Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PatternMaster

crwritt

One Too Many
Maja said:
Hello ladies,

I am thinking of purchasing the software program PatternMaster for designing and drafting patterns, I draft my own patterns but this could speed the process as the idea is that the patterns are draftet to your own measurements.

Does anyone have any experience with this, is it good?

http://www.wildginger.com/products/pmboutique.htm

Maja

It looks like you can download a free demo and try it. It does look intriguing.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I have the demo and I love it. I have ordered the Boutique version although I haven't recieved it yet. I also did flat pattern drafting but I found it very time consuming. This will save me a lot of time and paper!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Sure will! But it might take a while....Although I am expecting it this week, I am moving in three weeks and I have already boxed up my sewing room. I'd hate to move in the middle of a project:eusa_doh: So I'll probably turn something out as soon as we get settled in.

crwritt

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
I have the demo and I love it. I have ordered the Boutique version although I haven't recieved it yet. I also did flat pattern drafting but I found it very time consuming. This will save me a lot of time and paper!
I think i"ll download the free accessories package. It promises hats and footwear.I studied flat pattern drafting and agree, all the tracing and retracing, takes up time. I've found lots of shortcuts for work,(I design and make mascot costumes) such as draping with sheet plastic, packing tape and a sharpie, never adding seam allowances to my patterns, etc. I have a pile of old pattern draft books from my mother in law who studied it in the 40's. I find them fascinating, but haven't tried to draft them in my size.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
woohoo!

I got it today! I've been watching all of the video tutorials and they are fantastic. I've been playing with the Pattern Editor and I'm having a blast. It's really not that hard. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to add a seam allowance to a curve. I think your experience and knowledge in flat pattern drafting are the only things that can hold you back. I learned all of my flat pattern drafting from Vintage Sewing Info and a book I found at my local library so the information is easy to find. I still have to do the fitting. I'll let you know how that goes in a few weeks.

crwritt

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
I got it today! I've been watching all of the video tutorials and they are fantastic. I've been playing with the Pattern Editor and I'm having a blast. It's really not that hard. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to add a seam allowance to a curve. I think your experience and knowledge in flat pattern drafting are the only things that can hold you back. I learned all of my flat pattern drafting from Vintage Sewing Info and a book I found at my local library so the information is easy to find. I still have to do the fitting. I'll let you know how that goes in a few weeks.
I'd be curious to know how well the pattern pieces fit together,I've been playing with the demo and can see that there are endless style combinations.
How musch did you pay, and which package did you get?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Well I ordered the Boutique program. I chose the CD option so I had to pay for shipping and I chose the shipping option with tracking #. I had to pay customs once it got here. All together, after the shipping and customs it was almost 300CAD. But you can order the dowload option with no shipping and no customs and that would bring the price down considerably.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Hi girls,
Any more inputs about this? i am really curious and i would like to hear more details about this.

Thank you all;)

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
This sounds very intriguing...I've read drafting books and am taking a drafting class next semester, but as a costume designer I still need easy ways to make patterns in multiple sizes. Maybe I should look into this.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
FINALLY!

I finally got a chance to make one of the fitting garments from WildGinger PatternMaster Boutique. This is the first muslin dress. So far it's quite good. I have to change a few things and I have e-mailed the support group to help me get it just right. There is so much guidance and assistance available to help with this program it's unreal. They have 1-800 #s, forums, and e-mail adresses.

DSC02549_edited.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
You certainly could! So long as the patterns are not beyond your ability to draft/understand flat patterns. I would just download the demo and try to reproduce the patterns you are interested in resizing. I would use the Style Editor to get as close as possible, then change the settings to get it closer. And then, if need be, you could adjust anything else in the Pattern Editor.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
SALE!!!

Well you're in luck because PatternMaster is on SALE!! 15% off PatternMaster and Cameo Programs until Dec.31

crwritt

One Too Many
I was just wondering how well the pattern pieces fitted together?
Your muslin looks like it fits you well. Was there a lot of tweaking?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
There wasn't too much tweaking. Everything matched up perfectly. The sleeves had a bit more gather than what I am used to but nothing a little 'baste/ease' can't handle. I know that when you start to play with the default settings, things may not line up exactly. But the WildGinger group are constantly releasing program updates (every 4 months I think) in which they resolve these types of issues. I know you can browse the forums as a guest. It might give you a better picture of the programs' limitations and problems. They do a lot of troubleshooting in the forums.

Lorena B

Practically Family
MarieAnne, how long did the whole thing take to arrive when you bought it?
Correct me if i am wrong, but it looks like you can draw any style you want to make the pattern right?
Do you need any sort of software? i am asking because the possible incompatibilities with Mac.
I am sorry there are so many questions but for whatever reason, i am unable to see the demo:rage: .

Thank you.!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart