Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now this is more like it! - Duchess of Cambridge in Canada outfit.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As someone who wasn't really around when Diana was alive, I don't understand the comparisons. She's her own person - who never knew Diana - and I'm sure W&K hate it.

Personally, the comparisons make me uncomfortable, and I can't imagine it is comfortable for this couple. Diana and Charles had a rocky marriage and a very public divorce, and I personally wouldn't want my marriage or wedding compared to that. (There were plenty of comparisons at least here on the US press.) The fact that Diana died young and tragically, leaving two children behind- one of whom is the subject of comparison- also seems unsettling.

Most of the comparisons are meant to be flattering, but I still wouldn't want to constantly be reminded through comparison. As the bride, I could imagine it would be quite intimidating too, to constantly be compared to your husband's mother who has passed on. It's a high bar to try to pass: to be as good as someone who died young, and has had her memory and good deeds constantly mentioned (with the more negative things glossed over, due to a tragic death).

I don't mind the stylistic comparisons that much- just when they start to get to the relationship, personality, or image stuff that seems.... off.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I think it's quite insulting to compare her, Diana had issues and I'm afraid I have far more respect for other royals who do their thing quietly and without rigmarole...

Anyhoo, I don't want to Diana bash-but I hope Kate stands her ground and is her own person and doesn't get 'assimilated' into the Royal Collective.

And how in God's name does she get her hair that shiny? Witchcraft...has to be. Burn her! Burn the witch!

;-D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I agree - I said similar things on another thread about her 'vintage' style hat. It's nice for her to 'be herself' but sometimes she just looks dull to me. I hope she feels brave and starts making some interesting fashion choices in the future.

Comparing her to Diana is just nonsense and they should stop it right now. It is very unfair on the poor girl and frankly, in very poor taste.

Oh dear, I'm going to be the voice of disenchantment.

I think she dresses in excess of her years, the shoes are too slim in the heel and very 'nunty'

I think she needs to put the pre-wedding pounds back on, she looks gaunt and lo-llypop headed.

I wish she would stop putting such thick liner on her lower lids, it makes the eyes look piggy and again it's very ageing.

Lastly, I wish they would stop comparing her to Diana. Not all of us believe that the woman was a saint and the Daily Hate are obsessed to the point of stalking (beyond the grave) when it must be painul and irritating to William and Harry. Today the BBC kept making pointed comments about babies and I can see it coming, the day that she or her sister (really sick of hearing about her backside) trips up and they will come down on her like a ton of bricks.

I like the girl, I think she's sweet but please don't lets go down the Diana route again..we all know where it ends. As an Irish gal I do like the navy military inspired coat dress and the brooch!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It's nice for her to 'be herself' but sometimes she just looks dull to me. I hope she feels brave and starts making some interesting fashion choices in the future.

Unlike her total fashion maven sister, right? (I don't understand the fuss about Pippa Middleton's 'style,' shes very quietly conservative and apparently this is explosive.)

Speaking of inappropriate comparisons, the press keep hinting that Pippa and Prince Harry should get together which is just silly.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Unlike her total fashion maven sister, right? (I don't understand the fuss about Pippa Middleton's 'style,' shes very quietly conservative and apparently this is explosive.)

Speaking of inappropriate comparisons, the press keep hinting that Pippa and Prince Harry should get together which is just silly.

Indeed seeing as Prince hot ginge and I are the future couple to watch!

I agree with Miss Sis, i don't see all the fuss about her sister, as she is also a rather conservative dresser, nothing out of the ordinary.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The Globe & Mail (our largest newspaper) is crazy about her:

Some say Philippa, or Pip, as her family calls her, overshadowed Kate on her big day, at least on the Web, where the 27-year-old party planner was trending higher than her sister on the social-networking site Friday morning.

Royal watchers cooed over her hourglass frame in that dress – more specifically, the back of that dress, lined seductively with organza-covered buttons.

“Oh god. Pippa looks better. AWKWARD,” one royal fan tweeted.

“Pippa Middleton stole the show!” squealed another.

It was a simple cowl necked dress... She's not especially hourglass shaped either.

But enough with the Pippa bashing. lol

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree. They are both stunning. No more Pippa bashing. I feel for Kate a little. Maybe she is playing it a bit safe, but all eyes are on her and i'm sure she will branch out and become a little more daring as she relaxes more into her role.

I mean wearing really avant-garde couture for example or the latest fashions aren't appropriate for all the engagements she has to attend and she would probably only be criticised for being too 'out there'. Really she is and always has been a classic dresser and she does that classic style really well. She has worn alot of the most popular british designers lately and i think looked really good on the whole.

I don't even mind the eyeliner, sure it's not that flattering, but it's obviously her comfort blanket makeup, so fair play to her.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I do like this Alexander McQueen knit sailor dress, it's quite vintage inspired isn't it! Although I read comments that people thought it was the wrong cut on her, and Sarah Jessica Parker wore it better (look here)... I think it looks even more 20s/30s with her straight frame.

july4-mcqueen.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't get how she dresses is too conservative and too old for her. Is it the colors she chooses? The cut's? The fact that she seems to wear suits a lot?

This is a serious question. I think she could probably at least open up her wardrobe color choices a bit (I think magenta, turquoise, dark purple, or dark burgundy colors would look fabulous on her- go for the jewel tones) and perhaps wear suits that are more figure flattering to her shape.

Given the fact that I'm from the US (and probably don't really understand the whole royality thing and what is appropriate or not appropriate) I don't know what else she could wear but suits to most of the stuff she does...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Given the fact that I'm from the US (and probably don't really understand the whole royality thing and what is appropriate or not appropriate) I don't know what else she could wear but suits to most of the stuff she does...

Royalty is probably better off dressing conservatively. We don't want another Wallis Simpson, or worse, Beatrice and Eugenie ;)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I think for her age, it's difficult to strike a balance between classy, safe, elegant and ever so slightly edgy.

Pippa? Oh don't get me started on Pippa...My sis' was a Sloanie in the 80s, pinstriped blouses, pearls and ballet pumps.. ..nothing changes and Lord when she deigned to wear a 'high street' jacket (it was still well over £200!) the press were queuing up to kiss her (oh my, isnt it perfect according to the Daily Mail) bottom.
I'm glad Kate has embraced British designers, we do have a wealth of talent here so it's good to see. As someone else said maybe she'll grow into her style given time and space from the papparazzi.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
image-5-for-kate-middleton-grocery-shopping-a-week-after-royal-wedding-with-prince-william-gallery-3847417121.jpg

A week after the wedding, as she does the weekly shop like any other housewife. In a loose-fitting green poncho and white V-neck sweatshirt worn with skinny jeans and ballet pumps … looking great as always!:eusa_clap

I like her when she dresses elegant or casual, formal or informal, shorts or bikini...

I just like her :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I do like this Alexander McQueen knit sailor dress, it's quite vintage inspired isn't it! Although I read comments that people thought it was the wrong cut on her, and Sarah Jessica Parker wore it better (look here)... I think it looks even more 20s/30s with her straight frame.

july4-mcqueen.jpg

I absolutely adore this dress on her - one of my faves so far.....

Puzzicato

One Too Many
And how in God's name does she get her hair that shiny? Witchcraft...has to be. Burn her! Burn the witch!

;-D

I'll light the torch. She really does have the most magnificent hair. I have very good hair, but hers speaks to a pretty good diet and a lot of attention!

i don't think it has anything to do with her clothes and all to do with her arse. I'm just worried that she'll put on 1lb and the Daily Mail will do their best "OMG She's so fat, how can she leave the house?" number on her.

I agree with you. If she did wear something brightly coloured or unusual in design she'd get ripped to shreds as well. She has always been a pretty conservative dresser, so I think she should just be allowed to get on with looking appropriate. In her job, "appropriate" is pretty much the highest accolade.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree with Puzzicato - if she did wear something daring she would get raked over hot coals. Also the minute she puts on a few pounds. she will be accused of letting herself go. As for Pippa i don't see the fuss over the arse myself, sure the bridesmaids dress showed off her bottom nicely but it is the bottom of a fourteen year old boy. Personally i have always thought a bit of junk in the trunk a la J-lo more impressive. But that's me and i'm not Pippa bashing at all. They are both lovely looking girls. It's the media that blows these things out of proportion and i'm having none of it!!

I agree with the hair though, it is out of this world and i like the fact she gets her legs out as much as possible too as they are pretty amazing!

All in all i think they are both pretty savvy clothes wise, it might be called playing it safe, but when you have the media to contend with on a daily basis, i think they are making the right choices.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I agree with the hair though, it is out of this world and i like the fact she gets her legs out as much as possible too as they are pretty amazing!

I suspect she doesn't dye or put product in her hair, which is why its so sleek :) It is lovely, a nice deep chestnut colour.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think for her age, it's difficult to strike a balance between classy, safe, elegant and ever so slightly edgy.

We rarely see young women under 35 dressing in suits, so I think we associate suits with older women, and (because older women buy suits) most are designed for the older women. I've had trouble trying to find suits that I like, most of the suits aren't styled for people who are young professionals.

I agree with you. If she did wear something brightly coloured or unusual in design she'd get ripped to shreds as well.

At least in the US, with the recession, everybody is really picky about what politicians wear and do, particularly if it looks like they are trying to show off that they have money. Right now it's in vogue to pretend you're middle class, anything that looks like you're trying to show you're rich is read as being showy and seen as distasteful, given the economy and the jobless rate.

As for Kate and William, I think William could coordinate his outfits more with her. For instance, pick up the colors in her suits and blouses in his tie and shirt. When his bride is wearing that sailor outfit, wear a cream/ beige shirt and a dark blue tie, echoing the colors in her dress. It would make them look more put together as a couple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw