Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
View attachment 103715 Hello everyone. I just signed up after finding this forum looking for hat making information. After a long hiatus from regularly wearing hats, I’ve started a new collection, and recently began making my own. Here’s a pic of my first fedora in wool. I went cheap just in case I messed it up.
Good on ya Dave. Welcome to the Fray. Lots of great information here for you. Google-fu is your friend, just add "Fedora Lounge" to your search terms and enjoy the ride!

Thank you, and that is a brilliant idea. I never thought of adding the forum name to Google searches.
The search function at the top of the Lounge page is a little wonky. The suggestion by @deadlyhandsome is a great start. If you do some digging, there are some older threads concerning stitching, hat blocks, and all things hatter. You will enjoy the ride.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Good looking first lid there Dave. You may also want to head over to the Photos of Hatter's Tools thread for information about the hat making tools and processes that will make your endeavors a little easier.

DaveSobel

New in Town
Good looking first lid there Dave. You may also want to head over to the Photos of Hatter's Tools thread for information about the hat making tools and processes that will make your endeavors a little easier.
Thank you. And funny thing , that’s one of the threads that came up in my Google searches for hatters tools and techniques. Definitely some good stuff over there.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I just wanted to take moment to introduce myself. I’m married and a father of three. I’m a career firefighter and I hold the rank of Division Chief. I found the Fedora Lounge while on the internet looking for information on fedora style hats. I have browsed the site for months and have found some great information. I have always enjoyed the look and style of the fedora and I was hooked as a young boy watching reruns of the television show The Adventures of Superman staring George Reeves. He was larger than life when he wore his fedora as Clark Kent. I was born in 1967 so I guess I was watching the show in the mid 1970’s. I remember asking my mother why men didn’t wear hats like that anymore and she said she’s wasn’t sure. Fast forward a couple of decades and the fedora started making a comeback and I was like, cool. I bought a tribily fedora but I never wore it much because it was at the time more of a “boy band” hat. Moving forward this past May I was advised by my doctor to start wearing more long sleeve shirts and full brim hat after he removed an area of skin cancer off of my arm. So the silver lining to that situation was I was in the market for a new hat. Currently I own three cotton safari fedoras and one PFG Panama style hat. I haven’t purchased any vintage hats yet but I’m sure I will.

Steven

I just wanted to take moment to introduce myself. I’m married and a father of three. I’m a career firefighter and I hold the rank of Division Chief. I found the Fedora Lounge while on the internet looking for information on fedora style hats. I have browsed the site for months and have found some great information. I have always enjoyed the look and style of the fedora and I was hooked as a young boy watching reruns of the television show The Adventures of Superman staring George Reeves. He was larger than life when he wore his fedora as Clark Kent. I was born in 1967 so I guess I was watching the show in the mid 1970’s. I remember asking my mother why men didn’t wear hats like that anymore and she said she’s wasn’t sure. Fast forward a couple of decades and the fedora started making a comeback and I was like, cool. I bought a tribily fedora but I never wore it much because it was at the time more of a “boy band” hat. Moving forward this past May I was advised by my doctor to start wearing more long sleeve shirts and full brim hat after he removed an area of skin cancer off of my arm. So the silver lining to that situation was I was in the market for a new hat. Currently I own three cotton safari fedoras and one PFG Panama style hat. I haven’t purchased any vintage hats yet but I’m sure I will.

Steven
Does your Cougar still have working sequential rear lights?

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
14491A36-670E-4E81-B295-C797673E8A33.jpeg
Thanks for the replies. Yes my Cougar has it’s working sequential taillights.

Steven
Welcome to the Fray Steven. Your hat stable will increase while you are here. Many enablers on the Lounge.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Steven
You are so very welcome to this new world of hat fanatics. Firemen have a special place in our family in my home, my Husband's grandpa was one of the original Fire Chiefs that started up the old Waterford, Michigan, Fire Station way back in the late 1930's. Imagine for being just a small kid, getting a ride to school with Grandpa taking you on the Fire Engine! Lot of vintage history there and of course, good stories of how things were done back in the day around the Fire House.

dad_bod

New in Town
Hi all. I've been lurking around as a guest for a while and would like to introduce myself. I'm a married father of two (2.5 yrs and 3 months), living in the northern suburbs of Perth in Western Australia. I came here for the hats, but might stay for the jackets...

My hat collection is modest and started with an Akubra Hampton a few years ago, quickly followed by an Akubra Trilby and an Akubra Casablanca (anyone see a pattern forming?).

When my daughter hit toddler age, my wife and I started making her wear a hat when ever we went out. Children in Aus are gerenally required to wear a hat to school and they have to use it during recess and lunch times or they're not allowed outside (skin cancer is a major health issue here). But that got me thinking, if I make my kids wear hats for their protection, why am I not wearing one? I quickly purchased a beat up Akubra Snowy River second hand and set about getting comfortable with larger brims.

I've since aquired a Riverina, a Leisure Time and a Byron (I'm not a fan of the straw- but would love to try a real Panama). I try to get them second hand locally, and there are some Akubra bargains around because people in the city don't really wear them (the snowy river coat $15).

The original Snowy River has since been fedora-ized, with its brim chopped, crown popped, and the leather band replaced by Grosgrain ribbon (looks purple in th r image but its most certainly brown in real life). I have done this myself with dressmakers scissors and my tea kettle (and countless hours patience standing still in my kitchen trying to rock my son to sleep with my free hand). It's a bit amateurish, but I like it and I now refer to it a my Showy River.

IMG_5021.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

RJR

Hi all. I've been lurking around as a guest for a while and would like to introduce myself. I'm a married father of two (2.5 yrs and 3 months), living in the northern suburbs of Perth in Western Australia. I came here for the hats, but might stay for the jackets...

My hat collection is modest and started with an Akubra Hampton a few years ago, quickly followed by an Akubra Trilby and an Akubra Casablanca (anyone see a pattern forming?).

When my daughter hit toddler age, my wife and I started making her wear a hat when ever we went out. Children in Aus are gerenally required to wear a hat to school and they have to use it during recess and lunch times or they're not allowed outside (skin cancer is a major health issue here). But that got me thinking, if I make my kids wear hats for their protection, why am I not wearing one? I quickly purchased a beat up Akubra Snowy River second hand and set about getting comfortable with larger brims.

I've since aquired a Riverina, a Leisure Time and a Byron (I'm not a fan of the straw- but would love to try a real Panama). I try to get them second hand locally, and there are some Akubra bargains around because people in the city don't really wear them (the snowy river coat $15).

The original Snowy River has since been fedora-ized, with its brim chopped, crown popped, and the leather band replaced by Grosgrain ribbon (looks purple in th r image but its most certainly brown in real life). I have done this myself with dressmakers scissors and my tea kettle (and countless hours patience standing still in my kitchen trying to rock my son to sleep with my free hand). It's a bit amateurish, but I like it and I now refer to it a my Showy River.

View attachment 106148

View attachment 106150
Welcome to the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana