Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, so some things in the golden era were not too cool...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mea culpa -- I was posting from memory. Homicide is the leading cause of death among *college age* African American males. Nearly half of all homicide victims in the US are black. And according to a CNN/Time poll taken on September 28, 2001, it was only 31 percent of Americans and 34 percent of New Yorkers who favored herding Arab-Americans into internment camps. A Gallup poll taken the same month found that a majority of Americans believed all Muslim and Arab-Americans should be subject to stricter security procedures than other citizens, and that all should be required to carry a special ID card.

That makes it much better, of course. No doubt Arab-Americans slept easier that night, knowing that only a third of their fellow citizens wanted them rounded up.

An interesting document on that period of recent history, where modern-day Americans responded with kindness and brotherhood compared to those unenlightened racists of the post-Pearl Harbor period.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Want to see racism? In Chicago we've had what they are calling "flash mobs" groups....

Hi Blackjack

One of my co-workers was a political science major. He stated that Chicago was the most segregated, racist (and other ists) city in America. From what he said it wasn't just race, but also religion, country of national origin etc. This was 1982, but from what I saw it's prevalent. He said that it was to the point that French Catholics didn't marry French Protestants, German Catholics didn't marry French Catholics.

Of course, the city is still owned and operated by the Irish Catholic Daley Family and the state is owned and operated by the Irish Catholic Madigan Family. I can't believe I agree with Michelle on something, but I think that the fact they're both Irish Catholic is circumstantial. The Daley's started a family business and passed it on to their children. It's the American Dream... :eek:

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I assume you are not talking about NYC proper. Considering the size and diversity of the city we are one of he more tolerant and safe places to live and work in this country.

Hi Feraud

I had to look up Tolerate in an online dictionary just to see if it still meant "put up with something you don't like". Here's what I found:

tol·er·ate /ˈtɒləˌreɪt/ Show Spelled[tol-uh-reyt] Show IPA
verb (used with object), -at·ed, -at·ing.
1. to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.
2. to endure without repugnance; put up with: I can tolerate laziness, but not incompetence.
3. Medicine/Medical . to endure or resist the action of (a drug, poison, etc.).
4. Obsolete . to experience, undergo, or sustain, as pain or hardship.

I was wrong, that version is obsolete, BUT I guess that it means that I'm not tolerant. There are opinions and activities that I disagree with, and while I don't bother to legally or illegally stop these things, I DO ignore them to the best of my ability. "To Endure WITH repugnance."

Later

PoohBang

Suspended
not sure what exactly it means but according to the 2006 CDC Men's Health

Black Males 15-34 deaths
1.) Homicide
2.) Unintentional Injuries
3.) Suicide

White Males 15-34 deaths
1.) Unintentional Injuries
2.) Suicide
3.) Homicide

Asian Males 15-34 deaths
2.) Homicide/Suicide
3.) Suicide/ Homicide/Cancer

Hispanic Males 15-34 deaths
2.) Homicide
3.) Suicide

Native American Males 15-34 deaths
2.) Suicide
3.) Homicide

anyway you look at it it's sad.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
not sure what exactly it means but according to the 2006 CDC Men's Health

Black Males 15-34 deaths
1.) Homicide
2.) Unintentional Injuries
3.) Suicide

White Males 15-34 deaths
2.) Suicide
3.) Homicide

Asian Males 15-34 deaths
2.) Homicide/Suicide
3.) Suicide/ Homicide/Cancer

Hispanic Males 15-34 deaths
2.) Homicide
3.) Suicide

Native American Males 15-34 deaths
2.) Suicide
3.) Homicide

anyway you look at it it's sad.

Its not sad when you realize that those are pretty much the ONLY way a male from the ages of 15 to 34 is going to die. It doesn't mean that those groups are dieing in huge numbers, just that when they do die, those are the reasons, and it makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Doug

PoohBang

Suspended
Its not sad when you realize that those are pretty much the ONLY way a male from the ages of 15 to 34 is going to die. It doesn't mean that those groups are dieing in huge numbers, just that when they do die, those are the reasons, and it makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Doug

No, I just listed the top 3. The list goes on for quite a while. It's sad because 2 of the top 3 for every group could have been avoided.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Mea culpa -- I was posting from memory. Homicide is the leading cause of death among *college age* African American males. Nearly half of all homicide victims in the US are black. And according to a CNN/Time poll taken on September 28, 2001, it was only 31 percent of Americans and 34 percent of New Yorkers who favored herding Arab-Americans into internment camps. A Gallup poll taken the same month found that a majority of Americans believed all Muslim and Arab-Americans should be subject to stricter security procedures than other citizens, and that all should be required to carry a special ID card.

That makes it much better, of course. No doubt Arab-Americans slept easier that night, knowing that only a third of their fellow citizens wanted them rounded up.

An interesting document on that period of recent history, where modern-day Americans responded with kindness and brotherhood compared to those unenlightened racists of the post-Pearl Harbor period.

Someone had written, earlier in the thread, and I'm paraphrasing, that we, as a race, improve with the experience of history. I do not think so. Compare the Japansese situation with the Arabic/Muslim situation, and you see that, as a whole, humans don't really learn much of anything. Mob mentality, and the emotions they foster, including fear and paranoia, make the same types of occurences repeat over and over again.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Hi Blackjack

One of my co-workers was a political science major. He stated that Chicago was the most segregated, racist (and other ists) city in America. From what he said it wasn't just race, but also religion, country of national origin etc. This was 1982, but from what I saw it's prevalent. He said that it was to the point that French Catholics didn't marry French Protestants, German Catholics didn't marry French Catholics.

Of course, the city is still owned and operated by the Irish Catholic Daley Family and the state is owned and operated by the Irish Catholic Madigan Family. I can't believe I agree with Michelle on something, but I think that the fact they're both Irish Catholic is circumstantial. The Daley's started a family business and passed it on to their children. It's the American Dream... :eek:

Later

You are joking with this post right? If not, what in the world does it have to do with mobs of black youths committing hate crimes against white people?

Someone had written, earlier in the thread, and I'm paraphrasing, that we, as a race, improve with the experience of history. I do not think so. Compare the Japansese situation with the Arabic/Muslim situation, and you see that, as a whole, humans don't really learn much of anything. Mob mentality, and the emotions they foster, including fear and paranoia, make the same types of occurences repeat over and over again.

However these do not operate in a vacuum. Mostly these are reactions to something. Pearl harbor and 911 tended to be something even the most enlighted did not see as something to tolerate.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What absolute utter nonsense. I don't know who the bigger bonehead is; your friend for proffering it or you for repeating it.

Of course, the city is still owned and operated by the Irish Catholic Daley Family
You better tell that to the Jewish mayor....:rolleyes:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Stop killing people.

Not only that, I'd bet that a portion of even the unintentional injury deaths could be prevented as well. Things like deaths from drunk driving are totally preventable by people *not driving drunk.* The same with distracted driving. Not to mention that I think a good portion of the deaths due to suicide could be prevented by better mental health and support services.

I looked up the data on women, but I couldn't find a similar age range. But for 15-19 year old women who died, homicide was the cause of death in:
18% of black/ african american women
10% of hispanic non-white women
5.6% of white women (and about the same for Asian and American Indian women)

I hate to even use the term women, as those 15, 16, and 17 year old's were children. I think that data is some of the most sobering and sad stuff I've read in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda