Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

christa

New in Town
Hello Ladies :D

I've been sneaking around here for some time now and finally signed up with you all a few days ago :)
Well, I am what it says in my profile. My name is Christa and I'm in good ol England. Originally Swedish, but traveled too much to have any real roots. My home is where my heart is.
I'm a professional makeup artist and photographer doing mostly vintage portraits. Hobbies usually comes down to work since it is what I enjoy the most :)

It's a nice place you've got here and I've enjoyed it a lot so far :)

Christa

Swing Kitty

New in Town
I'm a previous forum skulker, now a newbie! Decided to pluck up the courage to start posting!

I'm fascinated by the 1940s, particularly the war era, and have been for sometime now...I try to dress in the style every day, and am slowly building up a collection of vintage clothing (costing a small fortune!). I'm just about to start making my first dress from a vintage pattern though...finger's crossed it actually works!

Oh, and my next project will be some Rosie style coveralls. Which will be a challenge!

Hi everyone! ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Hello all! I don't know if I should be introducing myself here or elsewhere but I suspect I'll mainly be lounging around the powder room and in the beauty lounge because that's where I've been lurking the most for the past few months:eek: That probably gives away that I'm a terribly shy person and I've taken my time to plug up the courage to come out of hiding:)

I've been reading other people's intros and I see we have a lovely mix of many different types and backgrounds of people:)

In by-gone times I probably wouldn't be so atypical as I am today. I am a rural homemaker and mother of 3 boys, two of them are mentally disabled so I'm sorry if my participation on these boards may be irregular at times. I'm adopted from Thailand, Danish, but my dad's American *puts on Danish valley Californian accent*lol

I'm sorry I don't have a vintage style avatar of myself but I'm simply not that far along yet. I've always had an interest for western history in general but it's only within the past six years that I've focused my interest on the early 20th Century and while I've 'always' played with retro 1920s-50s inspired looks, I've never been as keen on vintage and retro styling as I am now.

Unfortunately this isn't the right time in my life to fully commit myself to any one era (financial and domestic situation) and I doubt I'll ever be a purist for any era, I'll probably always want to mix eras, styles, vintage, retro and even classic contemporary styles.

However, I'm not a fan of the fashionable careless, carefree, casual mixing of styles. I think some refer to this as the SATC style (please explain!). That's fine with me as long as the SATC followers are happy with that, it's just not for me. My nose isn't turned up and I don't have a lifted finger but I like to appear well groomed and I don't mind that people can see that I've taken care and put some thought into my appearance.

My current plan is to slowly shift things so that when I'm 35 (I'm 31) I'll be able to put together a classic, timeless, well groomed attire at any time, for any occasion and when I'm 40 I will have shifted everything to classic stables with retro and vintage pieces but I'm not settled on any era or eras because that will depend on what trial and error proves suits me best and works best with my lifestyle.

Hair is an entirely different story. I'll post about that elsewhere. My question is regarding how difficult shorter styles are for me to maintain and how unfordable and impractical they are with hair that grows like mad and how I've seen rural photos of people in Denmark 1920s-1930s who still had long hair in buns, "snails", if you look very closely. Age and lifestyle appropriateness. I may need directing, please:)

I think I need to post the hair question in Beauty and I think I have the answer now to my own question based on what a couple of "real" women I know did between the 1920s-50s but I'm still unsure of which thread it will be most appropriate to post it under.

rachw182

New in Town
Hello!

I'm Rachel and I too have been lurking around for quite some time. I live in Ohio and plan on going to college to major in chemical engineering this fall. I have always loved everything about WWII. This includes everything from the actual war and weapons to the fashion and lifestyles and everything else. That pretty much sums up everything about me for right now.

J. Baxter

New in Town
Hello,

I'm a university student from Sydney and have been collecting and wearing vintage hats (and clothing to a lesser extent) for quite a few years now. My obsession is the 20 to mid 30s due not only to the fantastic clothing but also the amazing music. I collect reissue early blues, country, jazz and world tunes from this pre-war period which I consider a golden age for music.
Awhile ago I purchased the book City of Shadows: Sydney Police Photographs 1912-1948 (by Peter Doyle) which has the most amazing photos of gangsters and petty criminals (as well as everyday 'people of interest'), in these full body shots which show incredible detail of everyday clothing (I believe the book/show got a mention in the blog listed on this site, The Sartorialist). This shabby everyday look is what I am most interested in.

I look forward to learning a few details about some of the hats I have bought.

J.

Bingles

A-List Customer
Allow me to introduce myself....

Greetings!!!
My name is Mike, though my friends call me Bingles (taking the nickname from Bing Crosby). I'm from Buffalo New York, and recently joined the Fedora Lounge.
I thought this site was so cool, and I share your passion for hats, and wear a fedora everyday whether I'm wearing a suit and tie, or jeans and a polo... I'm never without my lid.
Being born in 1982, my family refers to me as an old soul, and I often refer to myself as an old fogey (a lover of big band music and big "old lady cars"). I sometimes just like to think of myself as someone of good taste! :)
Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself and say hello to all of you out there in cyber-land!

Pola Debevoise

New in Town
Hi :) I stumbled across the forum about a week or so ago whilst looking for instructions on setting hair and i've found all the best advice here! I've admired old Hollywood style for a while, especially that of Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacall and i've found recently that its the style that works best for me.

You all seem like very stylish ladies!

fluffy-tiger

New in Town
Hey everybody, I having been reading this site forever, but never posted until recently (mainly cos I'm too lazy to go through registration processes). I've been into vintage for most of my life, and was obsessed with musicals as a kid. Unfortunately I have yet to meet anybody who has similar interests so its nice to be part of a community like this.

At last there is somewhere I can talk about hair rolls and girdles without people thinking I'm bonkers! Thank you mods for accepting me and hello to everybody.. lol P.S I live in Glasgow, Scotland

Lillemor

One Too Many
fluffy-tiger said:
Hey everybody, I having been reading this site forever, but never posted until recently (mainly cos I'm too lazy to go through registration processes). I've been into vintage for most of my life, and was obsessed with musicals as a kid. Unfortunately I have yet to meet anybody who has similar interests so its nice to be part of a community like this.

At last there is somewhere I can talk about hair rolls and girdles without people thinking I'm bonkers! Thank you mods for accepting me and hello to everybody.. lol P.S I live in Glasgow, Scotland

Hi fluffy-tiger, I used to be obsessed with musicals as a kid. I'd watch them when they were on TV, buy VHS's with the old ones, buy the soundtracks and get my dad to take me to the theaters to watch my favorite musicals when they were being performed at theaters or colleges. It's also been a lifetime interest for me but I only stumbled across the word vintage five years ago.

fluffy-tiger

New in Town
Hi fluffy-tiger, I used to be obsessed with musicals as a kid. I'd watch them when they were on TV, buy VHS's with the old ones, buy the soundtracks and get my dad to take me to the theaters to watch my favorite musicals when they were being performed at theaters or colleges. It's also been a lifetime interest for me but I only stumbled across the word vintage five years ago.

I think my obsession came from school and dance classess. I used to go to tap classes and my teachers were very old( they seemed very old to a 10 year old) and into old jazz and musicals. My headmaster at school played piano and was into old musicals as well and used to get us to sing old Disney movie songs at assembly along with boring hymns.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Hi all! Don here, I've been lurking far too long and decided to get off the wall.
I've loved clothes all my life used to dress vintage all the time, but my local sources dried up. Current styles left me empty and I lost my passion for clothes. I credit the FL with bringing me back into the fold. I've always been a fan of William Powell and John Garfield. I've watched the Thin Man series so many times my wife is worried about me. My first real job was in the old Lloyds of London shoe store anyone remember them. My Avatar is my favorite hat brand they are made by Tonak and I've been wearing them for 20
years. Also I really don't consider what I do dressing vintage. I think real style is timeless and people just have forgotten how to dress themselves.
i.e the joke that was the esquire best dressed man contest.

Chris Campbell

New in Town
Glad to be here!

Hello everyone!

Just introducing myself. I am new to the Fedora Lounge, and have been reading and viewing with great interest. The picture is me in New Orleans with the new Dobbs I bought there - I need to get some better pictures of myself. I tend to be the one taking the pictures most of the time.

I am a musician, who is currently working a straight job to support my habit. I am a saxophonist who is into jazz and the big bands. I play with the Minnesota Jazz Orchestra here in Minneapolis, and we do a Swing Night once a month where lots of people get dressed up to dance at a place caled the Wabasha Street Caves, which was a hangout for Al Capone and his ilk in the 20's and 30's.

There is a lot more, but like I said, just introducing myself. I'm glad you're all here!

-Chris Campbell

Lillemor

One Too Many
fluffy-tiger said:
I think my obsession came from school and dance classess. I used to go to tap classes and my teachers were very old( they seemed very old to a 10 year old) and into old jazz and musicals. My headmaster at school played piano and was into old musicals as well and used to get us to sing old Disney movie songs at assembly along with boring hymns.

I had an intro to dance class in my freshman year in high school and they taught us a bit of tapping among other performance styles. If I'd been able to fit it into my schedules the following three years, I would've loved to have continued with some advanced tapping classes. Sadly, that wasn't possibly.

I really enjoyed a class trip where they took us to the SF theater?? ballet?? I'm not sure what it's called. It was probably the only day in high school I enjoyed.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Swing Kitty said:
I'm a previous forum skulker, now a newbie! Decided to pluck up the courage to start posting!

I'm fascinated by the 1940s, particularly the war era, and have been for sometime now...I try to dress in the style every day, and am slowly building up a collection of vintage clothing (costing a small fortune!). I'm just about to start making my first dress from a vintage pattern though...finger's crossed it actually works!

Oh, and my next project will be some Rosie style coveralls. Which will be a challenge!

Hi everyone! ;)

Oooh, another SW Londoner! There's a few of us on here and we're hoping to get enough of us together for a swap meet. Keep an eye on the events thread for meet ups too :)

Bingles

A-List Customer
Greetings all...
Thanks for the warm welcome rmrdaddy... always nice to hear of another Bing Crosby fan!
I had a question for the lounge members in here. Why is it that I can't access member profiles? Does one earn that ability after so many months or so many posts? Just curious how it works.. I didn't see a post on it anywhere (though, that doesn't mean one doesn't exist).
Thanks!! *tips hat*

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Bingles,
Yep, you earn it after x number of posts, maybe 20 IIRC.
Be sure to check the FAQ section, 2nd tab on the top nav bar, under the logo. Lot of info in there, rules, pics posting, etc..

buuu buuu buuu buuu buuuuuuuuuuu - Ya gotta love Bing!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24