Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Lol Im hijacking the thread with my clothes :D:D

The Jacket is 3 years and I use it alot, playing with my kids, carrying objects like the children and baby-carriage-stuff, I even used it when moving to a new place.

You should see it IRL its amazing, it doesnt show on the pictures as much but it got a nice patina.
The places that has gotten the most wear are starting to be really supersoft and I imagine the whole jacket will be like this in 15 years or so :D

I wore the IronHearts for a year before washing but the fasdes actually didnt come until fter 5 washes or so (not 1 year inbetween :D the next 4 washes happened kinda quick)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
No hijacking apology required. I laughed so hard at the chicken stuff.

I'm glad you guys brought up jeans, as I'm looking to "up" the rest of my wardrobe. Funny, the first item I've looked into is a good belt. The "tucked in shirt" look with the HWM really appeals to me. You guys make it cool.
And of course the jeans...
I've been wearing Levi 501s my entire life, and can understand the value of paying a bit more for better looking/longer lasting jeans. The past few pairs I've bought turned out to be disasters; somehow I missed the "shrink to fit" label and one wash was all it took to make the jeans unwearable.
With such a nice jacket, one wants to improve the rest. Any recommendations? Typically I like more of a relaxed type (Partly because they make a rail-thin guy look like he has more "meat" on his bones :))
There was an introductory denim thread pages back I read through this morning where a few members mentioned the denim bleeding. Any brand/style recommendations? Preferably, a relaxed fit and those which do not bleed or shrink much after washing?

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Nick, there is as much to learn about denim as there is about leather jackets, take some time scrolling through some of the more well known sites ( styleforum,, super denim, denimbro to name a few) and get used to the terminology, brands, etc.. You also have to take your budget into consideration, do you want to drop $500 on jeans? Take your time, enjoy the hunt, and then take the plunge.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, there is as much to learn about denim as there is about leather jackets, take some time scrolling through some of the more well known sites ( styleforum,, super denim, denimbro to name a few) and get used to the terminology, brands, etc.. You also have to take your budget into consideration, do you want to drop $500 on jeans? Take your time, enjoy the hunt, and then take the plunge.

No way jose...not $500. I'll absolutely do my research before "plunging".

P.S. I'm also feeling a bit guilty that this thread has exceeded 100 posts. That is approaching "Butte Ventura" country. The number is a bit skewed, as half were mine, but still, I feel I must express my thanks for all of the compliments/advice/humor so far. There surely have to be more jackets waiting to be reviewed out there.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
For belts I reccomend www.thebeltman.net
Here is one that is somewhat broken in:
1.jpg

Beware that it is not the usual flimsy belt but a doubble stitched very thiick and substantial (and cool) belt that should last a long time.

I also recommend going and try out a coupple of Nudie Jeans. They are not vintage, but many of them have a classic straight cut and there is also alot of different versions so one should fit you. Some of them come in dry (unwashed).

Last edited:
No way jose...not $500. I'll absolutely do my research before "plunging".P.S. I'm also feeling a bit guilty that this thread has exceeded 100 posts. That is approaching "Butte Ventura" country. The number is a bit skewed, as half were mine, but still, I feel I must express my thanks for all of the compliments/advice/humor so far. There surely have to be more jackets waiting to be reviewed out there.
Dude, 1/2 of the Ventura posts are mine too. lolI always feel obliged to thank folks for compliments too. Hey, if someone isn't interested in a thread, IGNORE IT! It's a place for us to chat, share, and learn (OK, and b*tch). Nobody has a gun to their heads making them click that stupid Butte thread lol

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Dude, 1/2 of the Ventura posts are mine too. lolI always feel obliged to thank folks for compliments too. Hey, if someone isn't interested in a thread, IGNORE IT! It's a place for us to chat, share, and learn (OK, and b*tch). Nobody has a gun to their heads making them click that stupid Butte thread lol

It's OCD. I have to thank everything. :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Here are some improved obligatory pics. The next batch at the three-month stage will focus more on the jacket, I promise. It no longer stands up by itself
image_zpsda59e195.jpg

image_zps20c11fdf.jpg

image_zps8601a3c7.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
It's ageing (slowly) nicely. They're great new, but even better once they've been knocked about a bit.

schitzo

Suspended
Nick, the thing about a £200 + pair of selvedge jeans is they aren't expensive.

I bought 23oz Lee 101s last year, i think it was November. Whereas with my flimsy 501s etc i'd be putting them in the wash every 3/4 days and rotating a lot with these that doesn't seem necessary. I pretty much wore them every day through winter and spring and they just keep getting better and better. For washing i sent them to the dry cleaners a couple of times, it didn't cost much. Comfort wise, in just a few days they were totally comfortable, and over time the comfort level of course only ever increases.

So the point is, with jeans like these one pair is all you really need and they can do the work of 4 to 5 pairs of 501s. They'll look and wear a lot better too, plus they'll end up feeling even more comforatble - basically personal to you. For these reasons i think they're excellent value and i bet that once you buy a pair you'll never go back

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, the thing about a £200 + pair of selvedge jeans is they aren't expensive.

I bought 23oz Lee 101s last year, i think it was November. Whereas with my flimsy 501s etc i'd be putting them in the wash every 3/4 days and rotating a lot with these that doesn't seem necessary. I pretty much wore them every day through winter and spring and they just keep getting better and better. For washing i sent them to the dry cleaners a couple of times, it didn't cost much. Comfort wise, in just a few days they were totally comfortable, and over time the comfort level of course only ever increases.

So the point is, with jeans like these one pair is all you really need and they can do the work of 4 to 5 pairs of 501s. They'll look and wear a lot better too, plus they'll end up feeling even more comforatble - basically personal to you. For these reasons i think they're excellent value and i bet that once you buy a pair you'll never go back

No doubt. I currently wear my ratty 501s two, three weeks before a wash anyway. Call it laziness for the most part!
But where to begin? There's the styleforum, which seems to be a good resource. The price of a good pair of jeans doesn't scare me, as the value is there without question.
So far I've looked into Nudie as Griff recommended. And the Levi/Lee models. The ironhearts seem to have a good rep around the forum. And I like the sugar cane stuff-they have a lot of pictures on Rakuten.
As far as my limited knowledge goes, pay attention to the oz? Seems like some pairs are very heavy and require much breaking in? (There was a pix I ran into with a FQHH jacket standing on its own-next to a pair of jeans doing the same).
For washing, cold water, inside-out, air dry?
And I see the term "sanforized", which means little shrinking or bleeding? That's what is like (I've searched for the term on eBay with little luck).
I'll definitely have to get a pair. I'd prefer non-slim if anyone can help, but my impression is that I've got to do more research. What a difference the jeans would make though; I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn