Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hats for Summer

HungaryTom

One Too Many
rgraham said:
Here's a place I was just at this last weekend in Santa Fe NM.

http://www.montecristihats.com/

A friend of mine was buying one of their $30,000 Panamas. Yes, that is no joke. A really nice guy, and a great little shop. I was able to take the 10 cent tour in the back shop. Fun to see all the stuff it takes to make a hat from a basic blank. Are one of these hats worth that much? I guess so, if you have the money. The two blanks he chose from were the finest feeling weaves I've ever touched. Paper thin.

IMG_2388.jpg

Paper thin? yes all the 3 hats are - especially the fedora in the back.
Very nice weaves.
30.000 USD? I paid less than 7% if you add up their total price incl S+H over the Atlantic.
The hats were woven by museo fino family, Espinal family, super fino family in Pile or Pampas /Ecuador.
They were blocked by 3 different US master hatters who did hats for US presidents, Pavarotti, Hollywood movies, blahblahblah.
The shop where I did purchase is www.panamas.biz.
Pls. help your friend and tell him this all when he sits on a chair.
Please persuade him to share a photo of his hat here at fedora lounge.

rgraham

A-List Customer
I'm sure he could not care less.

Good for you however!

The one I purchase will most likely cost less than $100.

If this forum is about hats, then lets not "bash" those that spend more money on a hat than you make in a year.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
rgraham said:
I'm sure he could not care less.

Good for you however!

The one I purchase will most likely cost less than $100.

If this forum is about hats, then lets not "bash" those that spend more money on a hat than you make in a year.

Rgraham,

I could care less about your friends wallet either.
I have also seen rich men.
I did not "bash" anyone.
This forum is also about behaviour.
Good day.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had a Panama on order from Bob for more than two months now and haven't received it. He posted in another thread that I read a week or so ago that he was having some trouble due to bad weather in Ecuador and due to some dificulties with competition there. I hope to see my hat before much longer...it's going to warm up here sooner or later. Bob

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Rgraham

If this forum is about hats, then lets not "bash" those that spend more money on a hat than you make in a year

Milton Johnson is a respected hatter here and elsewhere so I think you perhaps are misreading Hungary Tom's intentions. I don't see where he is bashing the hatter, or criticizing your friend, but rather showing what can be purchased elsewhere at a savings. I also think he misread your post, thinking that your friend might have spent that sort of money, not seeing that it was a joke.

We are an international group Rgraham, sometimes things get misinterpreted.

univibe88

One Too Many
BobC said:
I've had a Panama on order from Bob for more than two months now and haven't received it. He posted in another thread that I read a week or so ago that he was having some trouble due to bad weather in Ecuador and due to some dificulties with competition there. I hope to see my hat before much longer...it's going to warm up here sooner or later. Bob

It takes some time, but your patience will be rewarded.

rgraham

A-List Customer
HungaryTom said:
Rgraham,

I could care less about your friends wallet either.
I have also seen rich men-believe or not I did even work for them.
I did not "bash" anyone.
This forum is also about behaviour.
Good day.

Then I'll leave it at that.

Wealthy people can chose to spend their money as they please. I posted this to let others know what is out there, and what some people believe to be the best.

And thanks, my day has been good.

I hope my "behavior" is up to your standard.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
Welcome to the Lounge Rgraham
I also think he misread your post, thinking that your friend might have spent that sort of money, not seeing that it was a joke.
/QUOTE]

Thanks for your welcome, and it was no joke.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Blimey..looks like I'm the one misreading the post. Hope your friend is pleased with the hat!! As an aside, how did he decide to go with Milton over Michael Harris...Pauls Hat works? What factors if you know.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
Blimey..looks like I'm the one misreading the post. Hope your friend is pleased with the hat!! As an aside, how did he decide to go with Milton over Michael Harris...Pauls Hat works? What factors if you know.

I will ask him and get back to you.

BTW, that was not the only hat purchased that day. He also bought his wife a fine Panama, and one more "work" hat for himself. The latter a nice fur felt.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Rgraham,

Thanks for being open and straightforward.

I agree with you that anyone is free to spend own funds as he/she likes.

I am glad that your friend also presented his wife with a nice Panama - just as I did recently.

Milton Johnson is in the business since the 1970s so he might have some nice vintage Montecristi fino hats which never multiply in numbers and will be never produced again. Hence the price range.

Anyhow, hat photos are really wanted here.

Welcome.

rgraham

A-List Customer
HungaryTom said:
Rgraham,

Thanks for being open and straightforward.

Anyhow, hat photos are really wanted here.

Welcome.

The hats are currently still in the shop being blocked. They should arrive in 3 or 4 weeks. I will see about some photos when they do.
As stated earlier, I will find out just exactly how my friend came to the conclusion as to why he bought this particular hat.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Pics would be great Rgraham, Sorry for my curiosity, it's just that with you in Norcal and Michael Harris in SF, being as well known as Milton for his Panama's , it seems out of the "ordinary" to travel that far. Of course I'm making assumptions that perhaps I shouldn't. I can easily see it as a "spur of the moment" purchase, as well as a dedicated trip.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
Pics would be great Rgraham, Sorry for my curiosity, it's just that with you in Norcal and Michael Harris in SF, being as well known as Milton for his Panama's , it seems out of the "ordinary" to travel that far. Of course I'm making assumptions that perhaps I shouldn't. I can easily see it as a "spur of the moment" purchase, as well as a dedicated trip.

I can assure you it was no spur of the moment decision. My friend had already purchased one of Milt's hats prior to this trip. I will have to ask him about Mr. Harris. I plan on heading into the city to take a look at Harris' in the near future. I only live about 10 miles from his shop.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Good, that tells me he has a "track record" with Milton, so there is a good enough reason for the travel. I'm reading an "edgy" tone in your posts and am doing my best to alleviate that RG, but please understand I mean nothing demeaning with a "spur of the moment" comment. I spent my entire previous career working for some of the most resourceful families in SF who had the ability to "spur of the moment" purchase anything in the world, and sometimes did, literally.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
Good, that tells me he has a "track record" with Milton, so there is a good enough reason for the travel. I'm reading an "edgy" tone in your posts and am doing my best to alleviate that RG, but please understand I mean nothing demeaning with a "spur of the moment" comment. I spent my entire previous career working for some of the most resourceful families in SF who had the ability to "spur of the moment" purchase anything in the world, and sometimes did, literally.

I'm sorry if my posts seem edgy, but I am known to be a bit terse when it comes to forum intercourse.

I hope we can all get past these initial misconceptions, as I do enjoy reading this forum, and have much more I would like to contribute.

I am in no way in the same league as my friend when it comes to purchases, but I do enjoy a bit of a vicarious thrill when he does. I was overjoyed to receive my Hat People's newsboy hat that cost $40. My pleasures are simple.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
he was having some trouble due to bad weather in Ecuador and due to some dificulties with competition there.
'

True and True. I can't document the other hatter who steals my hats, other than by what the weavers say..."I needed the money....yada yada yada... The second is easly verified by looking at news.yahoo.com and searching for "rain" and "ecuador" and read and look at the photos.

The other thing, that I didn't mention, is that my brother in law must have the IQ of a beagle. He screws much more up than he is worth."

If anyone wants to pay $30,000 for a hat, they should go to Ecuador, buy the hat and put the other 28,000 into a charity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara