Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

John Galt

Vendor
Yes, eventually. I have a set of Optimo & fedora style Panama blocks & tippers and want to play.

I'll save at least one for myself. I've been amazingly & unexpectedly lucky at finding these, but am always afraid I won't find another.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

Got a couple of packages today. Some of my parabuntal speculation purchases arrived. Turns out to be a score.

fb49e7a7246ae50228c7a12215b52769.jpg
05b92793c401d156535f22.jpg[/IMG]
361ad2a8e2593692f9e83344f2bed1bc.jpg

They sure are pretty in the light! This one I believe was described as a 70's lightweighr natural straw. 39 grams, the edge had been trimmed and bound with a wire, so I'll probably trim it and bind it when I do it up.

0347ed3dc7bde5c3a85f0519454129d0.jpg
32f3f57283c3d6a4eea69682223e7a04.jpg
a01ee165758e74cc64532617399728e7.jpg

This one was desctibed as a 50's fine natural straw in the thumbnail, and as buntal in the full description. It has some soiling, but not bad. There was some damage to the ribbon sweat that the seller found after I bought it, so she included a note saying she had refunded my purchase price and gave me the hat as a gift. I thought that was very kind of her. I cut the sweat out anyway.

bf0a5889801deda06786d9013f4ad9bf.jpg

That's my WWII era one on top left for comparison. Hope more boxes show up tomorrow!:)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, John, Fruno and RJR. The lighter one certinly does have a beautiful pattern in the crown. In better light it has an apricot-like undertone, similar to te pinkish hue in a good silverbelly. The only downside to these vintage straws is the machine stitch-line from the sweat. Some broken straws and what looks a lot like a "tear on the dotted line" line. Gotta be gentle with that.
Fruno, I don't think you will have to wait too long...I feel like a straw junkie that needs a fix!

John Galt

Vendor
I understand your passion with straws. It is a not entirely, but significantly new arena, and one I look forward to seriously venturing into when I (soon) get caught up. Which of these was blocked on the modified open crown block you posted in the hatters tools thread?

Sweatbandjo

Familiar Face
old Parabuntal

Blocked and finished by Optimo... 4 1/2" crown, 2 3/8" rolled brim.

Weighs 1.9 ounces, just under half of which is sweatband and ribbon.

Everything I had hoped.

parabuntal7.jpg

parabuntal8.jpg

parabuntal9.jpg

parabuntal10.jpg

parabuntal11.jpg

parabuntal14.jpg

parabuntal12.jpg

parabuntal13.jpg
What an ACE hat Alan! That is a gem of a find, I am pea-green with jealousy!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I just posted too many pictures on the Post New Hats Here thread, so this should do for this thread... I just picked this up, and it's too small. Are these parabuntal straw hats able to take a reblocking up to a larger size? I've read that they're very durable and "elastic" for want of a better word. But holding it in hand makes me doubt...

i-fX2LrBz-L.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I picked up a Country Gentleman Genuine Buntal hat from ebay, and was not very impressed. It hat a pretty sharp, bent crease on once corner and there are spots that are loose and stretched out, looking worn. There are other real small spots of concern but I can live with those.

After I cleared up some things with the seller, who was very cool and professional about it, I decided to give a shot at getting out the sharp bend and waves in the wonky brim and also get the front brim pointed down like a classic fedora... my attempt to reshape the crown bash will come later.

I considered steam, but just poured filtered water over the brim and let that soak in a little after shaking off the excess. Then I repeated the pour, shake and wait process on the underside of the brim, too.

With gentle pulling, curling and holding during the air drying it came out a lot better than I though it would. This parabuntal straw is really workable when it's wet. Now I can wear this hat without being embarrassed!

Before pics:
i-g7L9s3w.jpg

i-4px3j8z.jpg

After:

i-vJJm5TV-M.jpg
i-ZckPRqK-M.jpg

i-v7w5TSg-M.jpg
i-4t4qWwk-M.jpg

i-nJcqF9T-M.jpg

I picked up a Country Gentleman Genuine Buntal hat from ebay, and was not very impressed. It hat a pretty sharp, bent crease on once corner and there are spots that are loose and stretched out, looking worn. There are other real small spots of concern but I can live with those.

After I cleared up some things with the seller, who was very cool and professional about it, I decided to give a shot at getting out the sharp bend and waves in the wonky brim and also get the front brim pointed down like a classic fedora... my attempt to reshape the crown bash will come later.

I considered steam, but just poured filtered water over the brim and let that soak in a little after shaking off the excess. Then I repeated the pour, shake and wait process on the underside of the brim, too.

With gentle pulling, curling and holding during the air drying it came out a lot better than I though it would. This parabuntal straw is really workable when it's wet. Now I can wear this hat without being embarrassed!

Before pics:
i-g7L9s3w.jpg

i-4px3j8z.jpg

After:

i-vJJm5TV-M.jpg
i-ZckPRqK-M.jpg

i-v7w5TSg-M.jpg
i-4t4qWwk-M.jpg

i-nJcqF9T-M.jpg

Great transformation Doug. The hat does have a new life now. I don't hate the crease as it is right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21