Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

mbmcfarland

New in Town
Hi, all! I heard about this board from a friend on another board (the Replica Prop Forum). I'm interested in replica props and wardrobe from movies mostly, but am also into big band music and classic cars. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you on the boards.

Mike

CherryBubbles

New in Town
Hello there!
I'm officially new to Fedora Lounge (was an unofficial lurker for the past couple months). What a wonderful resource this is!

I currently live in the northeast part of Pennsylvania and have been captivated by vintage clothing since I found my first pair of black 1950s pumps at a yard sale at age 13. I love old movies, antiques, vintage girls' mystery books, swing dancing, and vintage cookbooks, and my musical taste is pretty eclectic.

Anyway, enough about me already - I am looking forward to "meeting" all you lovely ladies!
Miss CherryBubbles :)

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
Hiya!

Hiya, my name is Brandon. I just joined this great site yesterday and just now found this thread. I really like WW2 and the 1940s. The time period has always interested me. I'm not really sure what all to put except that I hope to have a great time talking about the time period (which I know I will) and to make some new friends here who love the 1940s like me. I look forward to getting to know you all! Take care =)

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
Another New Lady!

I'm new here,as well. I found this site a few months ago and I just joined a few days back. I am 21 years old and I'm a southern gal! I'm all about the 1940's and beauty!

I love everything vintage and antique,I still remember when I was a young girl around the age of 9-10 going antique shopping with my mother.

Until about four or five years ago did I become incredibly interested in vintage clothing and beauty. I have purchased a few things from Ebay,I had even got my hands on a set of Marcel wavers...for maybe $8. I don't really have too many items of vintage attire,but I would love to find a few dresses. I've searched Ebay for vintage clothing...dresses and a lot of clothing from the 60's and 70's have came up along with reproductions,but of course that isn't what I'm looking for I want authentic clothing,if not to wear,but to just have.

I have been able to find a few vintage hats at local antique shops,but I want more...lots more!

I hope I don't appear to be babbling,but I just love to talk! especially with people who share the same interests.

I plan on getting to know a lot of the ladies here,you all seem super sweet :)

Plus,everyone here has been very helpful with a lot of things I needed information about. Thank you!

VintagePie

New in Town
How do you do?

So nice to see you ladies! I first found this site when googling my very favorite (and unfortunately, discontinued) lipstick, Coty24. (I now buy it on eBay and so can you!) Many thanks to all of you for sharing your wonderful vintage styling techniques and helpful advice.

I can't decide which era or decade I like best, but I would have to say that I long for the glamour, mystery and femininity of the 30s, 40s and early 50s. I dress fairly simply and classically, but am never without lipstick and earrings! I carry vintage handbags, love the important, subtle statement made by good accessories...a nice scarf, handkerchief, leather gloves. I try to always wear at least one vintage item when putting together an ensemble, even if it is just a piece of jewelry.

longshot

New in Town
just thought i would say 'hello' :)

i soooooooo wish you all and this interweb thing had been around 10 years ago! i spent most of the 1990's collecting vintage clothing. actually worked part time for fun in a really small nice men's vintage shop here in sacramento. i did a lot of picking for fun on the side and trading my finds for things that would fit from the shop. then the vintage levi's market went crazy and everyone became a picker and the fun kind of went out of it. plus no one i knew thought finding a dead stock flap pocket gabardine camp shirt or a 1940's duke of hollywood rayon aloha shirt was as exciting as i did. so i ended up selling all my aloha shirts to a japanese collector (and bought a 1974 ducati 750S) and most of my suits and formal wear to 'la rosa' in san francisco and just kind of drifted away from the hobby.

then a week or so ago i was cleaning out the coat closet and discovered two large target tubs full of vintage i had completely forgotten i had! a couple 1950's suits, a half dozen patch pocket sports jackets, some hollywood waisted trousers and probably 100+ ties. mostly 1930's short jacquards and 1940's-50's wide silky's and some very nice early 1960's narrower ties and a few bow ties too. and belts, and dead stock socks, and pocket squares, and tie clips. eek!

so i started looking around on the web and found this place. i've really enjoyed reading what all of you post!

since my mom taught me to always take something to share here are a couple pictures i snapped this am of a tiny fraction of the ties and a couple jackets :)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Wow! Very nice. It seems a few of our recent members are coming in with quite a lot to add.

I love that button bow tie thing... forget what it's called but it was a jaunty alternative to the bow tie back in the late 19th/early 20th century from what I understand. Would you happen to have a plain silver tie clip that you wouldn't mind parting with? :3

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone!

I've been a member/lurker for awhile and finally made my first post yesterday. I'm fairly new to the good hat scene. I had a Panama about 20 years ago but the dog ate it. I finally replaced it with one of Panama Bob's beauties that my wife got me for Father's Day. It, unfortunately, found it's way into a swimming pool so today it goes to Art Fawcett for a reblock.

I'm seriously thinking about getting an Akubra Federation soon. I have been a Tilley owner for about 20 years. Ugly yes, but they are great hats. Mine survived floating around my house in 4' of Hurricane Katrina flood water and crude oil. I doubt anything else could have survived that.

My name is Don and I'm in Picayune, MS, about 45 minutes NE of New Orleans. I'm 47, married for 23 years and we have a 7 year old son named Tyler who you can see with me in my avatar. That was taken on Father's Day '07. I'm a cigar and pipe smoker and though I'm primarily a gin & tonic kind of guy I've recently discovered Scotch.

Glad to be here and I promise to be more active!

lauwalton

New in Town
I think I introduced myself once before. I can't find the post though. I'm very new to this :) Anyway, my name is Lauren. I'm a WWII (and history) fan. I adore the 1940's. I never knew there was a community of people who were as "obssesed" as I- but it's great to find people who share in your same passion.

saturnoir

New in Town
Hey there, everyone.

I am a 37-year-old bloke and I work in advertising. I am a big steampunk fan, so my personal style combines vintage and retro styled items with contemporary accessories. I dig hats and pocket watches. I have been reading this site for a couple days, and feel like I've been looking for this web community for years!

Idledame

Practically Family
Hi. I'm new too. Hey leairna - I'm from Lomita! We're neighbors. I used to be mad about the late 1800s, have a lot of clothes, corsets, etc, but after 2 kids and 30 or so years, nothing fits anymore but the hats! I just retired after 30 years as a mail-lady. Looking for things to do, people who are fun, came across an ad for the Cicada Club. I've always loved the styles of the 30's and 40's and it's alot easier to find (and wear!) than stuff from the 1800's. My husband isn't too into dressup but he does like all the vintage stuff-tools, furniture, films etc. He collects hats (about 150 of them) and tools mainly. I plan to check out the Rhythm Club-looks like fun and cheap too.

Hi,
I found the fedora lounge on accident but it is so nice to see so many lovely people here! I am fond of 1800s up to 1950's style. Sometimes i like to buy clothing pieces that remind me of a certain era or person.

ps

I am a fan of the doll thread!

JEEP

Practically Family
Hello everyone

My name is Jakob, I am 25 years old and I am an fedora-o-holic.... :)

A few of you may know me from COW or The Indy Lounge. My interest for the golden age has emerged from Indiana Jones, but as time has gone by my interests has turned more and more in the direction of actual vintage clothing - especially fedoras and watches.

I am studying prehistoric and medieval archaeology at the University of Aarhus and work at a local hunting store.

My interests are many and diverse:
-I collect antique weapons (both firearms and bladed weapons)
-I shoot, mostly pistol and revolver (both conventional smokeless and black powder)
-I re-enact late 15. c. North-European middle- and military class
-I train and teach WMA (western martial arts), my speciality is the long-sword, german style
-I re-enact early 19. c. american trapper/mountainman culture
-I collect altique glass and pewter (pre 1800)
-I collect antique books (pre 1900)
....just to mention a few things :)

I am looking very much forward to read the posts of this forum and lern more about the golden age and it's style - and i look forward to get to know the people of this forum.

Regards.

Jakob

Jovan

Suspended
saturnoir said:
Hey there, everyone.

I am a 37-year-old bloke and I work in advertising. I am a big steampunk fan, so my personal style combines vintage and retro styled items with contemporary accessories. I dig hats and pocket watches. I have been reading this site for a couple days, and feel like I've been looking for this web community for years!
Funny, I had that feeling too. But ironically, I wasn't really looking for vintage/period style advice whatsoever. I came here because it was linked on Style Forum (which I'm sadly no longer a part of) and found it amazing how Mr. Rover dressed at his age. I started posting between the two forums, and eventually this one won out. At Style Forum, they tend to quote a lot of hard and fast rules to dressing, but ironically cannot see that a lot of the best dressed men of all time broke those "rules." Cary Grant and his button downs, anyone? I got in more than a few arguments with some of the more respected members who came off as rather arrogant, supposedly caused one of them to leave (I think it was due in part because he was way too sensitive as I was SYMPATHISING with him), and then threw in the towel for a time. I came back to find I wasn't really welcome (except by a handful of members who were a lot more easygoing than the rest) even though I had time to cool down and get my head a bit more level. Got in an argument with the admin, he didn't like my "attitude" so he banned me permanently. I don't really care anymore. For all that's happened both here and there, I believe I've found my home.

This place has shown me so much in just a year that I didn't, and couldn't, learn at a place like Style Forum. For instance, members there would never actually EXPLAIN what was wrong with what I was wearing, whereas here they will be as constructive as possible. I knew about the fabled "high armholes" before I came here but didn't necessarily know how to spot them or how they are better made. A member at SF simply left it at, "Pft, that suit is HARDLY slim fitting. The armholes are low and it's all cut wrong." :rolleyes:

I hope your time here, and everyone's who just joined, is as positive a learning experience as it was for me. Indeed, I've even learned how to become a better forum poster on here. I still post a little more than I should -- and off topic or pedantically sometimes :eek: -- but I'd like to think I have at least something to add once in a while. :p Have fun here!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
So many new ladies! WELCOME! :)

Idledame, I'll bet there are plenty of gents here who would envy your husbands hat collection. 150, wow--where on earth does he store them all?

AnnaMaria

New in Town
Hi!

I made an introduction in The Observation Bar a few days ago, but I thought I should make one here too since this is the place I visit the most.

My name is Anna, i'm 23 y/o and live in Sweden. At the moment I'm studying to become a dress maker and my dream is to start a business selling 40's and early 50's repro clothing.

I think this forum is a great place for inspiration and ideas and I hope to be able to contribute some (though I'm very much of a lurker).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran