker, heavier and more robust than all the the other goat hides I have had. And thicker than the 2.5oz cowhide I have from both Johnson Leathers and Schott. Maybe it's about the density of the leather, who knows? All I'm going on is my own perception and experience of the hides.

What I can say for certain is that my version of Al goat takes a lot of work to break in and isn't much easier to wear than FQHH at least for the first 8 to 12 months.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
There are domestic goats and there are also mountain/wild goats (different breeds). I believe most of the lighter, more-evenly grained 2.5 oz hides are domestic goats. Anything heavier (with more pronounced, irregular grain) could be wild mountain goat hide.

Huertecilla

Banned
The domesticated goat has over 300 different brééds all sprouting form óne wild goat species. That is the Eurasian Ibex. There are several wild goat spécies.

I live on the lower slopes of a mountain range where this Ibex is endemic. It has been so since the species evolved. I have several horns of it.
We also eat the meta, dring the lik of the derived domesticated species. I have tanned several of the skins, especially kid skins.

As to thickness one cannot say read much from a finished product as one does not know how it was processsed. Adult domestic males can be quite large with rather thick skins. It is just not economical to let a lot of those grow that old, wherea in the wild they cost nothing roaming about. There are however not all that many wild goats to be harvested on an industrial scale anywhere in the world anymore.

emigran

Practically Family
So what would d be the difference in wear from break-in to broken-in and weight/feel general characteristics of the goat and HH jackets (Aero)... In other words why would one choose one over the other...

pauleway

Practically Family
What I can say for certain is that my version of Al goat takes a lot of work to break in and isn't much easier to wear than FQHH at least for the first 8 to 12 months.

I have the AL goat Arkansas in russet, and when I put my order in I requested the"softest"and"grainiest" hide they had, so maybe that is why mine was good to go, right out of the box, or maybe their russet goat was softer than the seal (like yours)!!

thor

Call Me a Cab
The domesticated goat has over 300 different brééds all sprouting form óne wild goat species. That is the Eurasian Ibex. There are several wild goat spécies.

I live on the lower slopes of a mountain range where this Ibex is endemic. It has been so since the species evolved. I have several horns of it.
We also eat the meta, dring the lik of the derived domesticated species. I have tanned several of the skins, especially kid skins.

As to thickness one cannot say read much from a finished product as one does not know how it was processsed. Adult domestic males can be quite large with rather thick skins. It is just not economical to let a lot of those grow that old, wherea in the wild they cost nothing roaming about. There are however not all that many wild goats to be harvested on an industrial scale anywhere in the world anymore.
Thank you Huertecilla; very interesting info. Every day on TFL, I learn more and more about leather!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So what would d be the difference in wear from break-in to broken-in and weight/feel general characteristics of the goat and HH jackets (Aero)... In other words why would one choose one over the other...

Goat is usually softer and lighter and is as tough if not tougher than horse. You prefer it if like me you have a preference for lighter hides. It is also super water resistant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred