Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket issues

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I like my new FQHH jacket, looks great but it's incredibly uncomfortable and stiff. I just can't bring myself to douse it in water and smash it around and stuff. I've worn the jacket everyday and the thing has not softened even a hair. It's literally like wearing a straight jacket. I imagine at this rate it will be ten years until it's actually comfortable and looks lived in, and by that time it likely won't fit me anymore.

Maybe I'll get a halfbelt in a mid-weight softer leather? How is goat or steer? I'm looking for something relatively comfortable out of the box and that will break right in from wear alone quickly. I know I'm done with thick horsehide, just too dang uncomfortable for me.

Thank you for any input.

Lots of love for the Vicenza HH around here. Or the tumbled horse maybe? In my experience if you're not happy with something sell it as is and move on. Don't try and alter it as you may end up devaluing it. Both of the above are supposed to be easier wearing hides.

A good way to break in a FQHH jacket is to wear it while sweating. I know it sounds a bit gross but a few snow shoveling sessions where you're sweating your ass off really softens the jacket and speeds up the process.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I agree 100% with Tony's comments above. FQHH is tough stuff, and I've witnessed it broken in, believe me it's worth it but don't try to speed the process up. If you can bear it, wear it, all the time, around the house. I think you get the idea here.

I am blessed to have two Steerhide Aeros that both broke in very quickly with said continued wearing. Lots of character has developed especially in the Half-Belt jacket. Hang with it, it's worth it!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't like FQHH even though it looks amazing. I had a 10 year old Aero half belt in FQHH that was still uncomfortable after a decade. It's not for everyone. I much prefer goat or 2.5oz steer/cowhide.

Me too. In fact, I'm not sure horsehide is the answer (even beautiful Shinki). I'm really loving the Steerhide I've seen from Himel, and vintage Steerhide.

dan_t

Practically Family
What's the jacket?
I've also got the FQHH, Steerhide & Goat, all from Aero and love them all, each for their own reasons.
I'd strongly suggest avoiding the 'speeding up' suggestions, including soaking in water. Many have not had negative experiences, although I have.
Just wear it. It's that simple. If that's not for you, sell it on whilst it's still 'like new' rather than run it into the ground only to come to the same conclusion.

Pictures are also very welcome !!!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you can't stand the thought of washing it or soaking it in a tub, just spray it with water from a pump spray or go out in the rain. Wear it zipped up till it dries and move around as much as possible in it. It really does speed up the process.

Cow(steer)hide can be equality stiff as the CXL horse stuff, just as horse can be as soft as a mall lambskin. Best way to go about it is to become a man. I mean, what would Stu say if he heard all this? Not to mention it's isn't even LW Horsehide people are complaining about.

No, really, why not just throw it in a dryer with some tennis balls? No heat, leave it in for three cycles and try it out. Shouldn't do any harm to the jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As many pictures - front, back, side, zipped, unzipped - as possible might give us a better understanding of the issues. Maybe simply a poor fit? My FQHH Teamster was never uncomfortable and broke in without that much effort. It's just mainly heavier than my other jackets.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Wearing it continuously at home will help. You can roll the sleeves and the body up and down many times and use the jacket as a pillow. I wouldn't dare to wash or submerge in water such an expensive jacket. Keep in mind that steerhide can be as thick and stiff. And horse can be buttersoft. Don' t get disappointed, keep on wearing it a couple of hours continuously daily and the result will be worth the try.
For a suppler leather i would go with a battered steerhide in aero, naked cowhide or steerhide in schott or rustler/diesel hide in sb.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
These are the only pics I have, I've posted them here before when I first got the jacket asking about fit. I think the fit is good, it's just the Horween FQHH is ridiculously tough, I imagine it would make a fantastic briefcase.

As for sleeping on it and stuff I don't want to put in creases that don't belong when I wear the jacket, that's why I don't really want to do artificial break in measures. Maybe the tennis balls under no heat in a dryer could help, I don't see how that could hurt.

I think I'll order a halfbelt in 2.5 steer or goat from Aero and see how that goes.

It would be helpful to our understanding the depth of the problem, and to our offering suggestions, if we knew the manufacturer and the weight of the hide.

It's an AL Roadster in I believe 3 oz FQHH

k7QDAKE.jpg
nYJ514s.jpg
6YluIVC.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
If your Horween FQHH came from Aero, I believe the current weight is right at 3 oz. It will break in quickly and eventually become soft and pliable. That is a nice looking jacket with a good fit. I would stick it out. Steer can be stiffer than FQHH. Two good examples are the Vanson competition weight steer and Johnson Leathers moto jackets in thick steer. Tough stuff, both of them, especially the Johnson. Took a while, but once broken in, the Vanson became soft and supple. The Johnson hasn't gotten there yet, and it is going on two years old.

I think I have about three FQHH jackets in the 3 oz. weight. While initially stiff, they were easily tamed after a few months of wear. One thing you can do is to roll the jacket and knead it. Then roll it the other way and do the same. That movement will help soften the hide. With the jacket in a roll, it won't easily develop permanent creases.

I'd get samples of all the options (FQHH included) so you can compare.
Really treat the samples badly to see how they react. I had mine in my pocket for months, used sandpaper on them, washed them, etc. Every once in awhile I'd have a little sniff :) don't forget that part.
It's all about personal taste.

These are the only pics I have, I've posted them here before when I first got the jacket asking about fit. I think the fit is good, it's just the Horween FQHH is ridiculously tough, I imagine it would make a fantastic briefcase.

As for sleeping on it and stuff I don't want to put in creases that don't belong when I wear the jacket, that's why I don't really want to do artificial break in measures. Maybe the tennis balls under no heat in a dryer could help, I don't see how that could hurt.

I think I'll order a halfbelt in 2.5 steer or goat from Aero and see how that goes.

It's an AL Roadster in I believe 3 oz FQHH

k7QDAKE.jpg
nYJ514s.jpg
6YluIVC.jpg
Man that thing fits you to the nuts...beat it's ass a bit and you'll have the greatest jacket ever.

It does look like it fits well.
Start with the collar IMHO. These collars need a little HWT to shape them and keep them from rubbing your neck raw while the rest softens (if it ever does ;) )
If those boots are Redwings, your feet will remember this process.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I like my new FQHH jacket, looks great but it's incredibly uncomfortable and stiff. I just can't bring myself to douse it in water and smash it around and stuff. I've worn the jacket everyday and the thing has not softened even a hair. It's literally like wearing a straight jacket. I imagine at this rate it will be ten years until it's actually comfortable and looks lived in, and by that time it likely won't fit me anymore.

Maybe I'll get a halfbelt in a mid-weight softer leather? How is goat or steer? I'm looking for something relatively comfortable out of the box and that will break right in from wear alone quickly. I know I'm done with thick horsehide, just too dang uncomfortable for me.

Thank you for any input.
I found that one of my stiffer jackets softened up quite a bit after treating with pecard's. Just a light, sparing amount rubbed in with a cloth and allowed to soak in. It's worth a try, even if the leather doesn't need it. Just don't over apply.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Steer can be stiffer than FQHH. Two good examples are the Vanson competition weight steer and Johnson Leathers moto jackets in thick steer. Tough stuff, both of them...

I do ride motorcycles and owned a Vanson Model B, it was incredibly tough, I never actually did break it in. Back then I was lifting weights, and now I'm running marathons so I sold it, I think it was a 46 then, now I wear a 40. I didn't so much mind its stiffness, I only wore it while riding and there's something about a thick stiff riding jacket that just feels right. It's a mental thing, if I hit the ground it's going to hurt regardless, but a jacket like my model B just felt comforting in a way.

Man that thing fits you to the nuts...beat it's ass a bit and you'll have the greatest jacket ever.

Yeah the fit is good, I really like how it looks.

It does look like it fits well...

If those boots are Redwings, your feet will remember this process.

Thanks, and no, they're Wolverine 1000 mile boots, the leather is really soft and supple, probably too soft for a boot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic