Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero J106. Fit opinions, please?

malligator

New in Town
I realised today that my aero FQHH halfbelt is completely broken in. I only got it this summer and though it was stiff as hell then now it's buttery soft all over and completely comfortable to wear. Hence I think it is 'broken' - and that took me just a few months.

If maligator is gonna ride his bike in it he might even be able to get the job done quicker. Btw, congrats on your new jacket sir and thanks for the pictures. As already mentioned pics of new aeros are always well received in these parts

All the best
Schitz

Until yesterday my main riding "jacket" was a hoody and what I thought was a thick stiff leather vest. Now that I have this FQHH jacket the vest feels like it's made of light cotton. :)

schitzo

Suspended
Until yesterday my main riding "jacket" was a hoody and what I thought was a thick stiff leather vest. Now that I have this FQHH jacket the vest feels like it's made of light cotton. :)

When you're wearing it just do a few stretches - in all directions. And if you can wear it out in the rain that'll accelerate the break in too

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
According to the folks at Insurrection this model is 26" in back. I'll measure when I get home to give you an exact number. It is cut pretty tapered in the body, but I wouldn't call the waist very trim at all.

IMO a jacket like this one should be 24" and yes, very trim waist.

malligator

New in Town
IMO a jacket like this one should be 24" and yes, very trim waist.

Why 24" specifically? I'd rather it fit a certain way than be a specific dimension. I took my fit cues from Marlon Brando whose jacket bottom sat right over top of his belt just like mine sits on me. The bottom of a 24" jacket on me would sit at my navel.

I didn't want this fit...

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/images/reviews/geil614Large.jpg?1305175108

or this one...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mayu7hvXAO1qizcdlo1_500.jpg

Brando was on the short side (5'9"), but he wasn't a little waif of a guy. His jacket had some size to it.

Last edited:
Looks good. Congrats.
The back will relax after wearing for awhile.
I suggest getting a small plastic spray bottle...spraying the jacket with tap water until quite wet..and wearing until dry. Doing this a few times will help the jacket mold to your body shape and relax the stiffness.
HD

malligator

New in Town
Got a new battery and took my first ride in the jacket. The arms are perfect, but the body feels like I'm wearing a rigid tube. :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it's just me, but I love the idea of something that has to be 'tamed' through time and effort before it's truly yours.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Got a new battery and took my first ride in the jacket. The arms are perfect, but the body feels like I'm wearing a rigid tube. :)

I looked at your photos again, and you should be grinning from ear to ear. The fit looks that good! I think that one would expect the jacket to feel like a coat of armor at this point but doesn't look that way, at least to me. Let us know how it feels this time next month. Show us pictures with you on your ride. This is what the FL is all about!

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Why 24" specifically? I'd rather it fit a certain way than be a specific dimension. I took my fit cues from Marlon Brando whose jacket bottom sat right over top of his belt just like mine sits on me. The bottom of a 24" jacket on me would sit at my navel.

I didn't want this fit...

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/images/reviews/geil614Large.jpg?1305175108

or this one...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mayu7hvXAO1qizcdlo1_500.jpg

Brando was on the short side (5'9"), but he wasn't a little waif of a guy. His jacket had some size to it.

Traditionally these jackets like the Buco J23 and the Schott 613 always been that length for a medium, I think Brando's jacket was 23".

I'm also a biker, and I always found long jackets uncomfortable when I'm riding, I've a Dainese jacket with protections that I use when I go on the track and it's 63 cm long.

Also, the bike jacket MUST be fit, just have a look at the racing suits they use in Superbike or MotoGP.

malligator

New in Town
Traditionally these jackets like the Buco J23 and the Schott 613 always been that length for a medium, I think Brando's jacket was 23".

I'm also a biker, and I always found long jackets uncomfortable when I'm riding, I've a Dainese jacket with protections that I use when I go on the track and it's 63 cm long.

Also, the bike jacket MUST be fit, just have a look at the racing suits they use in Superbike or MotoGP.

Right, but again, it's the actual length that determines the fit of the jacket...not a number. If my jacket was 24" it would ride across the middle of my back when I'm on my bike. I'm 6'0" with a long torso. If my stubby little legs had grown I'd be 6'3". :)

As for superbike and MotoGP racing suits...those guys don't have to cram a sweatshirt or fleece inside there for chilly morning commutes. :) My jacket is "fitted" in that it tapers down and fits the shape of my body, but it's got a little room for an insulating layer. I'll admit I was close to sending this 42 back for a 40, but then I put on a sweatshirt with it which filled in the extra space so I'm keeping this much more practical size.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'll try to do that, but I'm loath to ask the girl I'm seeing to take action shots on my bike. She already thinks I'm obsessed with this jacket...which is probably true. :)

Mal, take your cycle to a car wash place and have one of these girls take a picture.

b876514b.jpg

IXL

One Too Many
Great jacket, and fit, you have there! I'm saving up my lunch money for one. You may have jsut pushed me over the edge a little early.
What motorcycle do you have?

malligator

New in Town
Great jacket, and fit, you have there! I'm saving up my lunch money for one. You may have jsut pushed me over the edge a little early.
What motorcycle do you have?

I ride an '09 Road King. You should go ahead and get one so you can start breaking it in. It's gonna take a while. :)

IXL

One Too Many
I think I'll go ahead and order soon, dammit....:)
I ride an '08 Road King Classic and an '11 XR1200X Sportster. I'm thinking that the Road Kings, alone, kind of demand this jacket.

Last edited:

malligator

New in Town
Wearing my new jacket home to Florida for Thanksgiving and have gotten many compliments. One from very pretty young lady. What a jacket.

olworthers

A-List Customer
That is a great looking jacket and the fit looks spot-on to me...

Got one on order myself, can't wait for its arrival!

siddhartha

Familiar Face
Hi,

I was wondering what size, and what leather you ended up getting? I am similar in weight, and probably going to get this one in sz 42 in heavy steer. Did you go for horsehide?

siddhartha

Familiar Face
Sorry-re-read the post, and see you got the FQHH, in a sz 42. How much do you weigh, if I may ask? Are you satisfied with the weight of the HH?

Best,

Sid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou