Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

my birthday is next door to yours.

scorp79 said:
Hi Ladies!

I just joined yesterday & posted about the Golden Era wedding I'm planning as well as my new baby (a 1923 victrola!) I'll be 29 this Halloween & live in Chicago with my fiance. I'm into geneaology and jazz music. I'm a big fan of the fashion of the 1920's-40's... and I think the 50's may be growing on me quite a bit. ;) I look forward to talking with you and hearing all of your great stories...

My birthday is the day after Halloween (although I am trying hard to not to count anymore.) Day of the Dead. I love that you are doing a 20's wedding! I make 50's wedding dresses and have some gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous silk satin that I combed the entire world looking for. It looks just like what Jean Harlow wore, which is MUCH thicker than most of the modern silk satins you can buy today. Anyhow, I'd LOVE to do some "Harlow" style gowns but I'm afraid there just isn't the demand for them that there is for 50's. (And those are TOTALLY fun to do, it's just that I LOVE IT ALL!)I have to be practical in my biz; as it is I totally indulge myself, and my friend who has a brain for money- which I do not- is just AFTER me to focus more on profits.

Where did you post about your wedding!? I want to read about it!

Katherine
Whirlingturban

WHOOPS!

Whoa, KittyT, thanks for telling me! I didn't know that and I was, er, just trying to introduce myself. I'll behave!:eusa_doh:

Wow a WT thread? I will have to poke around. Yipes; I hope people are saying good stuff :)

I will look for the beauty thread, too.

Thanks again!
K/wt

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Oh Welcome Katherine! I just adore my WT dress and have now worn it to quite a few weddings this summer...and been asked about it dozens of times! :D

I am going to try and find the thread so I can post it!

Blondie

Practically Family
Welcome Katherine,
i grew up in Indonesia (Jakarta ) and we used to holiday in Bali back when there was only one hotel and one dirt road to Kuta Beach, i went back a few years back and couldn't believe the changes !!!!
I can fully understand about why you would want to live there,
the people are so friendly, the food amazing and the whole tranquil atmosphere,
Hope you enjoy this forum !

Beauty thread?

HI, I'm Katherine and I just introduced myself tonight. Where would I find an "I need beauty advice" thread? Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Hi!

Weird that there are some people awake when I am! Thanks for saying hello! This is fun. It's almost like having friends!! haha! I love Bali but a lot of the time I feel like I'm on Mars.:eek:

Well goody- it's nice to talk to y'all!

K

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Whirlingturban said:
HI, I'm Katherine and I just introduced myself tonight. Where would I find an "I need beauty advice" thread? Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

There's a whole Beauty forum here, with lots of sub-threads underneath on a huge variety of topics.

To answer to one of the issues you have with your hair - slightly thin hair - the answer is LAYERS! Layers really help give thin hair some body.

If you have a slight wave to your hair, you're pretty lucky, actually. Your hair should hold sets well.

decodoll

Practically Family
Hallo ladies, I'm not new, but since it appears to have been over a year since my last post (life does get busy sometimes!), and there seem to be a ton of new faces, I thought I should reintroduce myself.

My name is Jennifer, and I have a business designing virtual vintage clothing for residents of Second Life. My favourite years are about 1938-1944, but really I'm a sucker for most anything between about 1920-1955. I moved from San Francisco to New England about a year and a half ago to be with my now hubby and am pregnant at the moment with my first. :) Luckily, I scored a huge lot of 1940's/1950's maternity wear on ebay! Yay! I've added some modern maternity cigarette pants to the mix and am pretty much set.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know all the gals that weren't here before and catching up with those of you I remember!

And Welcome Katherine! I adore my Whirling Turbans! I even managed to squeeze myself into one recently that I had ordered way ahead (before knowing I would be pregnant) for an event! Thank goodness for the elastic!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Hello...hello! New...yep...I enjoy nude walks along the beach and chasing gophers...just kidding. [huh]
Actually, I'm like most here, I've been a lurker, but something turned over my rock, and here I am. Everything is so interesting...especially the things people have made...inspires me to sew more.

A bit about myself; I actually lean more toward the dark side of things. I grew up in the deathrock scene (Now a bi-monthly reason to skank it up and dance on the weekends). I have a gauche sense of humor, I know. When I was a little girl I use dream of owning a victorian and my father use to promise me one if he ever won the lottery (god rest is soul). Shoot, I'd settle for a cute cosy bungalow or spanish revival, at this point. I use to scrape my money togehter and buy Victoria magazine (when it was still good), while my piers were reading cosmo.
I have a love for the native american culture and my decor style reflects that of the 40s or 50s Santa Fe/Native american/ north woods themes. I have grown a fondness of Mary Engelbreit, after years of working in a sweet little gift shop that sold most of her things. This statred my love for teapots and all the stuff I once called grandmaish.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
So after being a registered member for a few days, I decided I better introduce myself ;)

I'm Maggie or Meg, depending on my mood. I'm a 19 year old college student working on a Bachelor's in English and eventually a Master's in Library Science. I work at Starbucks and at the local library, and I'm a full time student.

I've always had a love of wartime fashion and swing music; I blame it on The American Girl Company and their Molly doll. I've been slowly integrating 40's/50's fashion into my wardrobe for the past 3 or 4 years. I knit, sew, crochet, paint, and read for fun.

I found the Fedora Lounge through Google and just had to join this wonderful group of kindred spirits!

Mlle.Kittie

New in Town
Well, hello.

My name is Mademoiselle Kittie (or Mademoiselle Berlin, depending on where you find me) and I am a vintage-aholic. I'm lots of other things as well; Writer, Artist, Dressmaker, English Language and Literature Student . . . but lets get back to the vintage.

My love of vintage started with the films and books I read when I was younger, from the age of ten I watched old films with my dad and admired the Femme Fatales and the other women who dressed immaculately but were also strong and kind of independent. Screw the Spice Girls, I'd rather be Mata Hari.

I have a blog, where you can see details of my exploits - particularly the 'make and do' happenings. I should warn you, I (try to) make pretty dresses, but it's rarely to pattern and usually via way of disaster.

Well that's about it, if I had to say I looked like anybody from the past it may be the illegitimate child of Marilyn Monroe and Greta Garbo (not as pretty as it sounds) and my favourite musicians are Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan and Benny Goodman. Oh, and I like typewriters.

Leila de la May

New in Town
Helllllooooooo Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D lol :D
I'm soooooooooo happy to finally be a part of this website as, I've been meaning to join for ages now but haven't had a suitable email adress to use.
oooh i'm sooo excited!!!!
Ok so I shall start off with a little bit about myself.
I'm just about 18 years old (not quite but very nearly) and I absolutley adore Historical and Vintage Fashion, It is my Life, quite literally as I am an aspiring costume designer, and plan to do a degree in the subject starting next September. My Favourite era's are the 1930s to 1950s, early 40s in particular. I dress in the style everyday (except for when i'm at home and know one can see me then I just wear old trousers, t-shirts and big old jumpers). I love watching old movies and admiring the beautiful clothes they wear, and when I have time away from my art diploma coursework (which by the way is very rarely)I like to design and recreate clothes for myself.

I hope this has given you a little taster in to the life of 'me' and I look forward to getting know all of you over the coming months.:D

Farewell my dear friends untill next we meet again.

p.s. Hi Fleur, if you recognise me I'm a recent friend of yours on myspace, one of many, I know, but I thought I'd say hi anyway.:D

SassyLindaB

Familiar Face
hehehe I finally found the welcome spot...gee that didn't take me too long at all :)

Hi! my name is Linda, I am in Sydney, Australia and love things vintage...so much more charm and appeal than the new fandango stuff nowadays.

I am an artist and am starting uni in December to get my bach. level in art :)

hope to make some "old time friends"

;)

Sydney Loren

Familiar Face
Hello to all! My name is Lauren Sydney, although I sometimes use Sydney Lorén.

I live in both Southern California and Northern New Mexico (I'm in California right now).

I found The Fedora Lounge when I was googling how to achieve Victory Rolls and was so captivated by everyone that I joined up!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SnackPacKid said:
I am a plus-sized gal, so real vintage clothing isn't *really* an option, but I bought some patterns today in my size that are repro's of the originals (Simplicity, Buttericks, and Vogue) and are actually in my size!

PISHAH!!

You can find stuff in your size...um...just be prepared to pay with your first born :rolleyes:

Be careful with those modern patterns, they include astronomical amounts of ease.

WELCOME LADIES!!!

I need to check this thread more often :eek: So many new gals! Yay!
Please look around, search, and have fun. This place is an amazing ever growing resource, and new members add tons!

Have fun ladies :)

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Leila de la May said:
p.s. Hi Fleur, if you recognise me I'm a recent friend of yours on myspace, one of many, I know, but I thought I'd say hi anyway.:D

Yay! I'm so glad you got yourself an email to sign up with! Welcome!

And welcome all you other new ladies too!

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I've found the Lounge some Months ago but decided now to join it officially, after I was only watching from the side streets. I'm living in Germany and became a great fan of vintage things through looking old movies. It started during the eighties from behind the communist side of the world, where I was watching late in the evening some movies like casablanca and the like, well and it was fascinating. Since then I was allways a kind of drawn to that what you call here the Golden Era. Indy gave the rest to it and since some time I am collecting vintage watches of the 30s and 40s, especially the ones from Hamilton.

I'll hope we will have a great time and can discuss a lot about the "good old days".

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24