Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I was watching that one, beautiful shape and patina! I think the stand is actually a spinner, Alan. Designed to help the block spin when your blocking and pushing down the body. My father in-law made this one for me as since I couldn't find a vintage one. A couple of my blocks have holes of different widths so he made the "rods" interchangeable.

BlockSpinner.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... that is nice turning work!

I was drawn to the sculptural form of this and decided to jump despite the high opening bid. A couple of others did too. I wondered if it was a block that would be used to shape a straw hat. Guessing that the number underneath is a block number and not a date.

Any additional knowledge from our hatter community would be much appreciated.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Alan. My father in-law is a modern Leonardo. He's a scientist in cancer research, a pediatric endocrinologist specialized in child gender issues, Associate dean of an Ivy League school of medicine, minor in music, crazy classical pianist, oil painter and furniture maker. Best part, you see him walking on the street, he looks and is as humble as anyone could be. Just one of the guys.

Back to subject:
I was told once that blocks of this kind were used almost exclusively to block straw bodies (I think Brent Black told me that...). It makes sense as felt hats can be creased by hand easily. And the "shape it the way you want it" was a big selling point back then.

Last edited:
That does look like a mate... thanks Josh. I should include this auction gallery while it's still up there. The photos were excellent and the way that it looked like a completely different object from each side is one of the things that attracted me to it. Someday I will take some better pictures.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Alan, the 1925 is the style of block, as you guessed, not the year. This is actually a western panama block as opposed to a dress panama. It can of course be used for both but is mostly associated with western.
You're right Ale, these are only intended for straw work as with felt, it isn't needed unless you are Stetson making a bazillion hats a day

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I thought I would show you a side by side the difference between the two Alan. On the left is a 1925 ( Western), on the right is a 125 ( dress). Note the rake or amount of slope on the dress as opposed to the fairly level rake on the western. From the top view it's a pretty dramatic difference in shape but the rake is what count's most in defining them.
IMG_0399-vi.jpg

IMG_0400-vi.jpg

Just to add ...

What makes using those straw hat blocks a heckuva lot easier (not to mention more effective) is what's called a "tipper," which is a separate piece that presses into the top of the crown and is in a shape inverse to that of the block.

A friend who specializes in straws has amassed quite the collection of blocks, many of which he has had repaired by a fellow who does such work and who has also crafted new tippers for the missing ones. Among the challenges of working mostly in straws is maintaining patience with would-be customers who don't wish to hear that the styles and sizes of straw hats a shop can produce is limited by its collection of blocks. A fellow might see a hat on a website or atop another customer's head and want one just like it. Problem is, that other hat is a size 7 1/8, say, and this fellow wears a 7 3/4, and the hatter just ain't got that style block in that size, and his chances of hunting one down ain't at all favorable.

DougC

Practically Family
Regarding the Cummins Initial Machine--how do these work? Looks like you dial in the letter and press down...can you do this when the sweat band is on the hat?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Regarding the Cummins Initial Machine--how do these work? Looks like you dial in the letter and press down...can you do this when the sweat band is on the hat?

You have it exactly Doug and yes, I stamp them while in the hat. It's the last thing I do when finishing out a hat.

Just to add ...

What makes using those straw hat blocks a heckuva lot easier (not to mention more effective) is what's called a "tipper," which is a separate piece that presses into the top of the crown and is in a shape inverse to that of the block.

A friend who specializes in straws has amassed quite the collection of blocks, many of which he has had repaired by a fellow who does such work and who has also crafted new tippers for the missing ones. Among the challenges of working mostly in straws is maintaining patience with would-be customers who don't wish to hear that the styles and sizes of straw hats a shop can produce is limited by its collection of blocks. A fellow might see a hat on a website or atop another customer's head and want one just like it. Problem is, that other hat is a size 7 1/8, say, and this fellow wears a 7 3/4, and the hatter just ain't got that style block in that size, and his chances of hunting one down ain't at all favorable.

Were these hat blocks only used (pre 1950s) for straw hats?

Last edited:
I thought I would show you a side by side the difference between the two Alan. On the left is a 1925 ( Western), on the right is a 125 ( dress). Note the rake or amount of slope on the dress as opposed to the fairly level rake on the western. From the top view it's a pretty dramatic difference in shape but the rake is what count's most in defining them.

Art (and Tony), thank you very much for adding your knowledge!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
No, actually the higher production companies used them ( in fact still do in some cases) for creasing hats quickly. Most have turned to aluminum blocks but when at Stetson last year I watched them using wood even today. ( ok..last year) They actually have their own block making shop. The less mechanized shops reserve them for panamas and hand crease the felts.

I actually prefer the look of a hand-creased felt hat to the ones formed on a shaped block at the factory, for a few reasons, not the least of which being that no two hand-creased hats will ever be quite exactly the same. I suspect that puts me in good company around this place.

Unlike you guys who attend the annual FedoraFests, I've never toured a large hat factory. But I gotta assume that their felt hats are blocked and pounced on open crown blocks and then the crown shape is stamped in with a shaped block and something akin to a tipper that presses the felt into the block. I just can't imagine how to machine pounce a hat on anything but an open crown block.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner