Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero J106. Fit opinions, please?

Gav

Practically Family
Hi Chaps, new user here and I need some help.

I'm hijacking this aero J106 fit thread because I am in the process of ordering one. I sent my measurements in and we thought a 44 would be right for me but probably long because I am 6'2". Since this is my first Aero order I was keen to try something on before custom ordering and they happened to have a 44" J106 in the sale section, so I ordered that to try it out first, also on the off chance it would work out too....

I know this doesn't fit right, I think the shoulders are too wide and I certainly think I need an extra inch or so in length, but what are your opinions? Can I go down to a 42"? What about sleeve length?

I will be riding in this.

zipped
18739655742_68298e3e9b_z.jpg

18121924174_1b892b7f72_z.jpg

18744572135_f76ea39da0_z.jpg

18558369739_607e9551b8_z.jpg

unzipped
18121922074_e11c2913fa_z.jpg

18744566655_081f794cf7_z.jpg

18739648192_fede715a33_z.jpg

This is how it pulls up. Feels like the armholes are low and wide ???
18558367909_33fc8b1975_z.jpg

Well I really like this one.

Sleeves are perfect. Length looks good for this type of jacket, though yeah, since you're gonna ride in this jacket, perhaps adding an inch or two would be smart - although, the jacket length looks good at the back. As for the size... I don't know, it doesn't seem too large at all to me. It's not a super tight fit, but this 44 looks really good on you.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Hi,

low cut armholes always are an issue with Aero, if you are uncomfortable with that, you can talk with them about adapting their premier pattern, which has higher armholes, to this style, if that's not possible and you cannot live with the armholes, you're better adviced to go looking elsewhere.. for fairness sake, how often do you raise your arms like that in casual wear and how often when biking.. your call.

As for the fit, I would advice you to put on a sweater and try on the jacket again. If it still feels too wide, size down. But I wouldnt make that call on a t-shirt-only-fit, because you might want to wear more than that below the jacket some day. To me, the fit looks good, sizing down will restrict you in movement and it does not look too lose to me, unless you want to go for super-tight. Add at least 1" length, though.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Fit looks good to me.
What i would do is add 2" or so to the body, i like my jackets to finish 0.5" from the top of my back pockets.
This should make the jacket long enough to cover your belt in the front.
Regarding the arms, i'm afraid that's how they are. they ride a lot if you raise your arms over your head, but shouldn't ride when you reach forward because of the swing back.
Personally i don't find it a problem, it's not like i walk around with my arms up very often.
I wouldn't add length to the sleeves, they look a bit long, and will probably lose 0.5" when they crease up, making them the perfect length.

I also don't think the shoulders look wide... It gets cold on the bike, you might be happy to have room for a jumper, or even to wear an armoured shirt underneath.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Sleeves look right on, back length is perfect and you're just a little short up front, but I agree with you that it's only an inch or so. Since you're riding you don't want it too long so that it starts riding up. While it looks big across the shoulders, once the leather softens and breaks in it will look different than it does now. Taking two inches off all around might not be the best idea, I think the overall sizing looks about right, but I'm sure some with disagree.

I would also send these pics to Aero and ask their opinion, and see what they would be willing to change and what they wouldn't in terms of the pattern. There is a slim, high arm hole model but I believe it's exclusive to Thurston Bros. here in the states, might be worth seeing if you can somehow get your hands on one of those if you really want something that's pretty slim through the arms. (search Aero Ridley)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It looks good. Like others said, an inch or so in body length would do the trick. There may be a little of your belt still exposed with the inch, but I think it's a good look. Sleeves can be longer if you want (they look fine from here but they will crease and get shorter). Not sure how to estimate a comfortable length for riding. (Purely look advice on my end)

Last edited:

Gav

Practically Family
Thanks for all the views guys!

jacketjunkie - Good call on the sweater, I was going to do this before I got caught up in the excitement.... I did this now and yes it would be a mistake to size down for sure.

The consensus seems to be ok on sleeve length and add an inch or so on body length. I know what I need to discuss with Holly. If a higher armhole is an option, I will certainly get it because it feels less restrictive and looks trimmer. I think I will get the shoulder gussets rather than full action back again for the trimmer look.

I will send the pictures to Aero, Holly has been communicating with me and putting up with my questions.

Gav

Practically Family
Just an update, now I have tried this on a few more times. I'm coming round to the fit more now and thinking about keeping it. Here are some new (similar, sorry) fit pics...
18831720342_189a5578ee_z.jpg

18649117550_0b8c576a01_z.jpg

18810559196_2dfbb336a4_z.jpg

I still think it fits you great as it is. Not too big at all. These jackets are meant to be this short, the Buco was 24.5 in length or 25.5 for the L version with an extended kidney panel so you're good. And in my humble opinion, the belt on the Perfecto should always be above the pants belt, just how Strabler wore it. Having a jacket belt over or below pants belt makes no sense.

This J106 killer on you, really. Man, are these jackets nice or what...

Gav

Practically Family
Thanks Monitor, I have been googling pictures of Buco fit pics and yep I agree. I'm over the edge and have done a 360 degree... keeping this one instead of custom ordering. Cant have quite the custom features I was hankering (mixed hardware, olive lining, exposed zipper tape on sleeves and d-pocket) but these are truly minor things.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gav, I completely understand the worry when you think a jacket is too short on you but for this style, thats pretty much perfect. Looks great on you. If you were to go custom I don't think you would need more than an inch on the body but I don't really think you NEED it anyway.

Gav, how so you'd want exposed zipper tape on the D-pocket and the sleeve zips? Going for a full j-24 repro, eh? :) You'd have to move the sleeve zips to the inside of the sleeve which automatically deletes the piping.

Gav

Practically Family
Ha yeah something like that....

Now I need to decide whether to wear the belt or not...

Last edited:

Gav

Practically Family
Yep I did, been wearing it everyday since... not so much today though. I'll update pictures as it breaks in.

Glad to hear everything worked out fine! Please do share some pics, there's only so few photos of J106 here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou