Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

Daisy Buchanan said:
I will not hesitate to complain to both the management company and I will call the cops. They have been fined 3 times I think. After the third fine they start to double. I'm gonna have them fined for even the slightest infraction, make them as miserable as they are making everybody else.

Bingo, Miss Daisy: hit 'em with "disturbing the peace", "disorderly conduct", "public nuisance", and whatever else you can think of. If you've got a friend who's into research-type geekery, or is a law student or lawyer, have 'em get a copy of Boston's municipal code or whatever y'all call your collated set of laws on the books and highlight every potential little infraction you could possibly nail 'em for, and hit 'em hard that way. Hit 'em in the wallet long enough and hard enough, and it'll hurt 'em eventually, especially if they gotta go home to rich Daddy to beg for money and explain where it's all going...:eek:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daisy Buchanan said:
The guy apologized, I said they could stay for the fireworks if they liked. He was apologetic and did end up staying, but his wife was all mad and stormed off. The next day I saw his wife and she tried to lecture me about sharing!!

Next time I ran into her, I'd hand her a bill for 1/2 the price difference between the current value of your condo and their condo and say, "Since you wanted to share my deck, here's your share of the cost." I can't believe people at times. They're in "your backyard" without your permission and get snotty when asked why they're trespassing?!?!?!?!? And with the real estate agents, when you point out they're trespassing & want to argue the point, that's when I'd haul out the cell phone to call the police and say "We'll let the police settle it. After a few tickets, you'll learn."

carebear

Much the same as today I expect. Perhaps with a little less litigation.

Of course, in the good old days, if the aggrieved party was obviously an "upstanding citizen" and the problem neighbor was not, the local powers-that-be had fewer scruples about fixing the situation.

Elaina

One Too Many
Not sure, but seems My G-grandma handled her neighbors the same way I'm handling mine (this would have been 1920's, in the 30's the woman was globetrotting and having an affair with a matador). My evil grandma told my sister (I don't talk to the old woman) that was funny, she remembered her mother doing the same thing. When my sister asked if it worked grandma said they moved after 6 weeks, and the property never was relet.

Doran said:
James, i'm bummed you won't be coming to the do in Walnut Creek. I can talk your ear off about tomatoes. I have not grown them but I sold the heirloom varieties, locally grown, for a long time.

Oh geez, that would be interesting---darn it! Those are generally the varieties I grow. Mortgage Lifter and Black Prince are currently in the garden and a few others that have no name. The Tomatillo brings the salsa garden together. ;) Have any sources still? :D

Regards,

J

Daisy Buchanan said:
THANK YOU Mr. Powers!!! I will definitely be looking into those varieties. You're right, I'm planting seeds that take far too long to mature given the short amount of time it is persistently warm here. I'm gonna look up those varieties as well as do some research on other types of things I can grow that will thrive in the Boston roof deck climate and have a shorter maturation period. Thanks for the good ideas:D
I was out on the roof a few minutes ago. The door that leads to their apartment was open. I stood right next to it and lit up a cigarette. I made sure the smoke went right into one of their bedrooms. A few minutes into they came out gave me a dirty look and closed the door. There's nothing they can do about it, I was outside, on my deck.lol

No problem. Sometimes it just takes a fresh view point from someone who has made all those mistakes before. ;)
Gee, I would also have played Smoke Gets in Your Eyes while I was doing it. :p ;)

Daisy Buchanan

jamespowers said:
Oh geez, that would be interesting---darn it! Those are generally the varieties I grow. Mortgage Lifter and Black Prince are currently in the garden and a few others that have no name. The Tomatillo brings the salsa garden together. ;) Have any sources still? :D

Regards,

J

I'm totally coming for a visit!! I'd be more than happy to babysit your darling Daniel for a few nights, give you and Mrs. Powers a few romantic evenings together, in exchange for some freshly grown goodies and tips on how to grow them!:D

As for my nutty too young to own a half a million dollar condo neighbors, well my new neighbor (who is also incredibly good looking and single, but has a different girl over every night but I can fix that with my charm!) said that we are gonna crash all of their parties:D He's totally into making life miserable for them. Like, they are supposed to tell us when they have a party in advance. We are gonna plan a nice elegant evening dinner on the deck, possibly black tie, on the very same night as their "Rager". We will go out first, decorate the place all nice and swanky, take over the entire area. So when they come out it will be like they are intruding our nice evening. We will make them feel ever so unwelcome, make it unbearable for them to be out there:D

Dr Doran

Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm totally coming for a visit!! I'd be more than happy to babysit your darling Daniel for a few nights, give you and Mrs. Powers a few romantic evenings together, in exchange for some freshly grown goodies and tips on how to grow them!:D

As for my nutty too young to own a half a million dollar condo neighbors, well my new neighbor (who is also incredibly good looking and single, but has a different girl over every night but I can fix that with my charm!) said that we are gonna crash all of their parties:D He's totally into making life miserable for them. Like, they are supposed to tell us when they have a party in advance. We are gonna plan a nice elegant evening dinner on the deck, possibly black tie, on the very same night as their "Rager". We will go out first, decorate the place all nice and swanky, take over the entire area. So when they come out it will be like they are intruding our nice evening. We will make them feel ever so unwelcome, make it unbearable for them to be out there:D

See, that's creativity. That's the way to do it.
Talking to his dad isn't a bad idea either.
The idea that he makes noise when two parents have a small child really annoys me.

Daisy Buchanan

Doran said:
See, that's creativity. That's the way to do it.
Talking to his dad isn't a bad idea either.
The idea that he makes noise when two parents have a small child really annoys me.

It's incredibly annoying to me too. I may not have children, but I know what parents go through with an infant, especially an infant in an apartment, even a good sized apartment. Also, they are both doctors in residency, so sleep is rare. It's so frustrating to me that on the few evenings they have to unwind and get a real nights sleep, they have these inconsiderate neighbors making all sorts of noises at 2am. The comment that they made about how people with kids shouldn't live in apartment buildings is really annoying.
When people live in an apartment building, whether it's big or small, you have to realize that you have neighbors, possibly on either side of you, below, and above (except in my case). You have to know that there is the possibility that your neighbors can here what you are doing. Case in point my bedroom window was open this evening and some couple was having a very good time, to put it politely :D :eek: Just because one person doesn't mind noise, loud music, or the smell of everybody else's bad cooking, doesn't mean that another person doesn't mind it either.
These kids are used to living in a dorm, where those who want to sleep are usually chastised. Now the shoe is on the other foot, they are the ones who will be tormented for being loud, obnoxious, and inconsiderate.
Ten years from now I hope they have a newborn and live next door to some loud obnoxious new college grads who wake them up at all hours of the night!:rage: :mad:

Dr Doran

varga49 said:
...I enjoy living in the country...the neighbors are far enmough away to be neighborly...when limbs fall my trees...I have kindeling for my BBQ pit.

My good Varga, this is precisely my goal (note my post about the dzialka system in Poland elsewhere on this thread). Bravo to you.

Dr Doran

Daisy Buchanan said:
Ten years from now I hope they have a newborn and live next door to some loud obnoxious new college grads who wake them up at all hours of the night!:rage: :mad:

Thank goodness for where we live. We have two rabbis upstairs, male and female. Their daughter used to make a little noise but she chilled out. And she is only around every other week or so.
And that's it.
No one below, to the left, or to the right. It's a duplex. And the rabbis, when they play music, play 1940s jazz, extremely well-selected. We used to throw parties before Dominika was born, and we always told them; we do hear them praying on holy days, but it's beautiful, not annoying.
When we are ready to buy a house we will buy a house, not a condo if we can help it. I have already gotten in trouble for my bad temper. I don't need to live near people who can annoy me.

Daisy Buchanan

Doran said:
Thank goodness for where we live. We have two rabbis upstairs, male and female. Their daughter used to make a little noise but she chilled out. And she is only around every other week or so.
And that's it.
No one below, to the left, or to the right. It's a duplex. And the rabbis, when they play music, play 1940s jazz, extremely well-selected. We used to throw parties before Dominika was born, and we always told them; we do hear them praying on holy days, but it's beautiful, not annoying.
When we are ready to buy a house we will buy a house, not a condo if we can help it. I have already gotten in trouble for my bad temper. I don't need to live near people who can annoy me.

Buying a house over a condo is a very good idea. Especially if you don't like noise.
Beside the noise, you have to deal with a management company. My condo fees have gone up 14% every year since I bought my condo 3 years ago. On top of the $515 a month I pay to the management company, last year the owners were hit with a $1.9 million dollar "special assessment" for maintenance on the building like installing new windows and redoing the 3rd floor patio. There will be another assessment soon to pay for fixing the indoor pool, that hasn't been open in 4 years. But thank goodness the raquet ball court is still usable!:(
Although I love the unit I live in. My neighborhood is nice and eclectic, and to find a 2 story, 2 bedroom 3 bathroom condo with a balcony off the first floor and a roof deck is pretty rare in the city. Space is at a minimum. I can tell you this much, if I lived in any other building in this city I wouldn't be tolerating all the fees I'm being slammed with. But I know my condo is different than a lot of the others in the neighborhood, which hopefully means it will only go up in value.
But, if I had to do it all over again, I'd want to buy a house. When I look at the houses I could own for the same price as my condo I get a bit sad:( But, that's city life![huh] Up until now my neighbors have all been wonderful. I've actually got quite a few friends that I get together with in the building. We're all gonna band together and make life pretty crappy for the young rowdy guys.

Dr Doran

Daisy Buchanan said:
Buying a house over a condo is a very good idea. Especially if you don't like noise.
Beside the noise, you have to deal with a management company. My condo fees have gone up 14% every year since I bought my condo 3 years ago. On top of the $515 a month I pay to the management company, last year the owners were hit with a $1.9 million dollar "special assessment" for maintenance on the building like installing new windows and redoing the 3rd floor patio. There will be another assessment soon to pay for fixing the indoor pool, that hasn't been open in 4 years. But thank goodness the raquet ball court is still usable!:(
Although I love the unit I live in. My neighborhood is nice and eclectic, and to find a 2 story, 2 bedroom 3 bathroom condo with a balcony off the first floor and a roof deck is pretty rare in the city. Space is at a minimum. I can tell you this much, if I lived in any other building in this city I wouldn't be tolerating all the fees I'm being slammed with. But I know my condo is different than a lot of the others in the neighborhood, which hopefully means it will only go up in value.
But, if I had to do it all over again, I'd want to buy a house. When I look at the houses I could own for the same price as my condo I get a bit sad:( But, that's city life![huh] Up until now my neighbors have all been wonderful. I've actually got quite a few friends that I get together with in the building. We're all gonna band together and make life pretty crappy for the young rowdy guys.

Well, that's the way to do it: get everyone on your side and if there is a meeting you can steamroll him. He should know better than to be so noisy and silly.

Miss_Bella_Hell

scotrace said:
My neighbor built a six foot high wooden privacy fence along the property line - about 2 feet on my side. It was undiscovered until I had my lot surveyed.
So I used his fence as one wall when I fenced the rest of the yard.

This may seem like a major offense, but I'm grateful for the fence when he and his formidable bare belly are outdoors in the summer.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you heard of ADVERSE POSSESSION? If you don't do something about that fence, that land on his side of the fence becomes his property after 20 or so years. You don't actually have to make him remove the fence to prevent adverse possession, however. Look up your state laws.

carebear

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you heard of ADVERSE POSSESSION? If you don't do something about that fence, that land on his side of the fence becomes his property after 20 or so years. You don't actually have to make him remove the fence to prevent adverse possession, however. Look up your state laws.

Oo, oo, (waves hand) I mentioned it! Post 60. :D

Do I win anything or am I just a geek? ;)

Daisy Buchanan

Doran said:
Well, that's the way to do it: get everyone on your side and if there is a meeting you can steamroll him. He should know better than to be so noisy and silly.

He just ran for the open seat on the board of trustees, and lost:D He had to write a statement to all the unit owners. It was the most pathetic, sorriest campaign I've ever seen. It really did look as though a child wrote it. When they were realeasing the winner I was actually feeling a bit ill. I was so worried that he would actually win, which could ruin all hopes of leverage I had. Thank goodness he didn't! Although, the other candidate was no prze either, she does have more than 20 years banking experience, so she's better then the 21 year old, obnoxious newly graduated kid across the hall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore