Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Zip Sleeve Highwayman, LOVE IT!!!

BobJ

Practically Family
Hey mendelboaz - I'm flabbergasted that your size 38/36 jacket weighs 9.9 pounds! I must be a wimp or something, because my jacket weighs only half that and I find myself reaching for a lighter jacket sometimes, just because I don't want the weight. Only sometimes though, four times out of five, I'm wearing it. Do you wear yours much? Does the weight bother you? Have you "tamed that bad boy" yet? Thanks, Bob

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the zip sleeves. My overwhelming preference in high end leather jackets.
A superior jacket with fantastic choices! Well done.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hoi Mendelboaz, alles goed? Nice jacket man. I was wondering: I have as a future plan to get a long jacket (such as long hb) with a shearling lining. Do you think the steerhide is an option is does it weigh MUCH more than a FQHH?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments, guys.

When I ordered this jacket, I requested Aero's heaviest steerhide-- I'm not sure how much heavier this is than their "regular heavy" steerhide but I reckon it can't be that much thicker, it feels about as thick as the sample I got. Thing about the steerhide is that 1) it is a LOT harder to break in and harder to wear at times; and 2) the CXL steerhide is a lot more sensitive to warmth than CXL FQHH. This hide is thick and full of oils that really stiffen up when cold, so last winter it was like wearing a piece of cardboard. Ironically, now that the weather is turning around I reach for my 3oz leather jackets more often.

I've hardly tamed this bad boy yet. I'll get some pics up this weekend, showing the fit and detailing of the leather. I'm currently working on breaking in 4 jackets, and they're all hardly as broken in as I'd like them to be. Believe it or not, but breaking in 5 pairs of boots is an easier task than breaking in 4 jackets.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Hoi Mendelboaz, alles goed? Nice jacket man. I was wondering: I have as a future plan to get a long jacket (such as long hb) with a shearling lining. Do you think the steerhide is an option is does it weigh MUCH more than a FQHH?

Hallo, Harris! Alles gaat prima, en met jou? Especially for a longer jacket I'd recommend the 3oz FQHH over the 4-4.5oz steerhide; IMO 3oz, perhaps 3.5oz is plenty thick and tough for a leather jacket. It's the perfect combination between motorcycle heft and ease of wear. 4-4.5oz is just too heavy for a leather jacket at times. That said, I love my HWM and the steerhide is just amazing. Once broken in I'm sure the extra thickness won't bother me at all.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Mendel - I'm also a big fan of my Heavy Steerhide 30's Half Belt jacket, and I will concur with you about the sensitivity of Horween steerhide to be affected by warmth (or lack thereof.) It's the first thing Carrie at Insurrection in Seattle suggested - wear the jacket for 15 minutes or more. What a difference that makes! I'll also post some fit pictures this weekend as it's broken in quite well after 6 months, and wearing a backpack has helped that process.

About the only "concern" I've had with the HB is leaving it in car on a really cold day for any extended period of time. It's literally like a piece of plywood when it sits in -5C or colder temps for very long. I'm blessed to have both Steer and FQHH Areo's now, and if (ok when, I hope) I ever buy another one I would like to do a zip-sleeve Highwayman tapered as yours is, with both front & rear V-yoke. It's simply proper!

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Here are the pics I promised:

Haven't been hitting the gym as much as I'd like to the past 2 years so the jacket doesn't fit me as snug as it used to, but I still like to think it fits me like a charm.

Here are updates of my other jackets, while I'm at it!

Vanson Comet in dark brown cowhide, size 40, 1 year 2 months old

Vanson Model B, standard, size 36 (wearing this one the most ATM), 4 months old

Two tone J106, size 38, 1 year 7 months old

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hallo, Harris! Alles gaat prima, en met jou? Especially for a longer jacket I'd recommend the 3oz FQHH over the 4-4.5oz steerhide; IMO 3oz, perhaps 3.5oz is plenty thick and tough for a leather jacket. It's the perfect combination between motorcycle heft and ease of wear. 4-4.5oz is just too heavy for a leather jacket at times. That said, I love my HWM and the steerhide is just amazing. Once broken in I'm sure the extra thickness won't bother me at all.

yeah, I can imagine that 4oz+shearling lining on a long jacket would weigh more than I do. I love the grain and creasing on your Higwayman though. Maybe I'll look for a CXL bison. Due to 2 jackets and 1 waistcoat this year this plan moves to the future though.
By the way, this J106 is fantastic man, gefeliciteerd!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You have amazing taste for a young man! Rare it is to find anyone under "30" or even "40" it seems who even wants a leather jacket anymore. Nice work breaking those in!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Great fitting & looking jackets! I love the fit of your HWM, because I own one too and I sometimes worry that it's too wide when I see all the super tight fit jackets here, but then I see yours and it fits you just like mine fits me. Great!

Question about the Comet; I have eyed this and the nearly identical Mercury for a while now, but on paper they are super short, like 22". On you, it looks perfect length-wise, though. This is a regular Comet and not the Thurston Bros PLU3 version?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Thanks JJ, remember that all that matters is you feel good in a jacket!

I got my standard size 40 Comet through Thurston, as it makes for a shorter wait time than going through Vanson. It measures 24" in the back, Vanson lengthened the Conet by 1" last year. I'm 5'8" and wear mid to high-rise jeans. I think a 23" jacket would suit me better when I wear my t shirt tucked in. The Comet is pretty long in the front.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Question about the Comet; I have eyed this and the nearly identical Mercury for a while now, but on paper they are super short, like 22". On you, it looks perfect length-wise, though. This is a regular Comet and not the Thurston Bros PLU3 version?

This depends a lot on your helght, standard Vanson Comets are rather short, (a 44 standard model didn't even reach the top of my belt, in fact it stopped about 3/4" above my belt), however the sleeves were 26.5" and fit great. I'm 6' 1" When Insurrection orders Comets from Vanson, they order 2+" of length overall additional. So consider this with this model. Loved that jacket but simply too short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner