Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Hello gals,

I'm new here.

I currently live in Portland, Oregon. I moved here about two years ago and I love it. I've been collecting/wearing vintage for almost 10 years now. I also collect all kinds of ephemera and other junk from the 30s through the 50s. My main time period of interest is the early 40's. I don't currently wear much vintage day-to-day, although i have had periods of my life where I've worn it every day. Two of my favorite things to do are knit and sew. Right now i'm kntting a short-sleeve pullover sweater (one-third of the way done!!), and sewing a pair of overalls from an early 40s Hollywood pattern. I also like to dance, garden, read, ride my bike (not vintage... too many hills!), and babytalk my adorable cat.

For work I currently am a nanny to one 3-year-old boy, and also an administrative assistant at an acupuncture clinic. I'm hopefully going to start volunteering for an oral history project at a senior center soon, too. Ultimately I would like to teach, do permaculture design, sell antiques, or all three!

I'm glad to be here and can't wait to get in on some discussions! Does anyone else like to knit?

Bonny

New in Town
Hi Girls

I am also new to this site. I love vintage and was looking for a place that i could get together with other people to share it with that werent in for just a trend. Glad i found it.
I pretty much love anything that is vintage, anywhere up or down the timeline. Clothing is fun but i particularly love vintage furniute and lingerie. Ive been told that i am a little old lady in a young persons body. lol.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Shoo baby! We just may live pretty close to each other! I live right across the river from you (Vancouver). There's been quite a few new people (girls especially) that have joined the lounge from either Vancouver or Portland. I'll have to ask MK if he'll be interested in having a get together....there are some really great vintage stores in Portland, that you'll get addicted to!
welcome to the lounge!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
another new gal

Hello everyone, I'm new to posting but I have been a loooong time reader and let me say you ladies have helped me spend lots of money, just love it!!. Anyway, I am Australian, grew up in Sydney and moved to the US when I married nearly 12 years ago. We live in Las Vegas at the moment but Southern California is my favorite place and I would love to move back.

I have been interested in all things vintage for as long as I remember. I was the weird kid at school who did'nt fit in with anyone. My main interest is in the 40s and 50s and I dress daily in these periods. My home is also furnished in 50s style, Heywood Wakefield being one of my favorites. And I use vintage linens, utensils and appliances on a daily basis too.

I'm very glad to be here !!!

Hi to BegintheBeguine and Senator Jack, I met you in Vegas last month at Java's burlesque night, and Hi to the other aussie gals

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Hello Everyone!

Im 22,from the Washington DC area (I live in Alexandria for any of you locals.)

I think it was the combination of my Mother playing old Judy Garland recordings,and both of my parents playing tons of old movies that led me to this.My Grandmom sang on the radio during the war,married a Navy man,and also use to be a dance champ at the shore before she settled down.

When I was 17,I started to get into the Rockabilly scene of which there is really none in Virginia.As of late Ive started to buy bits and pieces here...a vintage evening dress for an office Christmas party,pins and necklaces from the 50's.

Im a huge history buff and absolutely love talking war history.I dont know why but Ive always had a huge fascination with WWII history.Between women challenging women's roles in the work force,and eventually taking over men's jobs to war rations and canning.Its all so interesting.

This forum has led me to really reevaluate my career and going back to college to only pursue something in this interest professionally.

And lastly,Im glad I dont feel like the only weirdo that would much rather watch old movies and talk about 40's shoes than say...Britney Spears and shaving her head.:p

Cheers

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
ShooShooBaby said:
Hello gals,

I'm glad to be here and can't wait to get in on some discussions! Does anyone else like to knit?

I learned basic knitting awhile ago but I wanna learn again.I found it relaxing and frustrating also.A coworker and I would knit during lunch breaks.

Im trying to get back to being crafty again...haha.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Hello,Girls!
Well,I'm brand new to posting.I am very excited to finally be on here!!! I found this place about a year ago (I actually found it through a thread posted by the guys about finding a Bogart trench) and I've been addicted ever since!Lets see...what can I tell you about myself????I am 20 years old and I can't remember when I first got hooked on vintage.My family has been into that forever.Dad introduced us to the old cowboy movies,Stanley and Ollie, and the Three Stooges and such.My Mom was always a bit of a romantic so she likes the "mushy" stuff, and My two oldest sibling gave me noir.I can't remember the first old movie that I ever saw,but I always wanted to be Judy Garland or Lauren Bacall-there is quite a bit of a difference in the two isn't there?:) Well,aside from movies I love old music from Glenn Miller and Harry James to Elvis and Pat Boone.I also enjoy sewing and knitting.I guess that that's a pretty good starter.I am very excited about getting to meet and know all of you.

Shearer

Practically Family
Cherriexo said:
Im a huge history buff and absolutely love talking war history.I dont know why but Ive always had a huge fascination with WWII history.Between women challenging women's roles in the work force,and eventually taking over men's jobs to war rations and canning.Its all so interesting.

This forum has led me to really reevaluate my career and going back to college to only pursue something in this interest professionally.

And lastly,Im glad I dont feel like the only weirdo that would much rather watch old movies and talk about 40's shoes than say...Britney Spears and shaving her head.:p

Cheers

Hello Cherriexo! I'm so glad there's another woman interested in WWII here. Good to meet you! Ditto on the old movies... my Netflix queue looks like it belongs to an 80 year old :)

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Shearer said:
Hello Cherriexo! I'm so glad there's another woman interested in WWII here. Good to meet you! Ditto on the old movies... my Netflix queue looks like it belongs to an 80 year old :)

Seriously.

I look in our "underground" city paper here that tells you all the Art museum openings,concerts,movies and realise if I try to meet men at anything Im interested in chances are they'll be 70+.

Oh well.You keep on truckin'.At least my best friend told me at a party...'Im so happy for you right now.The old fashioned shoes are coming back in style,and that's sooooo you'

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
Apologies for not introducing myself before posting. Hi, my name is Amber and I live in the sleepy South Wales valleys. I am 29 years old, I am a carer and have 2 young sons. I have always had a love for glamour ever since being raised on old movies and musicals and have decided it is time to start following my heart. I really love the late 40's - 50's period and have recently been getting into the burlesque scene too. Hmmm I thnk thats about all I can think of at the moment, I look forward to meeting you all across the board :)

G

GoldLeaf

Welcome to all the new ladies! Amber and Cherry and Small Town Girl and Goldwyn and Bonnie and ... whew! So many of us! Sorry if I missed any of you! I am new this month, too, so its great to be able to welcome folks now :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Golly, I can't believe how many new ladies have pulled up a seat here at the lounge!!

There really are too many of you to list, so I'll extend a universal warm welcome to each and every one of you. I look forward to learning more about you all. It's really truly amazing how many vintage addicts are out there. It seems like every day a group of new ladies crawls slowly out of the woodwork. I don't know about you, but I am truly shocked by how many of us are here. One day you think you are the only one, then you find this website with nearly 5,000 members! Quite shocking really, but wonderful:)

Welcome again, enjoy yourselves.

MissyVamp

New in Town
New Girl Here

Hi everyone!
Just thought I'd introduce myself.
My name is Siobhan and I live in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. I'm 36,married with kids and I work part time as a waitress. I've been into retro/vintage style ( and films and music)for a long time -I blame my dad! I particularly like the late 40s - early 50s, but have only recently began dressing this way. I found it has allowed me to look more individual, but still girly ( my last incarnation was as a cybergoth - but those new rock boots just didn't look ladylike!) Also I feel as an amply proportioned girl (i.e. FAT!) - these clothes suit my figure more - well, with the help of a corset anyway!
My husband seems pretty pleased with it all - probably this has lots to do with the daily wearing of stockings.........lol ,although he isn't into wearing retro styles himself -just strange styles - which is fine with me.
I'm a memeber of the What Katie Did and Hourglass forums, which have many UK members - am I right in thinking that many memebers of this forum are from the US? - (though I have recognised a few UK names - hi Jen!, hi Paul!) But living in the Outer Hebrides makes me quite isolated even from the rest of Britain - so I may as well be a member of a US forum as anywhere else!

I hope my many inane questions won't annoy you all too much and btw - you all look FABULOUS!:D

Siobhan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80