Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Hi all!

I'm new too. My name is Dennis, I live in Alabama and am on the other side of my 40s (fast approaching 50). I'm a veteran and served in the US Navy back in the 80s. This is only my 2nd post. I've been lurking for probably...I dunno, several weeks now.

The things you folks discuss is fascinating to me. I love old movies (Casa Blanca, The Big Sleep, etc) and was searching online for nostalgia of the 30s and 40s. Thats how I found this site and I check in most every night since! :D

Upon reading your recommendations, I went online and bought a double edge safety razor similar to the one my dad used when I was a little boy. I have to say that it is the best, closest shave I ever had (and I didnt even carve up my face too badly). Lol!

I enjoy reading your comments about aftershaves and clothing and hats and such.

blendra

New in Town
Mad hatter from Mill Valley

Hi. I'm Brenda, a lawyer in my 50s in Mill Valley California (San Francisco suburb). I've been collecting hats since the 1970s when I was in college. I now have 140-150 or more. I lost track because I just bought some more. I created a special directory for my hats on my website, where I am categorizing my vintage hats by style, and posting information about them as I research the various styles, milliners, etc. See http://brendagrantland.com/gallery.

My favorite designers of women's hats are: Lilly Dache, Mr. John (that's his hat on my head in the avatar photo), Evelyn Varon, Hattie Carnegie, Christian Dior, Elsa Schiaparelli, Paulette, Sally Victor, and especially Jack McConnell. I also collect vintage men's hats, most - but not all - of which I have given to my boyfriend Joe. I have a newish fedora and a vintage Akubra that I wear sometimes. I also love kooky vintage ceremonial hats.

My favorite eras for hats right now are the depression and World War II (because of the parallels to today's events), but I also love hats from the 1950s - 1960s.

Brenda (aka blendra)

NataliaLaGata

New in Town
Hello everyone, my name is Natalia. I'm about to turn 24 and live in a suburb of Chicago with my Husband of nearly a year. Moved here in March for my husband's job, from my home city of Milwaukee, WI. I'm a housewife rather reluctantly looking for a job after graduating last semester. I love many different eras, and have favorites for different things. I love the art nouveau period for it's illustrations, natural design and fabulous jewelry. I love the thirties clothing the best, but am most impressed by the forties hairdos. I've been into vintage fashion and collecting vintage things since early childhood, when I was introduced to old movies by my mother and happened upon a treasure trove in my grandmother's attic full of old clothes and even vintage barbies (lucky me). I also was introduced to vinyl and great music by my grandfather who fought in the Korean War in order to gain citizenship in the US and have something to offer my grandmother in marriage (they are from Guadalajara, Mexico)

Being a poor kid, I shopped at the Salvation Army and that is where I began wearing vintage. Never stopped enjoying a good rummage sale or thrifting hunt, dressed vintage for school dances and idolized different eras and styles as I ventured through puberty (from my 1950s themed 5th grade birthday party at Ed Debevic's to my High School Noir Days where I was outcasted as "goth"). Briefly had an etsy shop before starting college and working. It was so much fun for me and now that I'm done with school I can't wait to do it again. I enjoy being creative whether it be painting, photography, sewing, cooking, crafts or just doing my make up. I found this site when I was looking for recommendations on what type of curlers to use :).

Welcome fellow Milwaukee native!

Hello everyone, my name is Natalia. I'm about to turn 24 and live in a suburb of Chicago with my Husband of nearly a year. Moved here in March for my husband's job, from my home city of Milwaukee, WI. I'm a housewife rather reluctantly looking for a job after graduating last semester. I love many different eras, and have favorites for different things. I love the art nouveau period for it's illustrations, natural design and fabulous jewelry. I love the thirties clothing the best, but am most impressed by the forties hairdos. I've been into vintage fashion and collecting vintage things since early childhood, when I was introduced to old movies by my mother and happened upon a treasure trove in my grandmother's attic full of old clothes and even vintage barbies (lucky me). I also was introduced to vinyl and great music by my grandfather who fought in the Korean War in order to gain citizenship in the US and have something to offer my grandmother in marriage (they are from Guadalajara, Mexico)

Being a poor kid, I shopped at the Salvation Army and that is where I began wearing vintage. Never stopped enjoying a good rummage sale or thrifting hunt, dressed vintage for school dances and idolized different eras and styles as I ventured through puberty (from my 1950s themed 5th grade birthday party at Ed Debevic's to my High School Noir Days where I was outcasted as "goth"). Briefly had an etsy shop before starting college and working. It was so much fun for me and now that I'm done with school I can't wait to do it again. I enjoy being creative whether it be painting, photography, sewing, cooking, crafts or just doing my make up. I found this site when I was looking for recommendations on what type of curlers to use :).

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
Hi there, I'm Lolly I'm 28 (crikeys) and I live in a really quaint rural part of England, tucked away luckily in the countryside but just close enough to the sea. I am a very proud mother and housewife. I found this site after being on youtube, a diary of a vintage girl (Fleur) did a lovely hair tutorial on victory rolls. I dress quite vintage everyday, and I was simply trying to fathom how to do them you see. And then I found her blog, and she mentioned this forum. And boy am I glad I found here.
I have always loved car boots and charity shops, even from when I was 15 or so I'd never buy into any-thing new, disposable fashion seemed pretty soulless really. I loved the 50's, because women wore feminine clothes, looked and behaved like ladies. Standards were higher and people had a sense of propeity. Hair was stunning etc. Everything just had me in awe. Men were gentlemen etc.
I like listening to Wanda Jackson, I stumbled upon them...Fujiyama Mama is great! I just like learning more and more and speaking with like minded people too about it all, its just excellent here. I especially love the outfits people make themselves its inspiring.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Hi, I’m TidiousTed

And I’m a Norwegian living in Oslo where I have lived most of my life. But I have also lived in London, York, on Iceland and on the countryside in Kenya.
I’m a graphic designer, web designer, illustrator and calligrapher working free-lance from home. And I’m currently also working on a comic strip project.
My interests are just about anything retro and vintage and I collect (Says my girlfriend) all to many things. Old magazines and weeklies, old fountain pens and ink wells, anything related to retro traveling, steamer trunks, suitcases and traveling ephemera, old hand made knives, old drawing equipments, old metal signs, old smoking things like lighters, ashtrays and tobacco tins and anything else that catches my fancy.
I love hiking in the woods and that’s why I love living in Oslo, half an hour on the tube and you can just wander into the woods which surrounds the city.
I live with a girl 21 years my junior who writes books for young people and I have two lovely daughter and one grandson.
Well, I guess that’s about it

Well not quite, I also run a WordPress blog called Retrorambling
and if anyone wants to be my friend on Facebook or Google+ just click the links

Last edited:

Marzena

One of the Regulars
Hello,
I am Polish and live in Warsaw, am a freelance translator and interpreter with two grown up children and a daughter in law. I have been a lover of things vintage since forever, much of it because the "old school" world of ladies and gentlemen seemed to me always far more stylish, sophisticated and intriguing than the "anything goes" attitude of my own generation. Which does not necessarily mean I am always proper and conservative, flauting convention can be a great thing, but why not do it in style rather than brashly and unimaginatively?

Clotheswise I do not have a lot on which to feed my passion. Firstly, because the sartorial world of 20s, 30s, 40s was completely devastated by WWII and whatever was left got to be worn to death throughout ensuing decades. Secondly, because vintage is still something considered very odd where I live. But I do try to cultivate a vintage flavour in my looks and lifestyle.

I found this forum a few years ago, directed from Fleur's lovely blog and it has been a source if inspiration and feeling at home among like minded people. I am so glad this place exists!

Last edited:

zillah

New in Town
Hello all!

My name is Megan and I have been lurking for (literally!) years. I've gotten so much great advice from the site, and I've decided it's time to chime in and participate! I live in Maryland, and I am spending most of my time getting ready for my upcoming wedding and trying to embroider everything in the house. I love several different eras, but my favorites are probably the '40s and the '50s/early '60s. I look forward to finally interacting with you lovely folks!

juggles

New in Town
Probably should have come and introduced myself here before I started posting all willy-nilly. Where are my manners? Hi. I'm Juggles. I found the Lounge while surfing for a good place to buy a hat since the Mad Hatter in Lexington, Kentucky closed its doors (and ultimately got bulldozed, but that's a long story). I work in film and TV production, have two kids, one wife, two cats (four cats by weight) and a 1930-ish bungalow that I'm very slowly rehabilitating.

Nobert

Practically Family
My goodness, several dozen posts and I didn't realize this forum had an introduction thread. How gauche.

I used to read the Fedora Lounge years ago when the admittance requirements were more stringent. I came back a few months ago and discovered I could now actually join.

Ask around Portland, Maine for an hour or two about "that guy who dresses like it's the 1930s" and you'll probably run into someone who at least knows me by sight (it's a small city).

Grew up in a small town upstate that didn't change much between 1925 and 1980, when we moved there. That probably has something to do with my interest in the past.

A couple of years ago I discovered, to my amazement, that I wasn't alone, I befriended and later moved in with some people in a band that plays Tin Pan Alley songs and other popular music of the teens, 20s and 30s. I'm mostly interested in graphics, illustration, cartoons and humorous writing from the first half of the 20th century. I suspect I'm not as much of a fan of the Silver Screen as are most of the members.

Anyway, glad to be here.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Hi All :)

I'm a long time skulker but I only recently joined up :) My name is Kim and I'm a student living in Perth, WA. I've always had an affinity to things that are old or things with a backstory ( give me a junkshop over ikea anyday!). I slowly starting collecting things from second-hand stores and antique shops but mostly just books, furniture and the like at first ( I also drive a vintage car). Then one fateful day in 2009 I was looking up vintage hair tutorials on youtube which lead me to some wonderful blogswhich lead to my (continuing) evolution into a full-blown vintage gal and this wonderful site :) I'm still discovering the many things you can do and be with vintage and I love hearing any advice you have to offer :)

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Thankyou :) And of course you can - I drive a 1974 Leyland mini :) - maybe not strictly vintage as much as it's "retro" but I love it ! I admit that I do have my designs on a Riley though :p

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day folks,

I posted this in the hat section but it also applies to here.

I'm delighted to have found this forum, and have been excitedly reading threads here for the last few days. As silly as it sounds, I almost feel that I've found 'home'.

I'm a forty year-old Aussie, living in a small country town halfway between Melbourne and Sydney, Australia's two biggest cities. Like so many people here, I have a fascination with the Golden Age, and grew up with a love of history, which was strengthened with stories from my grandparents. My grandfather wore a suit and hat whenever he went out, and this stood out in the late 70s and early 80s, when he'd take me on trips to Melbourne, from the suburbs where I grew up.

I'm particularly interested in military history and have a bit of a collection of firearms and militaria. I carry out some fairly rough painting of nose-art and patches on replica A-2 flying jackets.

I'd be very interested in branching into the civillian side of 1940s collecting, and am trying to get a grasp of the fashions of the late-30s to the late-40s. More so in general wear rather than 'stepping out' styles. Any general thoughts on what to look for if I was to replicate this look would be appreciated.

I'll continue to read with interest, ask questions where appropriate and join in discussions where welcome.

Are there any other Aussies here?

Cheers,
Matt

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
They're far different animals technologically than modern vehicles!

very, very true ! Also, people always get into my car and just stare for a while trying to figure out how everything works and why there are no buttons :) haha

Are there any other Aussies here?

ooh I am ! I am ! but we're on opposite sides of the country !- I live in Perth :)

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, folks. Pinapplefruitcake, I was born in Kalgoorlie, so I'm a sandgroper too. Just relocated...

Good to see that I can talk about old cars as well. My daily driver is a 1971 Holden HG Belmont ute, and I have a 1966 Holden HD Standard station wagon as a restoration project. The ute was built in July 1971, the month I was born. I don't know whether I'm older than the car or vice-versa, but it has its quirks as do I!

Cheers,
Matt

HG01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy