Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hats for Summer

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

Razzman

One Too Many
Vintage Dobbs Panama!

I was fortunate to acquire this hat from a fellow lounger. It's a Dobbs Panama with a 2 1/2" brim. I can't wait for the warmer weather to wear it.
razzman68

razzman68

razzman68

razzman68

razzman68

ideaguy

One Too Many
ChicagoRon said:
This is my first posting on the FL. I just discovered it and think it's great-- I have purchased a couple of beautiful felt fedoras from Worth and Worth in NYC-- their own brand made in Italy, around $200 each. Recently got a Borsolino Jocky Tweed Cap (even though not a fedora, a great cap)--- and now want to get a nice Panama Fedora, or Montecristi, or etc. I looked at the Optimo site from Chicago (my original home town!) -- but they are quite pricey. But I saw some other sites where "Panama" hats that look nice are going for around $150--200.
Can I get a really nice straw fedora for $200 or under, or do I need to spring for big bucks? The summer is short in Massachusetts (where I live now) and I'm looking to save a few bucks, but not at the loss of quality.
Where should I look?
Thanks and I look forward to participating on here in the future.

Ron

2008---- The Year the Cubs and Red Sox meet in World Series!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Spring is finally here! (out with the Panama)

Well out with it 'briefly' as it's a gorgeous sunny day here in the UK but it's merely giving us a false feeling of security as 'snow' (yes SNOW!!) is forecast to hit this weekend [huh] Yes...spring has a nasty habit of doing that in the northern hemisphere on this little island. Just when you think you can get the Panama out, a gust of wind and a few snow storms come out of the blue to blow it to blazes!

I've made a new ribbon for it (the vintage dark gold you see), so thanks to Steve for sending that length of vintage ribbon, as it's much more interesting than the standard black.

Anyway, for now, I'm just sitting back and enjoying this glorious weather...until the weekend ;)

Casablanca004.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Ah, spring has sprung (at least momentarily)! You look fab as always. I wondered if you had ever gotten the ribbon Paddy--it looks great on the hat.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
rgraham said:
The hats are currently still in the shop being blocked. They should arrive in 3 or 4 weeks. I will see about some photos when they do.
As stated earlier, I will find out just exactly how my friend came to the conclusion as to why he bought this particular hat.

Rgraham,

Is there any chance to see the blocked 30K hat in photo?

Tom

MattJH

One Too Many
So, I've been perusing www.panamaz.biz. I don't want to spend more than $100, so it's narrowed down to these three:

150 avg. weaves/sq. in. Sub Fino hat Blocked in Ecuador ($99)
150+ Fino Ortega Block ($99)
Fino Cuenca Llano Liso ($89)

The first I'd get in the C Crown, the latter two in the Cabellero.

Of these three, which would you all recommend? I'm not familiar with panama / straw hats at all, so I don't really know what to look for or care about. I did read the FAQ.

Purpose: I just need a casual summer hat, but I'd prefer something that will last rather than going to the local department store and picking up an inferior $20 beater.

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Dumbjaw said:
So, I've been perusing www.panamaz.biz. I don't want to spend more than $100, so it's narrowed down to these three:

150 avg. weaves/sq. in. Sub Fino hat Blocked in Ecuador ($99)
150+ Fino Ortega Block ($99)
Fino Cuenca Llano Liso ($89)

The first I'd get in the C Crown, the latter two in the Cabellero.

Of these three, which would you all recommend? I'm not familiar with panama / straw hats at all, so I don't really know what to look for or care about. I did read the FAQ.

Purpose: I just need a casual summer hat, but I'd prefer something that will last rather than going to the local department store and picking up an inferior $20 beater.

I would invest in the Fino Cuenca Llano Liso Panama Hat. I have one that I picked up from Panama Bob and it is great.

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou