Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sara, I love the photo with the black dress and pearls! It's stunning! :eusa_clap

And this one, only one word: gorgeous!!! :D :eusa_clap

Miss 1929 said:
l_989dc585b7c25945b5a5130068740ac5.jpg

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
I joined Weight Watchers! One week ago.

Having gained about 60 pounds in the past 15 years, it is time to take it off. I figure I can either have annoyance of diet and exercise now, or the bigger annoyance of injecting insulin into myself for years. Besides, I miss wearing pretty clothes and looking cute in them.

I am taking off weight for the very same reasons! I've put on 20-30 pounds over the past 3 years. I feel unattractive and icky about myself, and my uncle and grandfather both died of diabetic complications. Time to get back on track.

Sara, you look incredibly beautiful! I know you'll be back to the weight you desire, no problem. :)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
After and Before

I had posted a new pic in my Picturetrail last night (5/23/2010), and the album had a pic taken at the xmas holidays (12/21/209). I can sure tell the ramping up of the exercising and the small but subtle changes in my eating habits are making a big difference. The weight difference in these two pictures is only 3-5 pounds!
AFTER
387581314.jpg

BEFORE
379914315.jpg

D

Deleted member 12480

wow - thats great. I've been letting myself eat loads of crap recently and i forgot to jog yesterday so i did 15 minutes up and down the stairs. it was meant to be 30 minutes but my legs started giving way.

Gonna make a nice healthy soup tonight.

Ps i just found this thread and i like it.
xxxxxx

D

Deleted member 12480

( i just used an online calculator - 214 calories just for that - an hour is 700 and something!)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
The weight difference in these two pictures is only 3-5 pounds!

Amazing, right? I can tell from the tone of your arms that you've gained quite a bit of muscle. I'm always amazed at how someone can lose so much size and stay roughly the same weight. In any case, you look great - I bet you feel great too :eusa_clap

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have been eating terribly and under alot of stress. I haven't gained any weight but my skin and hair have been looking awful. I cut down on my coffee intake from 2-3 large cups a day to about 2 12 oz cups a week. I also have cut down on the amount of sugar and junk food and have been getting at least two servings of fruits and veggies a day. I am trying to walk and jog more but it has been crazy hot and humid latley. The hardes thing for me though is getting enough water and sleep.

I just started this routine 9 days ago but I already feel better and can't really stomach anything that is too sweet anymore.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Celiacs?

My clothes felt very tight a few weeks ago but my weight was the same. I felt really bloated and gassy and just gross. I stopped eating wheat and I feel so much better. The bloating went away in two days resulting in a two inch reduction at my waist :eek:. I was SO bloated, no wonder my clothes felt tight. Anyways, I have more energy and I'm not bloated and gassy anymore. Is it celiacs? Whatever it is I'm just glad I figured it out!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Activity while injured?

I'm trying to get back on a regular exercise schedule after not having done any regular routine for several years. I've had some luck getting back into the pool in evenings, and walking in the mornings, but I've hit a snag. This past weekend I tripped (!) and sprained my ankle. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I can do to get some exercise while I'm healing? I don't want to lose my motivation. Thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Gracie Lee said:
This past weekend I tripped (!) and sprained my ankle. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I can do to get some exercise while I'm healing? I don't want to lose my motivation. Thanks![/COLOR]

Unfortunately, the only thing you can really do is focus on upper body exercise. Swimming may be ok with a brace on your ankle, since that's very low impact. Any other type of cardio such as walking, cycling, and ellipticals are things you will just need to avoid while your ankle is healing.

Honestly, the best thing you can do for an injury is RICE - Rest, Ice (and Ibuprofen), Compression and Elevation. I can't urge you enough to stay off your ankle for a few weeks as it heals. The worst thing you could do for your exercise regime at this point is to push it too hard and worsen your injury.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
MarieAnne said:
My clothes felt very tight a few weeks ago but my weight was the same. I felt really bloated and gassy and just gross. I stopped eating wheat and I feel so much better. The bloating went away in two days resulting in a two inch reduction at my waist :eek:. I was SO bloated, no wonder my clothes felt tight. Anyways, I have more energy and I'm not bloated and gassy anymore. Is it celiacs? Whatever it is I'm just glad I figured it out!

I had the same experience a few months ago.

Carbohydrates in general produce gas when they're digested. Some of them are worse than others, and they can produce gas in different places. Beans will do it in the lower intestine; fruit does it high up. But wheat is really bad for causing bloat. One of my favorite bloggers coined the term "wheat belly." Check it out:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/wheat-belly-revisited.html

I see more and more men who look like they're about to give birth. I'll bet it's wheat belly.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Anyone with difficulties digesting grains, should consider sprouting or "fermenting" them before consumption. Adding whey to soaking grains really helps to make them less "volatile" in the system. We are huge sour dough people (homemade) and that really helps the digestion issues, along with other lacto-fermentation processes for other things. There is a wealth of information on the internet and many great books. And now I can enjoy my grains again without the discomfort!

Smuterella

One Too Many
CC - I remember you saying you do pilates. I've just restarted classes after a long break and I'm loving it. I'm hoping it will help tone me up as well as sorting out my current very painful back problems (I have extra ribs and due to pinched nerves often lose feeling in my arms and hands, well, its like numbness mixed with a dragging ache :( ).

I'm trying to sort my diet out too, i work long hours and live alone so tend to resort to ready made meals. I've started instead to cook in batches. I'm feeling better, definitely.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Mrs. Merl said:
Anyone with difficulties digesting grains, should consider sprouting or "fermenting" them before consumption. Adding whey to soaking grains really helps to make them less "volatile" in the system. We are huge sour dough people (homemade) and that really helps the digestion issues, along with other lacto-fermentation processes for other things. There is a wealth of information on the internet and many great books. And now I can enjoy my grains again without the discomfort!

Do you mean that sourdough bread is less, as Paisley says, "wheat belly"-inducing than other breads?

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
CC - I remember you saying you do pilates. I've just restarted classes after a long break and I'm loving it. I'm hoping it will help tone me up as well as sorting out my current very painful back problems (I have extra ribs and due to pinched nerves often lose feeling in my arms and hands, well, its like numbness mixed with a dragging ache :( ).

I'm trying to sort my diet out too, i work long hours and live alone so tend to resort to ready made meals. I've started instead to cook in batches. I'm feeling better, definitely.

If you don't mind me asking, Smuterella, are you doing group classes in say, a gym setting?

Smuterella

One Too Many
bunnyb.gal said:
If you don't mind me asking, Smuterella, are you doing group classes in say, a gym setting?

A group class once a week, I've found a private teacher who does small classes (8 people) at a studio near Liverpool St / Old St. She is amazing, and cheap (£10 / hour as oppposed to the ususal £15-20.)

I can send you the details if you want.

I'm going to start practising at home once or twice a week too.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Puzzicato - I have only cut out wheat. You're right, I had not considered intolerance.
Paisley - Isn't it strange? I've been eating wheat (whole) my entire life and then all of a sudden....I thought for a while I had a candida problem. I was looking for probiotic treatments and some of them are SO expensive. It was The Heart Scan Blog that gave me the idea to cut out wheat. I was curious to see what would happen. And it has forced me to find healthier snacks. It was hard at first, it felt like there was nothing left to eat. Now I can't get enough fruits and nuts!
Mrs. Merl - That sounds like a lot of work. Can you buy fermented grains in health food stores?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot