Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. The brim is 3 1/4 and crown is 5 3/4ths. I found the body at an Antique show. No ribbon and cheap sweatband. Looked like it was never worn. The weave isn't perfect, but you have to look close to see the minor discrepancies. It's become my favorite summer hat.

fedoralover

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Greetings. Was hoping someone might assist. I have searched here and elsewhere on Panama hat care. I have a beautiful 10 year old Montecristi from Panama Bob. It fits perfectly. Yet it seems to be developing "wings" along the sides of the brim. I have tried to iron, steam, tea kettle, and starch numerous times. I love the hat. I want to keep it. But I do not know what to do. My wife believes it is beginning to look like something Jethro would have worn in The Beverly Hillbillies--for those who can recall the show. Welcome any advice. Best regards to all.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This is what straw hats do. It takes knowledge and experience to restore the shape with a little steam. A hatter can do this for you. Not sure who to recommend near you - others might have some suggestions. I would not recommend Panama Bob.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That's a nice hat. It seems that the better quality a Montecristi hat is, the more the brim just does what it wants.

I think yours looks fine as it is, if it were mine, I'd just wear it.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Are you storing the hat upside down? It may be gravity taking over if you are. I'm guessing this because it looks like the ribbon is slipping up (down) the crown as well. A skilled hatter can fix this as Allen says or leave it as is like David suggests, it doesn't look that bad to me either but it's your hat. Sounds like your not happy as is though. If you stand right side up long enough it may cure itself. Sorry, couldn't resist that last advice ;) I can personally recommend Black Sheep Hat Works for renovation although his backlog is getting quite long

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Many thanks for all of these recommendations. I may just enjoy the hat--flop and all.
It is wonderful to have you all as a resource.
I also just posted my avatar image; yours truly with the Stan the Man statue in St. Louis, home of my beloved Redbirds, albeit now a long distance from me in Savannah.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Another cause for the sides to curl up is if your head tends toward long oval. The extra pressure fore and aft tends to make the sides curl and wave a bit. If that's the cause, reflanging the brim using the proper oval should help.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My kind of straw! You might want to give Tom Gomez a chance to work some of his magic on it. I'd love to see it all cleaned up.

Cavanagh Panamagh

Out of season purchase but with flowers blooming and Buffalo forecast to reach 70 today, not out of mind... a newly acquired montecristi sold by Cavanagh. I was surprised to be joined by only three other bidders on this one, which sold at auction for $100. Era unknown to me but likely post-war to 1950. This is the highest quality straw hat I have handled that was branded to one of the major hat companies. The weave is very even and measures 32-35 crossings/inch horizontally. 2 3/4" brim, 1 1/8" ribbon with bow that is hooked into place like a puggaree. No price or tags other than the handwritten stickers shown below. In excellent condition with no evidence of having been sold to a consumer, it will need to be steamed, shaped and flanged to return it to original form after decades of storage.

cavapanama1.jpg

cavapanama2.jpg

cavapanama3.jpg

cavapanama4.jpg

cavapanama5.jpg

FrankMc

Familiar Face
Looking at a Henschel Diamanté Cuenca, straw hat for $80 new. Nice looking, I like the safari brim, any experience with this hat?

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
This is an amazing hat Fastuni and adds more mystery to oriental straw hats. Thanks for posting it. The uniform weave and details like the vent holes and welted brim suggest it may not be straw. Could it be fabric?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21