Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hats for Summer

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BobC said:
I've had a Panama on order from Bob for more than two months now and haven't received it. He posted in another thread that I read a week or so ago that he was having some trouble due to bad weather in Ecuador and due to some dificulties with competition there. I hope to see my hat before much longer...it's going to warm up here sooner or later. Bob

I got an e-mail! My hat's in the mail! And wouldn't ya know it...I'm out of town this weekend and the hat will probably be here[huh] . Ain't that the way it goes?

Lucky Luke

New in Town
It sounds like things down south are pretty rough. I hope that mine is in the mail too. I ordered 11-25-07. If all looks good I will be ordering again. When it comes I'll post a pic or 2.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Newbie Questions - Weave and Design

I am looking at the panama hats sold by Panama Bob and vacillating between 300 and 500 wpi and between the classic C and English Optimo designs. (My wife and daughter both say I look better in hats which don't slope bottom to top). As to the weave, Robert says the difference between the 300 and 500 is noteworthy in a side-to-side comparison but that I might err on the side of lower cost if I am unsure. I appreciate the reassuring soft-sell, but I also remember Aldo Gucci's maxim "quality is remembered after price is forgotten." Any advice on these issues?

Highlander

A-List Customer
Lots of great stuff here, my last two Panama's were the Stetson Retro. One was about $50, and a fair hat. The other was about $100, and a very fine hat.

Not, like some of the $250 plus hats though that are almost like linnen. One day I'll have one of those. :)

Rick Blaine

Highlander said:
Lots of great stuff here, my last two Panama's were the Stetson Retro. One was about $50, and a fair hat. The other was about $100, and a very fine hat.

Not, like some of the $250 plus hats though that are almost like linnen. One day I'll have one of those. :)

I have been eyeballing the Retro for this summer. Some web retailers have it at 2 3/4" brim width, some at 2 1/2"...How wide was yours? How about the crown? Good sweat? Would you buy another?

BobC

PhilS said:
I am looking at the panama hats sold by Panama Bob and vacillating between 300 and 500 wpi

Mine was sitting on the porch when I arrived home Sunday afternoon. I ordered a 300 wpi and I can tell you it's a nice looking hat. The weave is a lot tighter than I expected it to be. There was a problem though....I ordered it too small, so I have it boxed up to send back to Robert for a replacement. :eek: Now I'm back to waiting. I feel pretty dumb, but I guess that's the way it goes.

RBH

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
I have been eyeballing the Retro for this summer. Some web retailers have it at 2 3/4" brim width, some at 2 1/2"...How wide was yours? How about the crown? Good sweat? Would you buy another?
My Retro has the 2 1\2 brim, its a nice hat for the low cost but I was wanting a 2 3\4 brim. The seller where I got mine changed the ad when I let him know about the size difference. He told me he got his info from Stetson.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, both of my Stetsons have the 2 3/4" brim. The cheaper one has a cloth sweat band in it. It is my ADVENTURE hat. The nicer one has a leather sweat band, and is a classy hat.

I also have a Miller Panama with a Center Dent and a 2 3/4" brim that's a great hat too.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Now addressing the crown, both of my Stetson's have a tear drop. As for, would I buy again. YES.. Great hats for the price.

drjones

A-List Customer
panama hats

I have been looking at these as well. I had my mother bring me back a panama hat from Ecuador but unfortunately it was WAY too small. Im looking to get one that actually fits. Undecided on whether I want one that will fold up or just a fedora style one. Suggestions? Experiences good or bad either way?

I need all the info I can get.

DRJONES

Lucky Luke

New in Town
My "Fino Cuenca Llano Liso arrived!" Classy, excellent hat for the price. I love the narrow band that came with it and the fit is perfect. Photos are posted here: http://whitewaterphotography.com/ph...onth=3&Day=28&Year=2008&cmdEventSearch=Search

I was a bit misled by the 3-4 week wait time advertised on the site, but it was winter and Bob was always quick to respond to questions.

Anyone looking for advice on Panamas - Bob does a great job!

RBH

Bartender
Lucky Luke said:
My "Fino Cuenca Llano Liso arrived!" Classy, excellent hat for the price. I love the narrow band that came with it and the fit is perfect. Photos are posted here: http://whitewaterphotography.com/ph...onth=3&Day=28&Year=2008&cmdEventSearch=Search

I was a bit misled by the 3-4 week wait time advertised on the site, but it was winter and Bob was always quick to respond to questions.

Anyone looking for advice on Panamas - Bob does a great job!
Photo does not show up for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou