Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OBSESSIVE POSTING and commenting.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Not at all. The forum is still here because we love hats and the comraderradier and not necessarily the excessive funny or unfunny constantly obsessive remarks.

Oh lord...have MERCY! In all honesty, there is something so special that we here on this website know and share, I am not sure you can actually define it...you just are here and experience it without thinking twice about it. It is not just the love of hats or vintage items. Far past all of that yet a part of it, for sure! Sort of in many ways, you "hook" some part of whom you are into what you post, and everyone "grabs" that thought with understanding. It is like a language we all speak....and a family.

Kinda depends on the forum, doesn't it? If you wanna know about hats, the hats forum is the richest vein to be found anywhere, I'd bet.

I don't visit that forum so much anymore, mostly because I long ago learned about as much on that topic as I wished to, which is not to say I've come close to learning all there is to know. But I certainly know what I need to know. And, after something more than a decade immersed in all things hat, I've found the conversations often covering ground I've been over many times before. But if you're among the more recently afflicted, it's a treasure trove,

As DJH observed, this place remains vital in the face of the challenges posed by other social media. (So many others haven't.) I attribute this in part to several of our regular contributors and moderators who have kept an online community primarily devoted to the culture and cultural artifacts of the Depression and WWII era relevant as those years grow more and more distant.

This place has changed some, and I submit that it had to, and will continue to.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yes thats all good but a little common sense moderation and self control enable us all (newcomers and older members alike) to enjoy and share the good fellowship and comraderie the Hat Forum has to offer without being inundated and overwhelmed by tedious blathering and meandering excessive comments and unecessary remarks. Yes, I kno that is all open to interpretation but a little common sense and common courtesy goes a long way. Sometimes it's just simple courtesy, politeness and consideration to restrain oneself (in a forum and social network type situation such as this) from having to constantly interject oneself into every situation and discussion or dialogue in which one has the opportunity to do so.

Yes thats all good but a little common sense moderation and self control enable us all (newcomers and older members alike) to enjoy and share the good fellowship and comraderie the Hat Forum has to offer without being inundated and overwhelmed by tedious blathering and meandering excessive comments and unecessary remarks. Yes, I kno that is all open to interpretation but a little common sense and common courtesy goes a long way. Sometimes it's just simple courtesy, politeness and consideration to restrain oneself (in a forum and social network type situation such as this) from having to constantly interject oneself into every situation and discussion or dialogue in which one has the opportunity to do so.

I'm hearing what you're saying, but I'm left wondering what prompted your commentary. You've been here not even two and a half years and you are just 17 posts shy of 8,500.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm hearing what you're saying, but I'm left wondering what prompted your commentary. You've been here not even two and a half years and you are just 17 posts shy of 8,500.
What prompted my thread creation was the need to offer my fellow loungers (and myself) the opportunity to politely express ourselves. I was wondering if I was the only one who felt inundated and deluged by having to plow through hundreds if not thousands of posts to see topics of relevance to hats and related subjects. I'm here for not just knowledge (as you have so rightly noted) but social interaction as well. I have been here constantly, every day for hours upon hours for those (almost) 2 years that you mentioned, which accounts for my numbers of posts. I try to keep them relevent, concise, to the point, interesting, pertaining to hats (or the topic at hand) and humorous or stimulating, whenever possible. I do also acknowledge every compliment with a simple "thank you" and do answer every question when asked. I also like to return compliments whenever possible and contribute what little knowledge I have to relevent discussion when possible or needed but if a question has been asked and answered multiple times, I don't feel a compulsion to add my 2 cents into the mix with a repetitive and redundant long winded reply...
I do believe it's not necessarily the number of years one has been a member but the numbers of hours logged per day that is more relevant and please remember, my replies (unlike this one) are often brief and to the point.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This is a discussion forum. It isn't a courtroom, a schoolroom, or a church. Talk as much as you want to to about what you want to, as long as it's within the general scope of what this place is about and as long as you follow our rules.

A forum where people aren't talking is dead. There are plenty of dead forums where people can go and watch the dust blow past if that's what they prefer. Everybody else, feel free to gab it up.
Lizzie is right, no point having a forum if members aren't communicating. It's worth remembering that most of us are not wordsmiths, so it's easy to to digress and end up writing a couple of paragraphs when what was said could have concisely fitted into a sentence or two.

There's many a thread and they are all here for everyone's pleasure, you only have to give a cursory glance to that which you find tedious. And for what it's worth, I have enjoyed learning the "isms" of other English speaking countries. It's why I like to post the occasional cockney rhyming slang, it nearly always brings a response.
So for anyone not in England (not UK) today is St. George's Day, patron saint of England. It's also The Bard's birthday.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Not at all. The forum is still here because we love hats and the comraderie and not necessarily the excessive funny or unfunny obsessive remarks.

One small point -- We're called "The Fedora Lounge," but hats are only a part of what we're about here. Some of us have no interest whatever in hats. Or, for that matter, in leather jackets. Or even in clothes in general other than as something to keep the bugs off. There are plenty of people here with just a general interest in some aspect of the culture of what, for want of a better term, gets called "The Golden Era." That term, likewise, has no universally-agreed upon chronological definition, nor does everyone even consider that Era to be particularly Golden -- but they do, nonetheless, have an interest in it from a cultural or a social perspective. We used to be pretty specific in focusing on the 1930s and 1940s -- but that's long since drifted, and now the emphasis seems to be anything from WWI to the rise of color television.

Basically, I guess what it comes down to is that the people who are here are the people to whom some aspect of this vast bowl of pudding appeals. Some like the chocolate flavor, some like the rich gooey texture, some like that rubbery skin that forms over the surface, and some would frankly rather have tapioca, but what we have to offer is as close as they can get. You'll run into all kinds here, but as long as people don't dump their pudding on the floor or throw it at their neighbor, there's a place for all of them at the table.

It seems to me the OP created by Bob Roberts in the Hats forum was to address & solicit opinions & comments on a perceived problem that had developed there. Removing the OP from that forum has diluted & perhaps defeated its original purpose, when most opinions & comments are now being made by posters whom by their own admission don't care about the Hats forum or no longer participate there. Many Hat forum participants may not even see the OP in the Observation Bar. So much for self-policing the problem.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
One small point -- We're called "The Fedora Lounge," but hats are only a part of what we're about here. Some of us have no interest whatever in hats. Or, for that matter, in leather jackets. Or even in clothes in general other than as something to keep the bugs off. There are plenty of people here with just a general interest in some aspect of the culture of what, for want of a better term, gets called "The Golden Era." That term, likewise, has no universally-agreed upon chronological definition, nor does everyone even consider that Era to be particularly Golden -- but they do, nonetheless, have an interest in it from a cultural or a social perspective. We used to be pretty specific in focusing on the 1930s and 1940s -- but that's long since drifted, and now the emphasis seems to be anything from WWI to the rise of color television.

Basically, I guess what it comes down to is that the people who are here are the people to whom some aspect of this vast bowl of pudding appeals. Some like the chocolate flavor, some like the rich gooey texture, some like that rubbery skin that forms over the surface, and some would frankly rather have tapioca, but what we have to offer is as close as they can get. You'll run into all kinds here, but as long as people don't dump their pudding on the floor or throw it at their neighbor, there's a place for all of them at the table.
Off course. This post as you know was originally in the hat forum. The dynamic there is unique. Would you consider moving it back to its original position? Thank you.

Feraud

Bartender
If a member has an issue with another member or how the tone of a room is developing please private message the room moderator with the concern. We bartenders are more than qualified to deal with the issues.

That specific issue aside, this is a discussion forum. People are free to comment how they see fit. Some message are terse others a bit long winded. This dynamic is part of the energy of a discussion forum. The forum is to be enjoyed and not obsessed over or attempt to push an agenda.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
If a member has an issue with another member or how the tone of a room is developing please private message the room moderator with the concern. We bartenders are more than qualified to deal with the issues.

That specific issue aside, this is a discussion forum. People are free to comment how they see fit. Some message are terse others a bit long winded. This dynamic is part of the energy of a discussion forum. The forum is to be enjoyed and not obsessed over or attempt to push an agenda.
The intent of the OP in the hat forum was just exactly that. To have a discussion. An open and honest discussion about excessive posting and comments. An opportunity for members and participants to give opinions on the subject. An exchange of ideas. Excessive posting/commenting is a dynamic many members and participants feel is sucking that "energy" (you speak of) and air, right out of the room.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
The Hat room is not the best place to discuss obsessive posting. That is an off topic subject. An Observation Bar thread is probably the place to broach that subject.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Either this thread is going round in circles, or I've lost the plot. Some postings encourage debate, others get a little near the knuckle, then, as is the climate of this forum, they back off before a spat develops, only to post yet another argument for debate. It's probably me that's lost the plot.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This is beginning to resemble a Monty Python skit. Or something Andy Kaufman might have cooked up.
Yes because it can be interesting and amusing and fun and relevant to some, though not all. Which is why it should have remained in the hat forum and not here. Btw, love Kaufman as well as Monty Python.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley