Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now that's what I call a stylish camp!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Found this picture and that's what I call a camp.

Canvas bell tent
Campaign hat
Khaki shirt
Shorts

That's style, I am getting a bell tent this year so with my campaign hat perhaps a recreation ;-)

Nearly as good as Renault's camp.
image.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
When I was Active, those were called 'squad tents', presumably on the theory that you could sleep an entire rifle squad in one. That led me to believe that riflemen must have been smaller in the day when they were designed! A five man fire team would have been cozy but all eleven? Only if they were huddling together for warmth. And you can only stand upright in the very center. Stylish, perhaps but far from as practical as a good wall tent and just as time-consuming to erect.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Hear what you are saying Old Sarge and sadly agree, I think the 70's frame tents are the best for use, however if I do get one it will only be used by three or two and will be 4 or 5 meter as 11 riflemen sounds a rather "cozy" experience that would be best avoided, reminds me of camping in an old canvas ridge tent with my most of my old water polo team! Not good :)

Last year I saw a bright orange two man canvas ridge tent, reminded me of my youth but for that size I would rather have my small dome tent for weight and ease of use.

This is a great photo though. And given your last photo OldSarge in a fine set of tweeds, that befits a luxury marquee rather than a scout tent:)

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Found this picture and that's what I call a camp.

Canvas bell tent
Campaign hat
Khaki shirt
Shorts

That's style, I am getting a bell tent this year so with my campaign hat perhaps a recreation ;-)

Nearly as good as Renault's camp.
View attachment 22535

I definitely appreciate that intrepid scout on the stool, there in the middle. Excellent pose!!

Thanks Mr Godfrey! Just now getting caught up on pasts posts!!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
In the 80s, I slept in my bosses teepee, complete with buffalo rug as my mattress, and wool blanket. I guise where he had it blessed by a Shaman to word of evil spirits must have worked, I slept like a baby!

Renault

One Too Many
An excellent form of entertainment is to get a six pack or two. A comfy chair. And watch a couple erect their new tipi at an event for the first time. It is proper form not to assist until asked. ;).

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
In the 80s, I slept in my bosses teepee, complete with buffalo rug as my mattress, and wool blanket. I guise where he had it blessed by a Shaman to word of evil spirits must have worked, I slept like a baby!

Sounds like fun, I did not realise how soft and warm a buffalo hide was, I saw one last year. At the Wilderness Gathering and I have say one is on the list of things to get in the next few years, more for the couch rather than camping but it would be cool.

I remember a youth hostel that had tepees and covered wagons to stay in on Vashion Island, Seattle, great experience and a great camp, I also remember you could get 10 ears of corn for a dollar when they where about £1.50 for two in the UK at the time!.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner