Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Well I am a special ed teacher so I am moving constantly. I try to go to the gym 3 times a week, some times it happens sometimes it doesn't. But I do watch what I eat by means of just trying to be healthy.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
now down 12.5 lbs!

Update: I'm down 12.5 lbs, since August 17 to October 22! I didn't weigh in this week as I was really busy on Thurs, Fri and the weekend. I try to weigh in at the YMCA late in the week each week. I'm feeling good, and my blood pressure is doing fine.

Woohoo, Under 10 lbs to go to get to where I was before all the stress flared up big time and the stress eating happened late November 08. I was much heavier by the time I joined FL in March 09.

SayCici

Practically Family
I watch what I eat only in the sense that I'm vegan. I don't diet but I do like to eat healthily and I don't eat junk food. When I eat something like cookies or ice cream, it's usually an occasion and it's something I made myself and knew where all the ingredients came from.

Unfortunately I'm kinda bad at the exercising part. During the spring and summer I ride my bike, but for the cold months there aren't any indoor activities I do.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I am getting ready to take part in my favorite of all vintage appropriate winter activities...skiing!!! We will try to get up and do a vintage inspired day this year, spring if nothing sooner. And take pictures! I love vintage ski photos and footage, being from Colorado the history of skiing is very special to me!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Mrs. Merl said:
By the way, does anybody know if there is a thread devoted to such. If not I may start one!

There's not much too it yet, but I found this:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15651

and this, which has images of men:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6223

If you start a new thread, maybe include winter sports such as ice skating?
ice_skating_in_tuxedo_park_ny_1920_poster-p228941341566899457qzz0_400.jpg

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
But I am terrible at ice skating!:p Just kidding! I just think vintage ski/winter stuff is sooo great that there should be a place to share all things related!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How are we doing, ladies? I've been working out about 5x/wk and it's been working well, go figure. I've lost some extra inches off the waist. Only one off the ass though. lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm down 10 lbs this week from Dec. 27th. Not too bad. I need to take my measurements soon. I'm only on the excercise 3xs a week. Trying to increase the length of time in each session right now. So far to go though!

Congrats Bella!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm down 15 lbs since mid August. All my skirts and casual jeans and cords are too big now in the waist- I definitely need to get the skirts altered. Been exercising 5 days a week, some days doubling up on activities. Everything I'm doing is at my local YMCA; Pilates, lap swimming, free weights and Zumba and BodyVive. If I can find the occasional off-site ballroom dancing event, I try to get that in too.

Here's a good before and after shot- with my wearing the same dress and belt (now buckled tighter), even wearing the same strapless brassiere. Big difference!
before:
373070805.jpg

after:
381396702.jpg

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
You look fantastic ChanteuseCarey! I noticed in your avatar how great you look. I put on extra weight 18 months ago after having surgery.You have encouraged me to keep going. I so was proud of myself today walking right past Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I have such a sweet tooth! I'm excited that I can finally fit into a blouse I had bought online and had never got to wear as I couldn't do it up properly.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I Stopped Eating Wheat and Started Losing Fat

I recently found out that I gained 20 pounds since 2005. :eek: I'll make a long story short and just say that I figured out it was mostly because I was eating wheat (and junk food that it gave me cravings for). Since I bought a scale two weeks ago, I've lost three pounds without doing anything else differently.

If you'd like the details on how I arrived at this conclusion, and the results I've gotten, I've written about it in my blog at http://relievemypain.blogspot.com/. See "Gettin' off the Train to Fat City" and "Wheat Free (Almost): On the Right Track."

I think this goes along with what was the conventional wisdom up until the 80s: a starchy diet puts on weight.

The book Eating for Life has some before and after profiles of people who changed their diet and exercise habits and got in shape. Most of the before diets were either huge portions, or consisted of a lot of wheat products. Most of the after diets had only one or two (at most) servings of wheat products per day. (Some people can eat wheat without putting on weight. I was having only one serving per day, and it was one too many.)

This cardiologist advises his patients to try a wheat-free diet for four weeks. Most of them, he says, lose weight.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/wheat-belly.html

If you want an even easier way to see if wheat might be a general problem, do the grocery cart experiment. Next time you're at the grocery store, see what people have in their carts, and look at the people pushing them. The woman in line in front of me yesterday had three loaves of bread, a 10-pound bag of potatoes, a tub of yogurt and not much else. The one behind me had a cart full of fruits and vegetables, red meat, and a bag of about six English muffins. Guess which one was overweight.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I'm going to need to take up more indoor exercise activities since it's been pretty soggy off and on since the new year. I know I've put on a few pounds and I'm eager to get them off. Anyone have some fun ideas for exercises? One of my reenactment buddies was in to hula hooping, and had a special one to use in her work outs. She told me one time she hula hooped her way right out the door, to the mailbox and back. :)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Jennifer Lynn said:
I'm going to need to take up more indoor exercise activities since it's been pretty soggy off and on since the new year. I know I've put on a few pounds and I'm eager to get them off. Anyone have some fun ideas for exercises? One of my reenactment buddies was in to hula hooping, and had a special one to use in her work outs. She told me one time she hula hooped her way right out the door, to the mailbox and back. :)

I love hooping and hoopmaking! I've been hoopdancing for about a year now and it has really increased my core strength and energy level and improved my terrible coordination. I even do it it indoors but the trouble with it is trying not to hit the tv, the couch, the computer table, etc...I love it because it doesn't feel like excercise at all. If you are a person who hates the gym, like me, hooping may just be the ticket. :D

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
Jenniferose7 said:
I love hooping and hoopmaking! I've been hoopdancing for about a year now and it has really increased my core strength and energy level and improved my terrible coordination. I even do it it indoors but the trouble with it is trying not to hit the tv, the couch, the computer table, etc...I love it because it doesn't feel like excercise at all. If you are a person who hates the gym, like me, hooping may just be the ticket. :D

Oh my, this is bringing back memories! A couple years ago I made myself a hoop and started hooping away. I LOVED it! Unfortunately, I had to move to a different room in our house and I no longer have the room to hoop. :( I agree, if you hate the gym, try hooping.

On the nutrition front, I try to eat very natural. I drink raw milk, try to avoid process sugar (it makes me break out within hours), keep a balanced intake of fruits and veggies and make sure eat plenty of yogurt to keep my digestion working.

For exercise, I really need to get back into shape, but with the freezing cold weather it's hard! Right now I'm pretty much only doing upper body workouts every other day. I do 15 ladies-pushups, 15 sit ups, and 60 curls with a 5 lb bell. But I need to get something cardiovascular in there.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
I recently found out that I gained 20 pounds since 2005. :eek: I'll make a long story short and just say that I figured out it was mostly because I was eating wheat (and junk food that it gave me cravings for). Since I bought a scale two weeks ago, I've lost three pounds without doing anything else differently.

If you'd like the details on how I arrived at this conclusion, and the results I've gotten, I've written about it in my blog at http://relievemypain.blogspot.com/. See "Gettin' off the Train to Fat City" and "Wheat Free (Almost): On the Right Track."

I think this goes along with what was the conventional wisdom up until the 80s: a starchy diet puts on weight.

Curious...because of my heavy-duty roller derby schedule, I find that I have to eat pasta on days that I know I'm going to be scrimmaging to have enough energy to get through a game without feeling like I'm losing energy. Do you have issues with that? If so, what do you eat to have enough energy to get through strenuous activity?

RD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If I were to go out for three hours of lindy hopping, I really wouldn't do anything different from my normal routine since I don't like to dance on a full stomach. But you can bet that I'd have a little meal when I got home!

I wasn't eating much pasta. Mostly, as far as wheat, I was eating whole wheat bread and pitas, usually one serving (two slices or one pita) a day. Now, in their place, I eat fruit, potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash (rarely), beans, and brown rice (rarely). I balance that with protein (protein powder, chicken, lean hamburger, fish, nuts, seeds, and eggs).

I follow Body for Life, which prescribes six small meals a day with one serving each of protein and carbohydrate, and at least two servings a day of vegetables (low-carb like green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, etc.). A serving is about the size of your palm or your fist; a typical meal for me fits on a saucer. You also do six intense workouts per week. However, if I'm not hungry, I don't eat; if I'm hungry between meals, I have some trail mix.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Craving Junk Food? Overeating? A Possible Solution

I just wanted to add that my hunger has ratcheted down considerably since I stopped eating wheat. I'm not interested in the junk food I was snacking on before, and a little food makes me feel full.

On a somewhat related note, I've been reading about some research suggesting that bulimia is caused by wild blood sugar swings, and that those swings can be regulated by diet and supplements. http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2009/06/25/effective-strategies-for-combating-carb-cravings/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic