Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I noticed long ago that clown makeup, the traditional setup as above, makes it almost impossible to tell who's under it. It's as good as a mask, and it completely obscures the lines of the face as camouflage does the outline of a body. There's an early Mission: Impossible where both Barney (Greg Morris) and Dan (Steven Hill) wear clown makeup, and it is hard to tell them apart with just a glance.

Oh, and as a trivia note, King revisits the town of Derry, Maine (the setting for It) in his recent novel 11/22/63, with two of the kids from the earlier novel (Beverly is one), set a few years before the early events in It.
That's what I like about King as a horror writer...he runs a thread of continuity through most of his novels.

Rob

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
proxy~01.jpeg

proxy-2~01.jpeg

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1940 Tudor sedan, to be exact. There's one for sale just up the street from me -- it's been sitting in a used-car dealer's lot for about two years now and nobody wants to take a chance on it.

The car at the pumps is also a Ford, either a 1937 or 38.

Those look like 1940 District of Columbia license plates, and DC was an Esso territory at that time.

1940 Tudor sedan, to be exact. There's one for sale just up the street from me -- it's been sitting in a used-car dealer's lot for about two years now and nobody wants to take a chance on it.

The car at the pumps is also a Ford, either a 1937 or 38.

Those look like 1940 District of Columbia license plates, and DC was an Esso territory at that time.

1. I wonder if the not-marquee 1940 cars are losing value as the baby boomers move on?

2. Good eye

3. "Those look like 1940 District of Columbia license plates, and DC was an Esso territory at that time" [from Lizziepedia - a first-in-class provider of an incredible amount of detailed information on the Golden Era to Fedora Lounge]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sunoco didn't really get on the bandwagon with a standardized design until the 1950s -- they experimented with a few interesting ideas in the 1930s, though:

Original-building_Hero.jpg

This one was built in 1939 here in Rockland, and still stands -- it was a Sunoco until the early fifties, and then converted to Gulf until the early 1990s, when it was sold off to become a Verizon cellphone place.

The most familiar standard Sunoco design is probably this one --

greensun2.jpg

These were very common from the fifties to the 70s, either with or without the "Mercury Refined" cadaceus symbol over the SUNOCO letters. Most of these got "top hatted" with fake Colonial roofs in the late sixties, but some survived in their original configuration into the 80s and 90s.

⇧ The first (top) Sunoco station could hold its own with Gulf and Texaco in appearance (mullions on the big wrap-around window would have helped stylistically, IMHO), I'm less of a fan (but remember them well) of the second (lower) style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda