Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero A-2 pics

Burnsie

After about a week I got around to taking a few pics of my new Aero - I wanted another A-2 but one with very different features than my 2 year old "Real Deal" (russett hide, red knits, nickel Talon zip, OD thread). This time around I opted for a 1756 repro, seal brown hide, dark berry knits, brass Conmar zip, "straw" colored thread. As with the first dealing with Aero was a pleasure and I love the jacket!
1756Flat.jpg

I also opted for unmatched hides and I love the grainy vs. smooth in places:
1756Grain.jpg

Here's the jacket when worn:
Thom1756.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to cool down so I can wear it out without melting!

Wow....
Great looking Aero,Burnsie.
The fit looks perfect!
How about posting the pics on the VintageLeatherJacket forum as well?
They'd love to see it...and the wonderful Aero HH.
HD

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
Burnsie said:
After about a week I got around to taking a few pics of my new Aero - I wanted another A-2 but one with very different features than my 2 year old "Real Deal" (russett hide, red knits, nickel Talon zip, OD thread). This time around I opted for a 1756 repro, seal brown hide, dark berry knits, brass Conmar zip, "straw" colored thread. As with the first dealing with Aero was a pleasure and I love the jacket!
1756Flat.jpg

I also opted for unmatched hides and I love the grainy vs. smooth in places:
1756Grain.jpg

Here's the jacket when worn:
Thom1756.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to cool down so I can wear it out without melting!

Awesome 1756! Enjoy it well. I have a 1756, but it's totally opposite from yours--my 1756 is real thick, smooth.

Here's the pic:

FIRST, 1756, FROM BOTTOM. SECOND, Anniversary special, straw-colored threads. THIRD, Vintage. Fourth, Smooth.
DSC00270.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00271.jpg
[/IMG]

Rufus

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket sir, I love the colour! Looks like it'll break in superbly.

Great cut too. ;-) Suits you Sir!

Ruf

Burnsie

PENSACOLA said:
Awesome 1756! Enjoy it well. I have a 1756, but it's totally opposite from yours--my 1756 is real thick, smooth.

Beautiful collection of jackets! Are they all Aero's? Just shows you can never have too many! Here for comparison is my "real deal" in jerky russet hide:
A2.jpg

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
That A-2 and your 1756 have excellent "looks!"

The A-2's I posted are all Aeros--I'm trying to get some wear on them...in the evening when it's a little cooler...

Your right--never can get enough of those Aeros.

What's your next A-2 going to be Burnsie...I was thinking on the lines of another of John Chapman's A-2--GOODWEAR LEATHER, or an Aero Bronco...

Have a good one, man....

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Stunning. Absolutely stunning. My Aero A2 is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Yours looks great and the fit looks perfect. Now if my Barnstormer would just get here:D

dadgad

New in Town
Aero's are great, I had the chance to compare with another maker recently and there is no match IMHO whatever they say, another world.

Great choice.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
green papaya said:
nice jacket, but honestly it looks a little too snug / tight

you should have more room for freedom of movement

http://historylink101.com/ww2_color/WorldWarIIAirplaneCrews/index.html

Honestly, fit was all over the place, and snug was probably the choice of fit more so than loose. I like the fit of your jacket and it looks spot on, if you want baggy then I suggest you visit Wilson's Leather at your local mall. :rolleyes:

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Wow! Burnsie.

:eek: :eek: Thats the one I'm going to get next. I love it. Thats a nice jacket Did you go through Mark at Areo USA.

I just got one from him on friday.Marks a cool guy I'm going let him work on my next one.

Your jack is stunning.

Burnsie

Senicko_Spain said:
Honestly, fit was all over the place, and snug was probably the choice of fit more so than loose. I like the fit of your jacket and it looks spot on, if you want baggy then I suggest you visit Wilson's Leather at your local mall. :rolleyes:

Thanks! As you know the 1756 had a trimmer cut than other contracts - my '42 Aero in the same size has more room to wiggle - old photos show all kinds of cuts and fits and I learned the hard way NOT to size up - it just doesn't look right! As you say, there's always the mall!lol

Burnsie

James Miller said:
:eek: :eek: Thats the one I'm going to get next. I love it. Thats a nice jacket Did you go through Mark at Areo USA.

I just got one from him on friday.Marks a cool guy I'm going let him work on my next one.

Your jack is stunning.

Yes I went through Mark, this was my second jacket through him and it was smooth sailing all the way - which jacket did you get Friday?

Pip

A-List Customer
Senicko_Spain said:

Couldn't agree more.

Fabulous jacket you have there chap:)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Re: fit.

People seem to find out the hard way.
A too-big jacket actually allows less freedom of movement- you end up dragging that weight of leather around in your struggle to move your arms- moving inside it, rather than it moving with you.

Quite honestly, leather jackets aren't the ideal garment for free movement but a closer fit feels better, looks better and does allow easier movement of the arms.

It relates to the armhole size and fit of the jacket armhole in the wearer's armpit. It's the old vintage jacket armhole story. Mall A-2 jackets and cheap repros will never be as usefully wearable as an authentically constructed and fitting A-2. A-2s were meant to be worn zipped up and when you zip it up and it squares up on your shoulders, suddenly, you understand.

But a lot of folks need to have this point explained by actually trying it.

Any issues with low-cut, too-loose armholes, when wearing an A-2 style jacket are an exaggeration of that problem, due to the short style of the jacket and the fact that it's leather. Lift your arms in an ill-fitting A-2 and you end up with a leather albatross around your neck.

An authentically styled A-2 jacket is not cut to be a loose fitting "coat"- it is a shirt style and not so much of an "outer garment".

We, who buy these jackets have the choice of how we want it to fit.

B
T

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
BellyTank said:
Re: fit.

People seem to find out the hard way.
A too-big jacket actually allows less freedom of movement- you end up dragging that weight of leather around in your struggle to move your arms- moving inside it, rather than it moving with you.

Quite honestly, leather jackets aren't the ideal garment for free movement but a closer fit feels better, looks better and does allow easier movement of the arms.

It relates to the armhole size and fit of the jacket armhole in the wearer's armpit. It's the old vintage jacket armhole story. Mall A-2 jackets and cheap repros will never be as usefully wearable as an authentically constructed and fitting A-2. A-2s were meant to be worn zipped up and when you zip it up and it squares up on your shoulders, suddenly, you understand.

But a lot of folks need to have this point explained by actually trying it.

Any issues with low-cut, too-loose armholes, when wearing an A-2 style jacket are an exaggeration of that problem, due to the short style of the jacket and the fact that it's leather. Lift your arms in an ill-fitting A-2 and you end up with a leather albatross around your neck.

An authentically styled A-2 jacket is not cut to be a loose fitting "coat"- it is a shirt style and not so much of an "outer garment".

We, who buy these jackets have the choice of how we want it to fit.

B
T

A very good explanation.

Here are a couple of shots of an original Dubow I just bought. Normally I wear between a 38/40 for a comfortable fit. I took a chance on this jacket ( size 36) I thought it would be too small, but the jacket fits great almost like a leather shirt. Anyway, here are some pics I just took, please forgive the follicly challenged rear view, I just turned 43 last month. :(

CIMG7267.jpg

CIMG7269.jpg

Not me by the way....Just for fit comparison.

CaptWalkerColTinkerHamiltonField2.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Anyway, here are some pics I just took, please forgive the follicly challenged rear view, I just turned 43 last month. :(

Still younger than the jacket though!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic