Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Miss_Bri

New in Town
Good morning, ladies! (Well, it's morning here anyway.) I'm a 23-year-old lady living in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area with a hopelessly style-challenged fiance. I only wish he were as snazzy as some of the men I've seen here, but I adore him anyway. I tend to be something of an era-hopper; I like ancient Greece, parts of the Middle Ages, the Victorian and Edwardian eras, and the period between 1920 and 1948 or so. A renewed interest in my recently deceased grandparents' lives has put me back into researching the 1920-40s. I found this website through a link to vintage hairstyles. Sadly, my hair is much, much too long for most vintage hairstyles (tailbone length). I've been browsing these boards for a while, and tried to register with an e-mail address I do pay to have, but it was called "free" anyway and I had to try again. I'm a little nervous that I had to use my work address (I don't know or can't access my ISP's one) because I "shouldn't've" but I think everything will be okay. My ideal outfit, which I can't afford and probably wouldn't look good in anyway, is a solid-colored button-up blouse, a pair of wide Kate Hepburn trousers in a snazzy tweed, and a pair of those cute brown Oxfords from - I think it was - Naturalizer that were posted in the cute shoes thread. ^.^ I like both vintage swing and jazz and some of the new stuff produced in the mid-90's. I work in a very dressed-down environment, so I think I'll have to dress-up on the weekends!

P

Phaedra

Daisy,
I am looking forward to meeting you too. I've really enjoyed seeing some of your pictures. I really like your style.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi Ladies,

My name is Lisa and I am 38 years old. I am a newbie also, I enjoy reading through the different posts and I find all of the ladies (and gentleman) of the FL very inspirational and informative! I love the era's of the 20's thru the 50's with a special love for the 20's. I really love vintage clothes and I have a few vintage outfits that I save for special occasions and I have several other odds and ends of vintages clothing items like hats, gloves, fur cape and a velvet cape, lots of vintage purses and I have a vintage broach collection (from the 20's to the 60's) most are from mom and grandma, I have about 40 broaches. I like collecting broaches because they do not take up very much space - I do not have a lot of space for things. Looking forward to getting to know everybody more as time goes on. I wish I was going to the QM event *sigh* but if not this time then maybe next time.

Brooksie

Connie

New in Town
Hello from the Deep South!

I’m Connie a 43 year old gal from Georgia. I stumbled across this site earlier this week and was impressed with the variety of topics you ladies and gentlemen discuss in the Lounge. I consider myself a hopeless romantic and enjoy reading about the fashions and trends from the past. I look forward to getting to know and learning from you all.

Connie

kittydoll

New in Town
just saying hello!

Hello :) I'm brand new as well....my name is nikkie....I've just been exploring, and finding lots of interesting things...awesome tips and links...it's so nice to have such a wide-ranged place to reference. x)

I'm a sophomore in college right now, and I'm an English major....I love Virginia Woolf and Syliva Plath....(I love looking up picture of their clothing and styles too!)---I'm mostly into the fifties, but I love a lot of the forties' looks as well.....I host a rockabilly radio show on campus sometimes too, which is lots of fun. :)

<3 nikkie

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Everyone!

First of all, Welcome to the Powder Room and the Fedora Lounge. Glad to see you found us and I am looking forward to getting to know you all a bit more as time goes on!

A small housekeeping note to everyone, not just new ladies:

Please be sure to read the Sticky threads at the top of the Powder Room, they help you out a lot and also let you know the house rules.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Hello, Ladies!

I stumbled upon this wonderful forum last month while surfing for vintage lifestyle websites and have been here since. I love being able to read, discuss, and debate about the Golden Era.

I'm 24 years old and currently live in the DC Metropolitan area. I'm a third-year law student. As you can tell from my username, my passion is swing dancing. When I go to dance events, I love recreating vintage looks from the 40s and 50s. Not only is it fun, but you'll always look spiffy even if you don't know what you're doing on the dancefloor! lol

Is anyone a classic movie fan? It's always a treat to discuss the leading ladies and men of Old Hollywood.

Well, I'll stop typing for now. It's just so great to be a part of this forum!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Lindylady! Hello to a fellow lindy hopper! I'm a soon-to-be French grad student lindy hopper! It's so wonderful to meet new swing dancers who love dancing the dance AND looking the part ;). A fellow kindred spirit to be sure! Classic movies make me swoon and I'm armed and ready to talk 'em up with you gals!

Kayce

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Hi Kayce,

Maybe you've mentioned what you study elsewhere and I missed it. Anyway, hello to a fellow French grad student!

- Polka Dot

ShannaSpade

New in Town
Hello, ladies! I stumbled upon FL by way of RetroRadar. I'm in love! My name is Shanna (pronounced Shayna ;) ) I'm 27 and a mommy to two wonderful little boys, ages 8 and 4. I've been married to my wonderful husband, Mike for 5 years. We live in Central Florida.

I'm still learning about the vintage lifestyle, but I would eventually like to tranition my entire wardrobe into vintage pieces or vintage inspired pieces. I am fascinated by all things retro. The music, the lifestyle, the simplicity of it all. I can't wait to learn more from all of you lovely ladies.

I'm SO happy I found FL!

xo

lindylady

A-List Customer
Hi, Kayce, Polka Dot, and Shanna

thebadmamajama said:
Lindylady! Hello to a fellow lindy hopper! I'm a soon-to-be French grad student lindy hopper! It's so wonderful to meet new swing dancers who love dancing the dance AND looking the part ;). A fellow kindred spirit to be sure! Classic movies make me swoon and I'm armed and ready to talk 'em up with you gals!

Kayce

I went to a swing dance last night. I wore a forties-style pencil skirt, black fishnets, and a black and white top. I wore the right foundation so that I would have the classic silhouette. Alas, I was overdressed :eusa_doh: Hey, it happens sometimes. :eek:

Getting back on topic: It's lovely talking to all of you! Shanna, if I find some good websites that sell vintage or vintage-inspired pieces, I'll let you know.

miss noir

New in Town
kia ora from new zealand!

Hi all

I've been stalking this site on and off for ages for your excellent hints and tips on everything vintage, it really is an excellent resource!

I'm 30 and live on the outskirts of Auckland on the corner of a peaceful farm with my partner and 3 year old daughter. mmm peace and quiet.

I've always loved to overdress, from mohawks and punk gear at school, to high victorian goth at university. I began to feel a bit old for all the black and white makeup, so 40s and 50s seemed a natural progression, and was perfect for work and for going out. Genius!

At the start of this year i opened my own online boutique at www.noir.co.nz, as there isnt anything catering for this style over in NZ. It was slow going to start, but is really picking up now the word is getting out, which i am thrilled about. I have a few bits and pieces from overseas but i'm trying to get local designers involved for cost and point of difference. I was so upset that Stop Staring clothing is so expensive to import, as it is very lovely. There is one store that sells it here that i know of, for $400 a dress! shameful !

Rachael
xx

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Newbies front and center!

Hello all, and welcome newbies!
Id say we need a thread for all the fab newbies to flock to. Here it is!

Sooooooo....
Tell us about yourself and we can economize threads thus preventing my lazy computer finger from scrooling down to skim more threads :rolleyes:

See you around ladies!

LD

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Hello! I'm new here, obviously.

I come from Australia, I'm still at university (as an undergraduate), and I love vintage fashion from all eras, although at the moment my wardrobe is definitely more vintage inspired than anything else. I'm a bit useless when it comes to sewing at the moment, I'm afraid, although I'd love to sew some of the beautiful vintage patterns that are around. I'm intending to attempt more than just a straight seam this summer though, since I have a few Vintage Vogue and repro Butterick patterns that are just begging to be made.

It's lovely to meet you all. :)

Grace

Vendor
Hello!

I'm pretty new myself, and put off posting an introduction because I didn't know where to post it! :) I've thoroughly enjoyed theses boards so far, and it's so nice to have a place to chat about things that most people don't get.

I was born and raised in the Bay Area, and now unfortunately I live in Idaho. I've been wearing vintage for many years, and sewing for many more years. I've always felt as though I'm in the wrong era, and I fully believe I lived a previous life in the 40s/50s.

My husband and I were married at Viva Las Vegas this past April (if you've never been to VLV, I highly recommend it!). The car show is SWEEET, the burlesque competition is so much fun, and we took jiving lessons! Plus the booze flows like water, which is always a plus.

I've been a full time vintage fashion dealer for just about 4 years, and just recently opened my own site. My dream is to open a brick and mortar, but Idaho just isn't ready. My husband is working on his Real Estate license, and then off to warmer climates!

We'll be going our second cruise to the Paname Canal this February, and I can't wait! I love cruises for many reasons, but alot of it because I finally have an occasion to wear my vintage gowns! I have a killer 30s satin one that I've been dying to wear (that is, if I can get the horrific water stains out).

Sorry for the long post, I just finished my second cup of coffee, and I'm ready to roll!

Best,
Sara (aka Grace)

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
'Ello!

My name is Chandra, and I found the board while Google-ing for red lipstick shades. ;) I started reading, and decided to stay. I don't really dress vintage in everyday life, but have always loved "the look". Reading here has gotten me interested in incorporating more classic pieces into my wardrobe. I am 23, live in an Indianapolis suburb, and work as a nanny.

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Fairly new to posting, although I browse all the time. I'm a bit reluctant to post because I don't have much to contribute in the ways of retro living except for admiration of the things the rest of you manage to find/buy/make/etc.

However, I am a fan of the 50's and the 40's especially. I love women's clothing (and yep, men's too) of the era, and try to find creative ways to evoke the era in my personal presentation. I tend to prefer "retro-inspired" rather than true vintage, as I don't seem to have a vintage figure--ok, I do, but it's on a umm, grander scale, shall we say. Plus I really do appreciate modern fabrics--a bit of stretch is god's gift to those curvy and not great with alterations.

I've been a belly dancer for over 10 years (and I saw there is another belly dancer here too!), and have been doing burlesque for about a year, which really encourages the retro mania. In regards to the belly dance, I'm very interested in the Golden Era of Egyptian movie-making, it's a fascinating parallel to our own history. Too bad it's gone so wildly divergent. :(

I try to make my own costuming and occasional "regular" clothing, but I fail miserably whenever trying to follow a pattern. I'd really rather just pay someone to make a few key things for me that fit and flatter, rather than every single blessed thing becoming an "experiment". Costume tend to work out fine, so maybe it's more a mindset difficultly, eh?

As a bonus offering, here's a shot of me in the 40's style "Tribute to Carmen Miranda" performance I did a few weeks ago. I designed the costume (from a 1940-something Egyptian movie clip), my best friend(s) made the costume and I made the hat (with a little help from a theater friend). I love it so much, I want to be buried in it!

SmallHipsOfFury102106_1231.jpg

Thanks for the opportunity to properly introduce myself!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hello

Ooooo nice and coherent:D I like.

Anyway as you all know I'm from Canada, in answer to a question in my first post, I live in the Calgary area, let's see about me.....

I'm studying to be a language teacher, hopefully at the university level.
I do Argentinian Tango, and Karate, I tried to teach myself how to run but that didn't work too well[huh] I tried a bit of bellydancing last summer which I loved.

I am enamored of '30s and 40s style, and I think there should be a reuturn to that type of dressing, and manners.

Life looks so much nicer when you're watching Audrey Hepburn of Marilyn Monroe.:)

Well Cheers Ladies!
Back to work for me:D
Lisa

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Welcome Fancy Mouse, Grace, VargasGirl, Tough Cookie, and CanadaDoll!

That is one fabulous pic, Tough Cookie! You definitely seem to be channeling Carmen Miranda.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from all of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo