Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

johnnydnh

Familiar Face
It has been mentioned in other threads and so I thought that it would be fun to try to work out some of the logistics of creating and maintaining our very own "Golden Era" town. Suppose that we assume that we already have the town and structures. What next?

How many essential jobs would have to be performed?

What sort of economic system would work best?

What kinds of rules would we need?

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
If I participated I would work for the town dentist as his assistant and running the front desk. Maybe Daisy would be our hygienist. Of course someone here would have to be a dentist.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the ideal form of government would be patterned after the New England town meeting system. Many communities up here still follow this model -- a part-time Board of Selectmen is elected to formulate policy, sometimes with a hired Town Manager as a fulltime administrator, and once each year, the Board prepares a warrant containing, line by line, the town budget and any controversial matters needed attention. The entire voting population of the town then assembles in a school gym, a lodge hall, a rec center, or some such public building, and votes on the warrant line by line and item by item. These meetings often take the better part of a day, and every registered voter has the chance speak his or her piece from the floor on any matter under consideration.

The Selectmen -- serving as the executive branch of the government -- are totally responsible to the townspeople, who act collectively as the legislative branch.

I grew up with this system, and to this day I think it's the purest form of democracy that exists in the United States. And where it's still in use, it still works.

Oh, and I'll work at the radio station too. And the movie theatre.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DancingSweetie said:
If I participated I would work for the town dentist as his assistant and running the front desk. Maybe Daisy would be our hygienist. Of course someone here would have to be a dentist.
Hey that's a great idea!!! You seem like a great lady to work with, and with the two of us taking care of "Our Little Town", everyone would have the cleanest, healthiest teeth. Very important for overall health of our neighbors.
Of course, I would want to run the candy store during my free time:D

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
We would need a dry cleaner, a tailor, a butcher, bakery, an undertaker, a doctor and nurse, hardware store, mailman....... there would have to be a nightclub, a couple of restaurants besides the soda fountain......

I nominate Wild Root as mayor.

carebear

A jeweler and watch repair. Gunstore / smith / range. Tailors, hatters and a leatherworker / shoemaker. Shoeshine boy. Pool hall (WITH a capital "P" that rhymes with "T" :D ). A garage and gas station. Butcher / grocer. Telegram office. Telephone switchboard. Bank.

The economic system would depend on the size, barter only works efficiently on a real small scale. I'd recommend a gold or silver standard currency rather than fiat money in any event.

Mike in Seattle

LizzieMaine said:
I think the ideal form of government would be patterned after the New England town meeting system. Many communities up here still follow this model -- a part-time Board of Selectmen is elected to formulate policy, sometimes with a hired Town Manager as a fulltime administrator, and once each year, the Board prepares a warrant containing, line by line, the town budget and any controversial matters needed attention. The entire voting population of the town then assembles in a school gym, a lodge hall, a rec center, or some such public building, and votes on the warrant line by line and item by item. These meetings often take the better part of a day, and every registered voter has the chance speak his or her piece from the floor on any matter under consideration.

The Selectmen -- serving as the executive branch of the government -- are totally responsible to the townspeople, who act collectively as the legislative branch.

I grew up with this system, and to this day I think it's the purest form of democracy that exists in the United States. And where it's still in use, it still works.

Oh, and I'll work at the radio station too. And the movie theatre.

It Happened to Jane is one movie where they depicted pretty much what you describe. Anyone who hasn't seen the movie should. It's a hoot!

Mike in Seattle

carebear said:
A jeweler and watch repair. Gunstore / smith / range. Tailors, hatters and a leatherworker / shoemaker. Shoeshine boy. Pool hall (WITH a capital "P" that rhymes with "T" :D ). A garage and gas station. Butcher / grocer. Telegram office. Telephone switchboard. Bank.

Office supply with an array of fountain pens & inks, accounting ledgers, typewriter ribbons, adding machine tape, stationery - both business & personal, probably a small printing press in the back. Oh yeah - gotta stock Moleskines! ;) Since drug store with lunch counter & soda fountain was mentioned, I'll add a diner to the list. Music store (sheet music, instruments) which would also probably sell records and radios. Haberdasher for the higher quality shirts & ties you couldn't find at the department store. Town square with a bandstand. Car dealer. Streetcar.

What else is "Vintageville" lacking?

carebear

Good call on the square with bandstand. :eusa_clap

How about a lake on the outskirts for fishing and boating with a bathing beach and pavilion.

A law office for wills and such. Courthouse with JP and flagpole. A hoosegow for when Saturday night gets a bit out of hand. An air raid siren. A mortician / cemetary. A library (who's the Marion... librarian volunteer?) A monument to fallen heroes in the square.

Someplace will need to have a smoke-filled back room for various misdeeds like poker games or the playing of stag films.

A spooky old house on one of the streets and "haunted Indian caves" outside town.

carebear

Old fashioned streetlights to flicker on at dusk (and for swinging around while singing and dancing). :)

A wooden Indian in front of the 5 and Dime.

A 5 and Dime.

A tobacconist for cigarettes, cigars and pipes for those who indulge. A package store for the other big vice.

At least one newsstand.

If we get big enough, a streetcar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB