Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now this is more like it! - Duchess of Cambridge in Canada outfit.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Royalty is probably better off dressing conservatively. We don't want another Wallis Simpson, or worse, Beatrice and Eugenie ;)

So true. Those "things" they wore on their heads at the wedding were ridiculous. What happened to conservative classy dressing at weddings?

angeljenny

A-List Customer
So true. Those "things" they wore on their heads at the wedding were ridiculous. What happened to conservative classy dressing at weddings?

They can look awful at times but they have so much potential! They are really pretty girls and have access to all sorts of clothes.

They don't always look utterly dreadful!

Princess-Eugenie-at-Ascot_1.jpg_e_895f0aedb4081a2fc0b39d83b40bf68b.jpg

Eugenie1.jpg_e_895f0aedb4081a2fc0b39d83b40bf68b.jpg

article-0-0CB40DCB00000578-638_634x762.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I think they are wearing those hats wrong, in the first place. It makes me want to go up to them and push them back on their heads. Tilt forward, yes. Fall off your face, no. A hat is not a headband! Why is the back sticking up three inches off their head???

Then I want to grab anything that is on those hats more than a foot off their heads and pull it off. The one on the right I'd push the whole caboose down on the hat, and again, rip off the top portion that still sticks up. Somebody just had too much fun with the glue. This is not a competition for building the highest hat or to see how much your glue can hold.

With those two changes, they wouldn't look that bad.

Oh, and give me the jacket on the right for my hat mending services.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I think both Beatrice and Eugenie need to learn to dress for their figures - and fair enough too, they are both very young and do dress better than most women their age! Eugenie seems to be very keen on Vivianne Westwood, but doesn't always choose the best designs for her figure - the red dress is very flattering, the suit she wore to the wedding not so much.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree with that awful outfit for the wedding, i mean i like Westwood but it looked like chintz sofa covers and didn't fit properly. The red gown is better but a little old for her i think, Nigella Lawson always rocks that type of Westwood gown.

Actually i think they don't always dress too badly. They are still young and finding their feet, not everyone is born with style and they maybe need to just grown into their style a bit more and perhaps find a new stylist! I think there is a bit of a case of the emperors new clothes going on!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
What about this lovely yellow (probably silk) dress she wore arriving to Calgary yesterday. A perfect little shirt waist if you ask me. The designer is Jenny Packham. Wouldn't look at all out of place at a 40s event.

Kateyellowdress.jpg

A better look at the bodice.

126610-britains-prince-william-and-his-wife-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-ar.jpg

Here's the back. Can you tell I sew? Trying to find shots that cover all the detail of the dress. Yes, it was a little windy, she had a bit of a time staying decent.

126590-britains-prince-william-and-his-wife-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-ar.jpg

zombi

A-List Customer
Well, I personally quite like that military inspired dress, the sailor dress, and the yellow shirtwaist! I love her taste in jewellery. If I were just married to a prince and had everyone's eyes on me, I might be inclined to be more conservative, too. In any case, I think she's very pretty!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think Kate's style is evolving to a certain level of elegance, at least with her dress clothes.

A quote from Coco Chanel comes to mind.......

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.

She's thirty years old and married to the future king; not a young fashion model dating a rock and roller.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Tomasso, I'm enjoying your elegance quotes. :)

I'm not one to watch fashion or the Royals but when I do see them- my mom lives with me now and watches more tele- Kate does always look so lovely. In a classic way.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
What about this lovely yellow (probably silk) dress she wore arriving to Calgary yesterday. A perfect little shirt waist if you ask me. The designer is Jenny Packham. Wouldn't look at all out of place at a 40s event.

Kateyellowdress.jpg

A better look at the bodice.

126610-britains-prince-william-and-his-wife-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-ar.jpg

Here's the back. Can you tell I sew? Trying to find shots that cover all the detail of the dress. Yes, it was a little windy, she had a bit of a time staying decent.

126590-britains-prince-william-and-his-wife-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-ar.jpg

I thought that was lovely - such a pretty colour! She needs the Queen's trick of sewing weights into the hem though.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
I think Kate's style is evolving to a certain level of elegance, at least with her dress clothes.

A quote from Coco Chanel comes to mind.......

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.

She's thirty years old and married to the future king; not a young fashion model dating a rock and roller.

Great quote! I totally agree, Tomasso! I think Kate is beautiful and her clothing choices have been lovely and personal. I love her sailor dress, the yellow shirtdress and the military ensemble -- the addition of the shamrock pin made the outfit ever-so-slightly whimsical. She is not trying to be a celebrity, but rather royalty and she's doing it beautifully! I admire her grace under all this media attention.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree with Tomasso too. I watched an hour long special on the visit to Canada last night and every outfit was chic and elegant and she looked relaxed and comfortable in her outfits. Even in jeans and a cowboy hat she looked at ease and very stylish. A triumph! I think the important thing is she wears the clothes and not the other way round. She knows what suits her and what the ocasion demands sartorially and has dressed with aplomb i think on the whole.

Puzzicato - i loved the little yellow dress too, very forties. I love the nude heels too, if in doubt nude heels all the way!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I adore Kate's style. I think she dresses very classic and elegant. She always looks lovely and very natural and comfortable. Her clothes fit her well and she never wears anything that is too revealing or garish. She looks pretty and like a lady. I do think she dresses conservatively and "plays it safe" due to her position - but I also don't think there is anything at all wrong with that. She looks great every time I see photos of her.

I am a member of another online forum, a large portion of which is devoted to modern-day fashion. Kate is much-reviled there. Her style is dismissed as "matronly" and "hideous." I can only surmise that people are so accustomed to seeing the (ugh) Kardashians and other public figures in clothing (or lack thereof) more suited to ladies of the evening, that it is now somehow considered normal. I keep asking my husband when "stripper-chic" became the norm.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart