Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Is this a breakfast item & what is it ?
7df170d80fd1bc7536f42b6d1b597a1c.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This was the next town over from where I grew up, and I remember eating at this place as a kid. I wouldn't have touched a lobster roll with rubber gloves and a pair of insulated tongs.

I’ve never heard of “lobster roll”.

I still would like to know if this is a
breakfast item and what are the contents?

Based on how you feel about it, I can
only imagine that a lobster roll is
similar to a hotdog with respect as to
what is used to make a hotdog and
the ingredients that are used depending
on who is making it.

That you would not go near a lobster roll makes me think that the contents must be pretty foul, unhealthy or is not to your taste buds. I can only guess it’s all of the above.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's just lobster meat, picked out of the body part of the lobster, hashed up with mayonnaise and served on a toasted New England Style frankfurter roll. A good one is usually way overpriced, and a bad one will cause you to Remember The Ptomaine, if you know what I mean.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's just lobster meat, picked out of the body part of the lobster, hashed up with mayonnaise and served on a toasted New England Style frankfurter roll. A good one is usually way overpriced, and a bad one will cause you to Remember The Ptomaine, if you know what I mean.

Got it!
This is similar to a tamale as far as what
goes into making one.
Corn grounded to a dough paste.
Corn leafs are coated with the dough.
Meat (beef,pork,chicken,beans) are
blended into a mulch with hot spices
added.
Meat can be beef, deer, rabbit or as my
mom would say “made out of cats and
dogs” from certain locations.

It is folded and cooked in a pot.
They are cheap but a bad one will
cause you to Remember Montezuma,
as you run to the bathroom.
if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Been down with bronchitis for the last two weeks...trying to get back to normal. :(
7ad4d2f362bf24808963855cd1540418.jpg
2b3da72ed3d6aee19ad574600e38f7b9.jpg

Rob

Very sorry to hear that - hopefully you're on the mend. My girlfriend has had that a few times and it is not fun. I assume they have you on antibiotics?

And great pics, love the classic Texaco station in the snow, plus all the VWs, plus the awesome looking buildings behind and to the left of the station, plus the Mobile station next door. While there's not a Christmas tree in sight, it feels "Christmasy" and I can picture a tree lot popping up soon off to the right.

And the second pic has the wonderful gas station-lunch room combo - can't ask for more.

Feel better buddy.

Last edited:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, folks...I think I'm coming out of it.

Being a 'typical man', I tried to ride it out for 15 days, but it got the best of me...I guess I've learned that I'm not as young as I ever thought I was, lol.

My wife made me go, 'or else'...after 31 years with the woman, I really don't want to know what the 'or else' might be. :)

The doc said it wasn't pneumonia yet, and gave me all types of medications to help clear it up, so I'm slowly climbing out of the funk I've been in lately.

Rob

Thanks, folks...I think I'm coming out of it.

Being a 'typical man', I tried to ride it out for 15 days, but it got the best of me...I guess I've learned that I'm not as young as I ever thought I was, lol.

My wife made me go, 'or else'...after 31 years with the woman, I really don't want to know what the 'or else' might be. :)

The doc said it wasn't pneumonia yet, and gave me all types of medications to help clear it up, so I'm slowly climbing out of the funk I've been in lately.

Rob

It's not just a guy thing, my girlfriend believes all illnesses and injuries can be cured with Vicks and time, but when it went on for weeks and she started to look yellow and sounded about 90, I finally got her to a doctor and, like you, he loaded her up with medicines.

The risk, as you noted, is that, untreated, it can become pneumonia (which hers was right on the cusp of being). Hence, the next time it happened, many years later, I was able to get her to a doctor a bit earlier.

Neither of us is a go-to-the-doctor person, but as I've learned over the years, one has to balance that with thoughtfulness as some stuff needs to be treated. So take your medicine and feel better soon.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I hate to go to clinics or hospitals.

But the last time I took someone,
the doctor told me that if I wanted to
keep playing tennis or riding bicycles,
I should have that checkup for men.
I don’t know if it was her blue eyes and
smile or that she made sense.
Probably both.
But I did.
When I was lying in bed with a hospital
gown that didn’t cover much and very
embarrasing with all the female nurses
around, I wanted to get up and leave.
But one young nurse relaxed me by
telling me, “I envy you with the happy pill I’m going to give you!”

I had no idea what she meant.
I said ... “I must be in heaven because
I am surrounded by angels taking care of me!”

Next thing I knew was waking up much
later.

And Later I found out I’m ok to continue
playing tennis, riding my bike and sharing with you all my silly thoughts! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred