Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
MrNewportCustom said:
Welcome aboard, FS. I've been a member of the Fedora Lounge for two years this month, and I've always found it to be a friendly, informative forum filled with great people. You will, too.

Lee

thank you for the welcome sir. yea ive met some really cool people on here in my short time on this forum. and learned a few things i didnt know about hats too.

katz8589

New in Town
Miss Killin,
If your learning to sew, I would suggest reading some vintage sewing books. I'm lucky enough to have had two grandmothers teach me, but there are things in patterns even they didn't know. And like someone else said keep it simple to start! Good luck!

Hey Miss 1940's!

miss_killin

Familiar Face
katz8589 said:
Miss Killin,
If your learning to sew, I would suggest reading some vintage sewing books. I'm lucky enough to have had two grandmothers teach me, but there are things in patterns even they didn't know. And like someone else said keep it simple to start! Good luck!
Thank you, I will. My mom is handing down her sewing machine to me and can probably show me a thing or two. I think I am going to try an apron to start, and then a simple dress or circle skirt. Thank you for the suggestions!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Wow - one should step in here more often! What a lot of new faces.
Welcome to one and all - and have fun.
See you in some of the other corners of the Lounge.
(You will normaly find me in the Bar - sporting the Irvin Jacket, singing ol' RAF songs.:D )

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
B&W...Perhaps I am a Foxtrot Queen!

and Thank you too! I also love to dance the Rhumba, Cha Cha, and Night Club Two Step. Though so many old songs are wonderful for Foxtrot. My husband and I met ballroom dancing back at xmas time in 1991. It was during the partner rotation at an Intermediate Viennese Waltz lesson. At many places to go BD out here, the ladies and men make two large cirlces, facing each other, and the men rotate down line of dance to the next lady every few steps. The swing we mainly do here is called East Coast swing, its not the wild flips and hand jive type moves like one thinks of in what is generally referred to as Lindy Swing. EC Swing is usually like Glen Miller Orchestra songs. Also there is a big West Coast Swing interest, its not western dancing- WC Swing is to songs like "Just A Gigilo" redone by Eddie Van Halen and originally Louis Prima. Oh, we have been to Bremen, but it was many years ago.

QUOTE=BlackandWhite]“sway”
That is my favorite song for years! Yes, I am a dancer from the depth of my heart and gather every available version of this song. :) Actually I am a ballroom dancer and teacher. At the moment I am looking for a Swing Dancing Teacher here in Bremen, but that is a daring venture. Unfortunately Swing is not so popular in Northern Germany. :(

And what about you chanteuseCarey? I suppose you are a Foxtrot Queen? I really would like to see you dancing...[/QUOTE]
:)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
ditto of what Skeet said from me too FS...

I have only joined very recently but have been warmly received, its nice to find those kindred spirits and apparently many are here ! I try to read all the "Welcome new people" posts, but time does not allow to my replying to them all. I'm sure you will enjoy this place FS... BTW, I like your avatar!

[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Welcome, FS: you'll find many kindred spirits here, and lots of other types as well :rolleyes: But, seriously: one of the great things is that the variety of interests here is....huge. Hard to say exactly what the center is: hats (for some) the era (for some) WWII (for some)....and on and on and on. You'll find out about things you didn't even know existed, and have a great time doing so. I know...because I've been here just slightly longer than you have. Enjoy your stay!

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
I have only joined very recently but have been warmly received, its nice to find those kindred spirits and apparently many are here ! I try to read all the "Welcome new people" posts, but time does not allow to my replying to them all. I'm sure you will enjoy this place FS... BTW, I like your avatar!

Thank You very much Maam for the welcome and the avatar compliment:D . That picture was of me at the Upper West side of Manhattan. I saw the old style chair and had one of my friends take a picture of me sitting in it. The chair looks like its been there since the 30s or 40s. I wonder if any known personalities ever sat in that same chair during thier time.

PianoKid

New in Town
I’ve been lurking this forum for awhile, so I guess it’s high time I finally post. First let me say how excited I was when I found the Fedora Lounge – I thought, “Finally! There are people who understand me!”

I have a long and nearly unpronounceable name, so I feel fine being called Piano (I’ve played piano for nine years). My home is in Florida, but I currently reside in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as a fourth-year architecture undergrad. I adore all of the old buildings in this city. I’m really big on ragtime, jazz, bebop and big band, so if anyone has any music recommendations, please tell me!

My love for the Golden Era came about when I participated in National Novel Writing Month last year. The focus of my story surrounded a group of confidence men. My research for writing led me to read David Maurer’s The Big Con (1940). After that, I was pretty much obsessed with the Golden Era, especially the lingo. My friends think I’m an oddball – I constantly use outdated phrases and words and receive strange looks as a result.

Let’s see…anything else? My favorite movies are Catch Me If You Can, The Jazz Singer, The Sound of Music, The Sandlot, and I’ve been watching just about every routine of Abbott and Costello. I'm in love with Norman Rockwell paintings. And like everyone here, I have a love of vintage hats. Nice to meet all of you!

Paul_M

New in Town
New Member from UK

Hi,
Paul here from the UK. I'm married - one wife and four cats !
I am particularly found of the Laurel and Hardy era and styles - late 20's, early thirties, and then we must move forward to the late fifties, early sixties (around the times of I dream of Jeanie and Bewitched)
Bought my first fedora yesterday (black).
Cheers
Paul

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Paul_M said:
Hi,
Paul here from the UK. I'm married - one wife and four cats !
I am particularly found of the Laurel and Hardy era and styles - late 20's, early thirties, and then we must move forward to the late fifties, early sixties (around the times of I dream of Jeanie and Bewitched)
Bought my first fedora yesterday (black).
Cheers
Paul

Hello sir, and welcome to the lounge :) .

LouieGee

New in Town
Hi! :)

I'm a university student studying History, I think my favourite decade is the 40s and I collect pretty much anything vintage.

I've been regular visitor to the lounge for a few months, but I didn't have a suitable email address to join until now (I only had a free email account, which aren't accepted). So happy to be here at last!! :)

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
LouieGee said:
Hi! :)

I'm a university student studying History, I think my favourite decade is the 40s and I collect pretty much anything vintage.

I've been regular visitor to the lounge for a few months, but I didn't have a suitable email address to join until now (I only had a free email account, which aren't accepted). So happy to be here at last!! :)

Hello LouieGee, and welcome to the lounge:) .

Hi, my name's Tom, I'm 18 and from Wisconsin. I love all things vintage. I have a collection of antique Breweriana, specifically Pabst, from the 1800s up to the 1950s. I have a vintage room full of vintage furniture, and many, many rotary telephones. I kinda fall into that transition period from the Golden Era to the Atomic Era. I like a lot of what I have read around the forum here and figured it would be good to join and put in the very little that I have to say.

I also dress vintage or vintage inspired. I'm looking for just that right hat, something Fedora-like, but with a very big brim. I'm a large guy, and I think a smaller brimmed hat looks silly on me. If there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to PM me and say hello!

Thanks,
-Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland