Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Good Wear "Californian" Ventura

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Scott,

What I actually find amazing is that your wife was pissed you sent it back. All can say is WOW! My wife is pissed when I don't send it back, but that's another story.

Jacket looked awsome to me.

Best,

Dave

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi Scott.

A beautiful jacket. Shame it went back, but I'm with you on the underarm thing. Nothing worse.

Is John doing a "new improved" version??

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I'm getting a new one. As I said, this one wasn't built for me, but John knows my numbers and it was close, but the underarms were the deal-breaker. That feeling is no good, and does not get better over time.

@ dmd, My wife normally doesn't care really one way or another, but this one was sweet. Hated like hell to send it back. And IMO, even with the new prices, it's worth it. I'd never have said that five years ago. I thought $500 was too much then. But thanks to a certain feller, we can't discuss that here...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
This all always comes down to the "whole picture". Combining modern, low-cut jeans with 30s-40s stuff just does not look fine with me. I prefer to look at everything I wear together. A jacket is just one part, no matter how nice.

My view too - my A-1 jackets (and A-2/M-422A/B-15 for that matter) work best with my fishtail trousers.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Scott, settling on a civvy eh? I love how the wait can affect the ultimate decision. You will be very happy that you sent it back to get one made to order, IMO. Btw- you like the 3sixteens? Great value for what you get (high end JP selvage denim, US cutting and sewing, modern fit)- got 2 pairs myself.

Scott, settling on a civvy eh? I love how the wait can affect the ultimate decision. You will be very happy that you sent it back to get one made to order, IMO. Btw- you like the 3sixteens? Great value for what you get (high end JP selvage denim, US cutting and sewing, modern fit)- got 2 pairs myself.

Yeah, it was a combination of things that got me looking to civi jackets for a change. Glad I did too. The Ventura (and others) are excellent, and I can wear them in places where I feel dopey in an A-2.

The 3Sixteens. Good jeans for sure. I did have to wash them as I was working in the yard and got some crap on them and a soak wouldn't do it. They're ~14-15oz, so not too heavy. I'm going to get some IH 21/25oz in a bit. I have to try them and see.Just the way things are - lower rise jeans are the style. Took me a while to get used to them, but I've still got about 15 pairs of assorted makes/styles and colors.

Currently, finding the perfect jeans is more fun than jackets. I also really like the Lucky green Selvedge - harder to find, but really nice for the price. As to mixing these jeans with an older style jacket? Could not care less! Unless the jacket is too short to cover them properly. I gave up worrying about what others thought about my gear for my 2013 resolution :)

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
butte, FWIW, your "look" in the opening photo's is fantastic.. Perfectly put together. I wear that look myself 90% of the time.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Scott, I'd say that looks perfect on you, but you are the one who'll be wearing it, so you have to love it. The length looks good - 1.5" extra might be a bit much. The arm holes being too high is probably the deal breaker. Good to see you posting!:cool:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Stunning jacket but good on you for sending it back. Those little niggles always turn into bloody great annoyances over time.

Just make sure you get the red stitching again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24