Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Last time I saw a coin changer was when I would take the city bus on Saturdays
to go downtown.
First stop was the library building that was similar to the ones that Fading Fast has
described including the wood interiors with those lovely desks and shelves.

Next was the afternoon matinee.
We had our own *LizzieMaine* running the projection. Only difference was he was
an old man who always carried a copper Rayovac. He would zap you with it
if he thought you were putting your chewing gum under the seats. :(

Last stop was the Coney Island diner and hotdogs with a cold bottle of Dr. Pepper.

Last coin changer I saw was in the last few yeas on Amtrak - some of the conductors still use them. Amazing, but it makes sense as some riders still buy tickets on board with cash.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Regulation coin-changers were available in the Texaco uniform catalog for many years -- they were equipped with a special rubber safety bumper to prevent them from marring the fender on a customer's car when the attendant leaned over to check the oil.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of working women.

I’m guessing that she’s not too thrilled about having to put on
make-up or posing for the camera!
My mom used to wear a scarf or bandana when doing housework.
Most of the cleaning chores was by hand, no appliances until later.
She also worked downtown while I had to take care of the witches (sisters)
when we came home from school.

My ma could swear with the best, but she never did towards us kids
even though there were times when I deserved it.
But boy could she spank!
SHORPY_1a34800u.jpg

April 1943. Clinton, Iowa. "Mrs. Irene Bracker, mother of two, employed at the roundhouse as a wiper, Chicago & North Western R.R." 4x5 Kodachrome transparency by Jack Delano for the Office of War Information

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The lady with the sun glasses, is definitely of Lizzie's ilk. She probably has to wear those shades because she's got a glare that could melt a polar ice cap.
When the soldiers returned from WW2 they expected the ladies to give up their jobs, after all, they had only gone to war to do their duty. Reading old press cuttings from the day, it caused a lot of resentment.

I've been spending many a happy hour researching my car's history. In doing so, I've uncovered some wonderful photos. These are in the years, post war, when factories were returning to peace time production. You can see that many of the ladies were still in situ.
factory 1.jpg factory.jpg factory-mg-cars.jpg

A common site in our country post war, the high street fuel stop. Our trunk roads were only constructed from the late 50's onwards. Before then all major roads went right through every town and village on their route. Many of the fuel pumps had an overhead fuel pipe that swung out over the road. I know of one still in existence, although the garage has long since closed. The local authority put a preservation order on the garage, and it's equipment. Now it awaits a fairy Godmother to finance restoration.
petrol vintage.jpg

Last edited:
Regulation coin-changers were available in the Texaco uniform catalog for many years -- they were equipped with a special rubber safety bumper to prevent them from marring the fender on a customer's car when the attendant leaned over to check the oil.

I love when stuff is that thought out, but let's cut to the chase - did you use one?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I didn't. But a boy I knew in Junior High, who was a salesman for "Grit," not only had one but insisted on wearing it to school just to show off.

My grandfather never used a coin changer that I can remember -- our pumps were so close to the station door that it was easier to just run inside to ring up the sale and bring back the change then to mess with a gadget.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There's so many questions that I get asked at festivals and such, about my car, that I've written a journal. To make it interesting and not all car, car, car, I've added anecdotes. For example, I wrote about fuelling up but then qualified it with being fuelled up. When I started driving self service was unheard of. I uncovered an old photo which I printed off, then, incredibly, I found a garage that a couple had saved from demolition and it's now their home. Here are some photos, who couldn't live in an art deco home?
View attachment 83256 View attachment 83257 View attachment 83258
Quite by chance, whilst searching for something totally different, I came across some photos of this garage before it was restored. You have to have a good eye of perception to look at the dereliction and think, "Do you know, that could make a wonderful home."
Manor garage pre restoration..jpg Manor garage pre restoration.1.jpg

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

I had a toy one as a kid. It was a great prop for mooching coins from adults: I'd offer to return their money, and not wanting to look like pikers, they'd smile and say, "Naw, keep it."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24