Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Brinybay said:
I've noticed that FL doesn't give you a lot of time to compose a post before it kicks you out.

If you are going to put together a long post, it is best to compose it in Word and then copy paste it into the post. Works for me since I can make use of spell check and fix where my fingers were working against me.:eusa_doh:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And don't forget to post in the Welcome New ladies and Gents, we all check there for new people on a regular basis.

Welcome! Your English is indeed excellent!

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
Hi everyone! I guess I posted my introduction in the wrong forum originally (The Hats Forum) :eek: So I'm attempting to make amends now that I found this thread.
Great forum,I love this place! ;)

PsyDolly

New in Town
Hello everyone!

I found this forum whilst searching for 40's hair styles on google. I was looking around for a while and fell in love with a lot of the style here. I've always been interested in things like this but don't really know much about it!

I'm moving soon and want to try and make my kitchen vintage style, not really sure how easy that will be! I love the hair and fashions too but currently don't have any clothes that fit to the 40's. :)

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Greetings!

Hiya all,

I stumbled across the site while looking for a way to replicate Nurse Ratchet's hairdo from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for my Halloween costume this year. My hair didn't cooperate with the copious info I got from the site, but I've been having a blast reading through here! What a resource!

I live in LA and am a slob generally, but when I clean up I prefer going for a vintage-inspired look. I also watch TCM quite a bit, so I'll probably post in the movies section soon enough.

Anyway, I love what I'm reading here!

RD

Red Diabla said:
Hiya all,
I live in LA and am a slob generally, but when I clean up I prefer going for a vintage-inspired look. I also watch TCM quite a bit, so I'll probably post in the movies section soon enough. Anyway, I love what I'm reading here!
RD
If your local to LA or not to far away, you should take a peek at the events section regularly, the LA crew are usually working up some type of a get-together almost all the time. Tours or Sundays at the Cicada Club, the Derby, etc.

We are getting ready to have a full fledged open house of sorts for the Fedora Loungers at the Queen Mary down in Long Beach. It will be the weekend of Nov 21-23 a Friday / Saturday / Sunday thing. There is a thread (a sticky) at the top of the events section that discusses the whole shindig.
If you can't do the whole thing then consider coming just for a day or evening.

and welcome to the party!

ET

One of the Regulars
Well I have made a few posts and gotten a bunch of questions answered and then added a bunch of questions I didn't know I had when I started. The civility and graciousness of the discourse of this group has been impressive. Glad to be here!

Ed

Fancy Meeting you here.

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,
My name is Sarah & I'm 20. I'm an Italian girl from New York with eyes full of lashes & if art was somehow life substaining I'd be hooked up to an acrylic I.V. I'm in love with art, music and literature as I am currently a Literature major in college. I love poetry and to write, and aspire to become a published author. I'm currently working on my first novel. I play the bowlback mandolin & because of it, I have met an array of musical genesis'. Aside from my love of the arts, I've found the love of my life, Carlos, who I've been in a relationship with for over 3 years. I have a true passion for vintage/ antique items especially from the edwardian-art deco eras. I collect coins, jewlery, clothing, art, photography, literature etc.. I already made a post in the Powder Room, & I'm so excited to meet people who share the same love of eras gone by as me. lol

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
If your local to LA or not to far away, you should take a peek at the events section regularly, the LA crew are usually working up some type of a get-together almost all the time. Tours or Sundays at the Cicada Club, the Derby, etc.

We are getting ready to have a full fledged open house of sorts for the Fedora Loungers at the Queen Mary down in Long Beach. It will be the weekend of Nov 21-23 a Friday / Saturday / Sunday thing. There is a thread (a sticky) at the top of the events section that discusses the whole shindig.
If you can't do the whole thing then consider coming just for a day or evening.

and welcome to the party!

Thanks!!

Wow, the Queen Mary event looks like fun! Unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but hopefully there'll be a future event that I can attend once I get some sort of "look" together!

RD

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
I posted a "hello" in the Observation Bar, but I guess I should post here, as well.

I came across this site while I was searching for ways to replicate Nurse Ratchet's hair from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I couldn't get it right; my bangs are awfully short compared to the rest of my hair, so getting them to blend in for a victory roll didn't work too well. A rat would've helped, too. Oh well, live and learn!

I live in LA and am generally a slob, but I definitely need to femme myself up a bit. Reading on this site is GREAT and very inspiring!

After reading some of the various threads on pincurls, I'm terrified and excited to see if I can manage to figure out the mystery to doing them right. I've tried them before, but had twisted the hair so that it turned out frizzy. Ugh!

So far this site has been highly addicting...so much fun!

RD

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Hello,
I've been lurking and sometimes posting from time to time but I just realized I never posted a proper introduction.....sorry.

My name's Daniel Hunter. I'm 39 years old and live with my wife and three children in San Diego county. I'm a licensed pilot and FFL C&R license holder so I have some interesting things in the safe I can drag out when I get so inclined.

Some Sage Advice

Red Diabla said:
Thanks!! Wow, the Queen Mary event looks like fun! Unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but hopefully there'll be a future event that I can attend once I get some sort of "look" together! RD
Dressing the part:

For most of the get-togethers, I'd say, don't worry about being in period or vintage or in reproduction clothes. The Fedora Loungers understand that a wardrobe is not instantly acquired so those are not the demands they will make. If it's an evening event and a lady comes in a dress or a gent with a tie that will do for most circumstances, it shows you have made an effort and that is your "in". There are a number of people for daytime hot weather events don't go all out and dress vintage simply for comforts sake.

There are a number of people that don't dress vintage at all, it's not part of their budget yet, but find our parties and such, a blast. Why? Because the FL is a pretty accepting group and they love to share their knowledge and experience with newbies.

So, I'd say do some movies and pictures research and devise a couple of looks you'd like to emulate then when you do make it to an event you can ask questions. You'll get a lot of advice, some "how to" and others will give you "where to look" to help you along.

It is what we're here for!

nico demouse

Familiar Face
I suppose I should introduce myself, as I've made a post or two today.

I found the lounge searching for information on vintage style. I am former schoolmarm turned wife and mother. As I have left work to be a mother I find I miss dressing up for work every day. At the same time, I don't have any desire to chase modern, ephemeral fashion. It seemed natural to try to develop a vintage look instead.

I've always been interested in old things. My husband and I are currently de-modernizing a 1928 bungalow we bought at the same time we married. It's been fun to think about returning the house to the way it might have been when it was built.

I really haven't settled on a decade. There are parts of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s that I find appealing.

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
I've been a lurker for quite a while now, and finally joined. I'm not as strictly vintage as some of you fabulous ladies, but my wardrobe is hugely inspired by the 1930s and 40s, with a bit of 20s and 50s thrown in for good measure. Most of them are modern pieces with vintage inspiration. My biggest vice is hats; I have a friend who is a milliner and she makes me gorgeous hats!

The fabulous Mryna Loy is my Hollywood idol. She had class, wit, talent, beauty and great politics.

I'm a student working on a double major in history and children's literature. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here better!

minnaminerva

New in Town
A general hello...

A few people here know me. I'm a Librarian, live in London and particularly like the late 20's and 30's. My partner is one of the lunatics behind the Chap magazine. Glad to be here.

Minn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav