Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I am 37, dance quite a bit, and have decent gluteous maxima, if I may say so. But most extra weight goes straight to my belly.

I second the weight training. Bill Phillips, who designed Body for Life, says that if you just do aerobic exercise, you'll lose weight, but you'll just end up having a smaller pear shape. You need some sort of weight bearing exercise to have a toned physique.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Paisley-I have the same problem with my middle as well and I'm 36.
Even without the baby in there and post-baby I'm sure my figure will never be the same.I've already had a moment of silence to grieve the loss of what was once my girlish figure.:D

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I had a gym membership but I rarely went. They had childcare and my kids were constantly getting sick there. It wasn't worth the money when we were forever fighting a cold or strep throat or some stomach virus. So my husband bought me a Nordic Track Eliptical Trainer. It was about $700 on sale at Sears. I love it too. I do that for 30-40 every other day. I also lift small weights and do lunges to help tone. Tonight I am going to the sporting goods store to buy some old schoolin' roller skates!:p We just bought some for the kids (my boy got rollerblades though), they skate around our cul de sac and I am so jealous. I am going to try to skate with them at least a few days a week. Some of my best memories were skating at the local roller rink as a kid, this should be fun.

Mojito

One Too Many
I love to run. When I'm at the top of my game, I do 4 - 5 runs a week ranging from 7 - 20km (or longer if it's for a half-marathon or more), balanced by resistence training and flexibility (yoga or pilates).

Unfortunately, I was assaulted on a run earlier this year in the middle of winter while training for what was to be my marathon debut. Following this very frightening incident, I would only do my speed sessions near work where our security could keep an eye on me early in the morning...I think both the security manager and my boss would have killed me if I'd tried to run back where the incident happened. But as a result, I was training on footing that I knew was innappropriate for the work I was doing. I didn't have much choice as I have no access to a track. You can imagine the inevitable consequence - just as I'd built up to 20 kms over hills and my fastest 5km and 10km ever, I suffered injury.

It's been a long and depressing journey back from that - I've really struggled, as not being able to run has been very hard. But enough of the woe-is-me sob story...I'm back to distances of 5kms, and I appreciate every step I have the ability to run. I've also been helping a friend with her weight loss and training, so I've tried to do something constructive during this down time.

Got to the gym this morning for a Les Mills Body Attack class, so I'm off to a virtuous start for the weekend.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Mojito, that's horrible that you were assaulted. I'm glad that you are okay.

Anyway, that is one of the reasons I no longer jog. I had stalkers. One time there was a guy so creepy that I cut between two buildings (on the college campus) where cars couldn't go. After that I ran only on a track, either indoors at my gym or at school.

Now I wouldn't run alone, (well if I were even in good enough condition to run) not in my neighborhood. There are too many creeps out there. Actually there are guys who stalk at the gym too, but at least there they are supervised.

Come to think of it, that is probably why Curves is so popular, no pickup and no stalkers!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm hardly the model of excellent exercise habits, but I have a couple of things I like.

When the weather is nice, I like taking long walks with my iPod on shuffle. If the weather is bad, or if I want something more challenging, I do exercise tapes from The Firm. Initially I wanted to punch the women who lead them, but they really are good, intense workouts once you get the choreography down.

I'd also recommend Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds tapes for people wanting to get in shape. She probably has many more tapes now, but the original program is made up of three videos: 1, 2, and 3 mile indoor walks. Unless you have limited mobility, I would suggest starting with the 2 mile walk. If you really get into the 3 mile walk it can be a good 50-minute cardio workout.

I started work at a bookstore a few weeks ago and am finding that to be more exercise than I expected. It's a two story behemoth of a bookstore and I'm constantly running all over the place.

- Polka Dot

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
I *try* to fit in at least 45 minutes of dance practice for cardio 5 days a week (not real successful at that lately). I teach belly dance for a couple hours on Tuesdays (which actually does not allow me to get my heart rate up and sustain it, darn it all), and I perform at least once a week, so that helps.

I do 45 minutes of Power yoga (having never taken any other forms of yoga, I can't really tell you what's "power" about power yoga, except that it seems more aggressive--head stands, hand stands, back bends, etc.) three times a week, except when I take my dance classes--that forces me to skip yoga once every two weeks.

I take a fitness class every Wed. night, and try to fit in at least one other round of free weights in, usually upper body on Mondays and lower on Fridays.

All this because I enjoy eating. :D I still manage to support a generous supply of curves--grr! It's tough because I do have a day job, and it's really tough to compete with the Hollywood incredibly fit (and young) dancers. I try to keep a balanced perspective on it.

Speaking of yoga real quick, I've only been doing it for a few months, but besides the greatly improved flexibility and strength--I think it's tremendously reduced my once-substantial monthly cycle woes, if you know what I mean! That *alone* will keep me doing yoga for many years to come.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Before I started law school I was a very avid gym-goer: about 3-5 times a week with a cardio-arms-legs circuit that took about 45 minutes and burned about 500 calories. Then law school basically killed my gym habit. I gained about 10 pounds and was feeling very bad about my body. Once finals were over I started hitting the gym and eating more healthily, and have gotten back up to my pre-law-school workout (which involves stair master at high intensity and a 7 m.p.h. interval run). Anyway - it's been about two months since I've been working out and my body is back in shape! I still of course have the problem areas but I feel much better about even the problem areas when I'm doing something about it!

So - yay! Just wanted to share a success story :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
You go Miss Dottie!! LOOOOVE Weight Watchers! I've lost 76 pounds. Are you doing core or points? I'm on core and will never do anything else again!!! Basically no refined/prepackaged foods. All lean meats, all veggies and fruits, whole wheat pastas and whole grains, a great balance of everything, PLUS you get 35 points a week to spend on whatever you want. That way I get my chocolate in and stay sane!!

Congrats to you too Lady Day and Miss Bella Hell! I envy the rest of you gals that have a definite exercise routine.

I haven't excercised this whole time, but I need to. I should hit goal this week, was .4 away last week! I'm slimmed down, but I'm very jiggly now.

I like to walk and I have belly dancing videos, (Neena and Veena are good), I like Carmen Electra's Striptease, and I also hear that Turbo Jam was great!

Mojito I'm sorry about your attack. :eek:fftopic: I live right in the middle of the surrounding areas where Shawn Hornbeck and Ben and possiblyAlin were abducted. I have been following the case closely, (and am a true crime reader anyway)... We can never be too careful and there are weirdos everywere. And still when we are careful and alert these preditors know when to strike. SO.. all the more reason we must all stay in shape!!

Nikki

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I love my gym, they offer all kinds of classes all day long. I have to go in the morning, usually Spin class or treadmill and eliptcial. I really want to start doing the Yoga and Pilates classes in the evening. I pay approx. $76 a month, it really prompts you to get off your duff that is for sure! I love to run, but twisted my ankle a few months back and am ready to get back into it. There's a 5k next weekend that'll be a good start for my half marathon training.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I try to go out dancing a few nights a week. I also used to go for walks, but it's VERY cold in the northeast now, so I jump around to music in my apartment.

My problem is my waist. I want to lose a few inches off it. Sugar and starches are my biggest weaknesses. I've been making a big effort to eat more veggies, whole grain wheats, and gradually wean myself off the sugary treats. Does anyone have any tips on how to beat sugar cravings?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
sugar/waist

If you follow a plan such as Atkins or Weight Watchers CORE you will definitely kick your sugar cravings! Been there done that many times. But occassions such as Christmas, I fall back on the sugar wagon and have to go through withdrawl all over again.
Esp. if you do atkins for just a few days to get back off and then follow WW.

And, if junk is in my house, I WILL eat it.

Nikki

lindylady

A-List Customer
Thanks, Nikki. I'll look into those diet programs. And I'll make sure to clean the junk from my kitchen cabinets before they end up in my tummy. :eek:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a sweet tooth, which is why going to the gym and doing cardio really helps. Dancing is very cardio heavy of course, but for me a night of dancing doesn't even compare to a run on the treadmill!

When I'm really trying to be good, fruit is my sweet treat...but if that isn't enough, you might try Nutella with an apple - chocolate spread that's actually slightly better for you than peanut butter. Sign me up! Just control your serving sizes, since it's super delicious.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
work out tapes are great, if you have the space available!
My favorite is 'your personal best workout' with Elle Mcpherson. This gives you an incredible workout and it's a lot of fun.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I do it like a Italian or a french person, I just love to stroll, when ever I get the chance, I strech my legs. I don't go to gyms or follow any certain routine, I probably should do some light weight lifting.

For me its hard because when I am active, I really have to eat a ton, I already eat a ton, but working out I have to eat more. My metabolic rate is sort of hyper which is something that is genetic that runs in my family, if I don't eat, I get shakey and my weight plummets, so I always have to make sure to drink a protien drink.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I haven't been able to exercise regularly since around November 9. I've had one physical problem after another. The latest: H. pylori (the bacteria that causes ulcers) and a stomach virus. I cannot eat a normal diet with the virus, and even if I could, I am too tired to lift weights and do step aerobics. Within two weeks, I should be over both illnesses.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
stomach virus...as in the stomach flu? There's been a nasty one going around here lately, it's been the norm to be really sick for a whole week:( ..luckily me and the family only got a very mild case of it...it's the clean up that's the worse!
walking...That's what I'm really striving for this summer! There are so many beautiful hiking trails so close to me, the last couple of years I've just gotten lazy! What also hard is when you have little kids. They're a lot of fun to go walking with, but I doubt there's any kind of work out to it...they'll take a couple steps, check out the leaf on the road, a couple steps more, a twig..:rolleyes:

jugband1

New in Town
I am yet another former ballerina...and how depressing is it to NOT look like it anymore...I am hit and miss with the cardio-- I have tried all kinds, and unless I have a buddy to talk to I just watch the minutes tick by on the machines :rolleyes: I do teach 3 yoga classes, and 2 pilates classes per week...so that helps me stay somewhat fit/flexible/healthy. It is the food that is keeping me 10 lbs away from my pre-baby weight though! I have been considering Weight watchers to lose 10-15--- I have heard it just makes you so much more aware of your food that you don't *munch* as much. It doesn't help that my husband is thin as a rail and eats junk like it's going out of style at 11:30 at night either!:eek:

kate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21