Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
Hello, all! My name's Tim (Dr. Smith to my students), and I'm a lecturer in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Michigan. My wife and I are fans of old movies and occasionally go swing dancing, but are otherwise new to the vintage clothing culture that seems to have sprung up while we weren't paying attention.

I've been slowly moving toward a more vintage look since I finished my postdoc and started spending more time in lecture prep than in the lab. I find it amusing that I can get complimented on dressing well when I haven't even bothered to put on a tie! Blazer and turtleneck is relatively dressy in this department, though some of the older faculty keep to more classic standards.

Following the discussions here is great fun, and I hope to continue learning from you all. Thank you for creating such a fun forum!

Michael Jecks

New in Town
Well, I've just been allowed to join - and having just watched Olivier acting as Mr de Winter in Rebecca, I suppose this is a good time to introduce myself.

I'm a very keen hat-owner. I presently own about thirty two of them - but only two fedoras. Most of mine are basic tools - peaked hats for keeping my glasses dry. So I own several deerstalkers, some flat caps, two rally caps, a number of country-style (that's English country) tweed hats, and a few baseball caps - including one lovely blue one with the Glock Perfection logo (I used to shoot a M21).

Since reading this site, though, I've developed a fascination for fedoras, and I'm hoping that my latest acquisition (you guys have persuaded me) of an Akubra Federation will get around my usual problem: a large (63-64) head with a longish face. You try getting a fed that looks good in those dimensions! I think the Federation should be OK, with any luck.

Beyond that, I am an author of crime books - 28 and counting. I write medieval novels set in Dartmoor, so I walk around a lot (Two Tilley Endurables for that) for my research. I've been a keen collector of finer things - I love my Conway Stewart Drake and Churchill fountain pens, my pocket watch from Moretonhampstead, built by a Napoleonic POW, and my library.

I also love my dogs. Although the morning I came downstairs to find my Rhodesian Ridgeback had eaten two hats was not one of the best days in my - or her - life!

Emmaline

New in Town
Hello there!

As seems to be a common thing around here, I have been lurking around the Lounge almost constantly since I discovered it a couple weeks ago and finally got brave enough to join and post!
I have always had an infatuation with vintage styles and particularly the absolutely fabulous 50s housewife! I am 22, a navy wife and a former sailor myself. South Carolina is currently our home, but not particularly by choice:rolleyes: I hope to someday become skilled enough at vintage hair and makeup and accumulate the clothes to be all vintage all the time, but till then i will wear my three outfits and slightly sloppy pincurls to death!
I look forward to a long and happy affair with the Fedora Lounge and all the lovely folks here!

Tulip

New in Town
Good evening ladies! It's lovely to join this community. My favourite eras are the 30s, 40s and 50s - but not just for the clothes - the hats too (vintage hats are taking over my life and apartment)! Recently, I've begun to delve into the cultural side of things - movies, music, design etc.

Rosielee - I LOVE your hats! If my bank didn't hate me so much right now, I'd snap one up quick sharp!

See you flowers around xx

Tulip

New in Town
Thanks Kitty! It's genetics I'm afraid, and English rain - turns my (naturally curly) straightened locks into ringlets. Very odd! xx

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
CigarSam

Noticed we had a new member from my hometown. Just wanted to say hi and hope we can meet up sometime and have a smoke. Drop a line when you can.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself. I'm a longtime fan and collector of what my husband calls "crazy old stuff." And by that he means lovely vintage treasures. Or that is what I tell people. :)

Elina

New in Town
Hello!

I'm a member since yesterday...!

My name is Elina, I'm 20 years old and I live in the North of Sweden (where I've always lived.) I don't have a permanent job right now. I do some work within church here, as a youth leader etc, and I do a LOT of music. I sing in choirs, and I play the guitar and sing myself. This autumn, I'm planning to attend for a folk high school to study music. Yey!

I've been very interested in the old days, since I was 14. It all started with that I began to listen to music from the 60's and The Beatles. I still love the Beatles, their music mean a lot to me!
So, in the beginning I was very into the 60's, and the "hippie" style, and I began to search for, and buy some clothes from the 60's, or 60's inspired clothes with psychedelic patterns, etc.

Through the years, I've became more and more interested in the old days, searching for vintage clothes etc. But, it's not until quite recently, that I've promised myself to start buy ONLY second-hand, and vintage clothes. I don't like today's fashion really, and I don't feel very comfortable in today's clothes...Of course there can be found som nice "modern" pieces here and there.

Since January, this year, I've started to experiment with vintage hairstyles as well! I discovered pin curls and I think it's great fun! It's been quite a challenge for me, doing pin curls and vintage hair styles, becaus my hair is very fine, with thin hairs. It's not "heavy" at all and tends to be frizzy, and all that issues one can get with fine hair. But, after almost 3 months of practicing pin curls, I slowly begin to get the hang of it, more and more. I still wish that my hair was thick...but, there's nothing to do about it, than to accept it as it is.

I guess I'm still very fond of the 60's, but nowadays I'm more into the 40's, and 50's as well. The days of glamour! I really like the fashion from those periods. Very feminine, beautiful, and flattering to the figure. I mostly wear dresses, but I'd like to buy some pretty vintage blouses too, and sew me pretty skirt to go with.

Here are a few pics

10wk4xt.jpg

2wmkzdt.jpg

nwwmmr.jpg

(These two are from today)

mt0cxg.jpg

15ckhe8.jpg

That's me

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Elina! It's great to have a new member in the Scandinavian Beauty Gang ;)
You should move to the south!

2wmkzdt.jpg

Pretty, pretty, pretty!

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Hello all. My name is Dave, and I am in the Los Angeles area. I enjoy vintage jackets, and gear. I found TFL while researching leather jackets a week or so ago. I wish I would have found it long ago.

I work in public safety, and am involved in aviation. I enjoy vintage gear, cars, aircraft, and old school things in general!

ShadyDell

New in Town
Hello Beautiful Ladies!

My name is Jen and I am very new to the lounge. Still getting the hang of making my way around the site. A high school classmate of mine from many moons ago invited me to join. I live in Bisbee, AZ with my beau, Justin and we own a vintage trailer court called The Shady Dell and Dot's Diner (www.theshadydell.com).

We live and breathe the 40's and 50's and love to share this with our guests who come and stay. It is refreshing to see others who are crazy about collecting and dressing in this style too! I see that some of you will be attending Viva Las Vegas 2009. We will be there with our truck and 1956 trailer. It would be swell to meet some of you in person!

Jen :)

Hela

New in Town
Hello to all

Hi my name is Heather (Hela is a nickname), I'm 39, a graphic artist living in Vermont, US. And I found this site by doing a search on hairstyles of the 40's, and I am so happy that I did, it is fabulous. Everyone seems very nice and willing to help out, I will probably be needing some of that in the future, fair warning. I guess my interest comes from the music, from every era really, I hate to limit myself by listening to one genre, seems like a big waste when there are so many beautiful things from everyone of them. As far as the "look" I am attracted to the 40's mostly, but of course I like them all! I don't really have much in the way of vintage clothing, I usually go to thrift stores to see what I can find but I don't seem to have much luck in finding anything that fits. I guess I'll have to brush up on my sewing skills, hopefully that won't make me take up drinking too. Enough about me, I am looking forward to reading all the posts and seeing more beautiful pictures of all of you! (hmmm...I guess that was about me)

DameIniquitous

New in Town
Hello, I'm Iniquitous.

I'm 25 and currently dividing my time between Toronto and Ottawa, Canada. I'm a university student.

I've been a fan of older styles for several years. I first saw styles from the 40's and 50's oddly enough through the old tv show 'Mystery Science Theatre 3000'.

I'm still very new at it, and right now I think my hair is too short to do anything nice with it, but I'm slowly growing it out.

Hela

New in Town
Welcome

Hi DameIniquitous, welcome to the Lounge. I am new to this myself, but there is tons of ideas and help through out the threads. Like the name by the way :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo