Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Or, build the town in a deep valley -- there'd be plenty of snow in the mountains for those who want it, while the town itself could remain snow-free. The mountains would also have the advantage of blocking modern digital television signals, and would make an excellent barrier to keep tourists away.

buelligan

One of the Regulars
There are plenty of small almost empty communities in Ohio where the coal ran out/ the steel moved away/ the pottery left/ or any other number of negative economic impacts happened and the people moved out but the structures still exist. I always thought that the town that East Palestine OH where my grandfather grew up would be a wonderful little town if the economy wasn't so bad in that area. Would be nice to see someone do something like this in that area.

There are plenty of small almost empty communities in Ohio where the coal ran out/ the steel moved away/ the pottery left/ or any other number of negative economic impacts happened and the people moved out but the structures still exist. I always thought that the town that East Palestine OH where my grandfather grew up would be a wonderful little town if the economy wasn't so bad in that area. Would be nice to see someone do something like this in that area.

Too cold. Ohio is out.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Too cold. Ohio is out.

That insistence is certainly modern, given the center of population of the country in the Era. Ihe South would be out, I should think, as the summers there are not comfortably borne without air conditioning. Whilst air conditioning was available to a limited extent during the Era, one cannot spend all of one's time at the Pictures.

Southern Michigan, central Indiana, southern Wisconsin, southern Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Ohio or western Pennsylvania would be good bets. I think that south central MI, east central Ohio and western PA have numbers of well-preserved town sites which are very cheap and perfect for restoration.

That insistence is certainly modern, given the center of population of the country in the Era. Ihe South would be out, I should think, as the summers there are not comfortably borne without air conditioning. Whilst air conditioning was available to a limited extent during the Era, one cannot spend all of one's time at the Pictures.

Southern Michigan, central Indiana, southern Wisconsin, southern Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Ohio or western Pennsylvania would be good bets. I think that south central MI, east central Ohio and western PA have numbers of well-preserved town sites which are very cheap and perfect for restoration.

Warm weather preference is nothing new. The native Americans may have come over the ice bridge but they sure managed to come down to America rather than stay in the snowy mess that they found themselves in. lol lol
All of those towns you mentioned are cheap for a very good reason---it is too damned cold there. Also cold effects buildings in very bad ways. You would have to just about rebuild every abandoned building because their pipes are all likely gone, electrical all gone, sewer system all cracked and gone etc., etc. Cold? No thanks.
Remember Civil War soldiers fought in the Georgia heat in heavy WOOL uniforms. How far we have fallen if we cannot stand heat in far less heavy clothing today. We shall endure! :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Warm weather preference is nothing new. The native Americans may have come over the ice bridge but they sure managed to come down to America rather than stay in the snowy mess that they found themselves in. lol lol
All of those towns you mentioned are cheap for a very good reason---it is too damned cold there. Also cold effects buildings in very bad ways. You would have to just about rebuild every abandoned building because their pipes are all likely gone, electrical all gone, sewer system all cracked and gone etc., etc. Cold? No thanks.
Remember Civil War soldiers fought in the Georgia heat in heavy WOOL uniforms. How far we have fallen if we cannot stand heat in far less heavy clothing today. We shall endure! :p

Yes, but those that could (the ante-bellum Southern Aristocracy, for example) went North in the heat of the summer whenever they could. Industrial and commercial development also lagged greatly in the torrid regions. On the other hand, the change of seasons is rather deeply ingrained in the general American culture of the Era, save for the special and rather peculiar (but nonetheless distinctly American) culture of the West Coast.

I've restored quite a number of antique structures which have been unoccupied for a decade or more. It is not the big deal that you seem to fear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80