Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

moustache

Practically Family
PADDY said:
Michaelson, that's the type of handlebar number that was often seen in the RAF sported by fighter pilots during WWII. It's got bags of character and I dare say is great for carrying a few bottles of malt in too!

But, I'm still a beginner at this moustache malarkey, and the old Flynn tache is the one I'm trying to still perfect.

ErrolFlynn009.jpg

Having said that, I haven't had a good word said about it, and some folk are quite derogatory about it to my face, which is a big shame...'for them!'
I'm sticking with it, as at the end of the day, I'm the guy who has got to live with it. And when I get bored, then, and only then, can I whip it off :)

Currently looking at the possibility of a straight open razor (cut throat) which might get some sharper lines in this baby!
Flynn1.jpg

Keep up the good work!! There is a lot to be said about the facial furniture men can show off. just keep it growing and take your B multi vitamins!!!

Thanks for mentioning the RAF and handlebars!!!!They go together well!!!!
If interested in The Handlebar Club,a moustache club originally made up of RAF fighters from the Battle of Britain,go to
www.handlebarclub.org.uk

JD Moostache

8-july05small.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Hey thanks! Y'know, I've always wanted to pull off the part in the middle of the upper lip, but I've never been able to style it right.

Barry

Practically Family
Any thoughts on moustache dye? My moustache is coming in so-so. After two weeks it is mostly blond with a few dark brown stragglers. I tried to grow one a couple of months ago but I gave up. It was just too light in color.

Barry

Michaelson

One Too Many
Honestly, 'Just for Men' is a fine product for just what you're wanted to do. Just don't get a color to dark. ;) In your case, light brown should be fine. Apply according to instructions, and leave it on for about 5 minutes or so, then shampoo out with regular shampoo. The color stays, and won't leave until your whiskers grow out.

My wife and daughters INSISTED I use some for touch up, as my 'stache is going pure white in some places. Completely skipped the 'gray' stage, so I'm speaking from personal experience. Good stuff.

Regards! Michaelson

moustache

Practically Family
But be careful

Michaelson said:
Honestly, 'Just for Men' is a fine product for just what you're wanted to do. Just don't get a color to dark. ;) In your case, light brown should be fine. Apply according to instructions, and leave it on for about 5 minutes or so, then shampoo out with regular shampoo. The color stays, and won't leave until your whiskers grow out.

My wife and daughters INSISTED I use some for touch up, as my 'stache is going pure white in some places. Completely skipped the 'gray' stage, so I'm speaking from personal experience. Good stuff.

Regards! Michaelson

Read the instructions carefully as my workmate used it and the allergic reaction was horrible.He had to shave all of his facial hair off and use medication from the doctor for three weeks to get his skin back to normal.
I have used it a few times for darkening my handlebar for moustache and beard competitions.Worked well for me minus the nasty smell.Sure wish they could tidy up the aroma a wee bit.

JD

Barry

Practically Family
After about 2.5 weeks I don't think mine is going to work out. It's just not coming in that thick and it looks somewhat ridiculous. I'm going to give it another week or two and see what happens. In the past, I have had some hairs start out blond and light and then turn dark and thick in a short period of time. Maybe that will happen this time too. [huh]

Barry

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Repeating Myself

I posted the story somewhere awhile back about being on a dat with a beaufitul young woman many years ago. My pencil moustache wasn't very thick, so I helped it with some... pencil.
We kissed, it schmeared off on her lip, end of date.

Major mortification.

Good gravy, I'm repeating myself now. Just give me the "I'm a boring old fart" T-shirt.

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
I posted the story somewhere awhile back about being on a dat with a beaufitul young woman many years ago. My pencil moustache wasn't very thick, so I helped it with some... pencil.
We kissed, it schmeared off on her lip, end of date.

Major mortification.
What a great story! :)
I have used eyeliner pencil to "fill in" the blank spots in my younger days. My current facial hair is a goatee and am thinking of trimming it as a pencil style for the QM event. I am slowly practicing trimming the 'stache.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
First of all, for a pencil moustache, you need the appropriate growth of beard. I'm serious, otherwise it just won't come out. I read once that a pencil moustache is considered manly exactly because it requires a strong growth of darker hairs. Rather silly idea, by the way, as a pencil moustache looks very cared for and groomed - which doesn't fit into the clich?© of "manly" that the onlookers probably have.

Old thread, but thought I would weigh in.

I sported one for years in SF. Fun. But a pain in the butt. I kind of disagree with the thought that you need a full growth. I notice that a lot of Mexicans seem to naturally grow a nice looking thin moustache that looks pencil. Me, I have a very full thick high stash, so if I shave the top, I still get that dark blue sheen, and it grows out quickly.

My answer was to pluck it. It hurts like heck at first, but once you do, you only have to pluck a few every few days. Unfortunately that was before the common digital cameras, so I don not have many pics. I will try to dig some out.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Black felt tip pen. A la Richard Richard in Bottom. Just don't go with the green pen.

bk

Oh yeah, if you mess up and tweeze a hair or two too much, you can use mascara to fill it in till it grows.

Or if you want to look extra sharply groomed.

As far as sporting one, I think they look great on those mexicans I see who it is just natural growth. But on me it always looked pretty odd. In SF I could get away with it as I was immersed in the swing thing. Up here in Seattle, I am not so into vintage dressing, and would never sport one except when I grow a goatee, then shave it off except for the stash for Halloween every year. Too odd and unusual. Good luck picking up girls with a pencil moustache in Seattle is what I mean.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:
I notice that a lot of Mexicans seem to naturally grow a nice looking thin moustache that looks pencil. Me, I have a very full thick high stash, so if I shave the top, I still get that dark blue sheen, and it grows out quickly.

My answer was to pluck it. It hurts like heck at first, but once you do, you only have to pluck a few every few days. Unfortunately that was before the common digital cameras, so I don not have many pics. I will try to dig some out.

pencil.jpg

I shave my upper lip against the hairs to get a clear contrast, but yes it SOMETIMES get a bit irritated and bleed. HOT WATER makes the difference.

PLUCK IT!!!!???

Sounds like that would hurt like a SB!!!!!!
Might give it a try though.

I just tried the trick w. a little mascara and wiped most of it off w. tissue paper. It comes out a bit darker now. But if i have to do this every morning, nah i would feel it's faking a bit no?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Skinny mustaches

I was looking at the thread about the best HAT movie, and it occurred to me that there should also be a searching examination of the issue of skinny mustaches. I mean the little skinny 30's type. Now, of course, we have to recuse William Powell, because he really did have the definitive skinny mustache. So, who's your nominee for all time champion skinny mustache?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy