Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please have a look at my Aero 1930s halfbelt specs

mexl916

New in Town
Hello my friends,

at first I would like to thank you for this really great forum. I've read all threads concerning Aero leather jackets (I'm not kidding!). After several months I've made my decision. It would be nice if you could finally review my specs :)

Model
- 1930s half belt

Sizing
- Size 36"
- Sleeve length 25"
- Back length 24"

Leather
- Heavy Front Quarter Horsehide
- Color: rich dark brown (no russet); color like dark chocolate or roasted coffee beans would be nice
- Please select softest and most pliable hide available
- Please send me a sample of the leather that will be used (in order to confirm the color)

Pockets
- Two hand warmer pockets
- One chest pocket
- placed on the left hand side
- with ball and chain zip
- depth of pocket max. 8"​
- One inside pocket
- G1 style pocket in the facing with stud closure
- placed on the right hand side
- depth of pocket max. 8"​

Lining
- Jacket should be lined with olive gabardine
- 3 inch heavy brown corduroy reinforcement on the inside of the bottom hem
- hand warmer pockets lined with brown moleskin, all other pockets lined with olive gabardine
- Leather-lined cuffs

More details
- Nickel hardware (zipper, buckles etc.)

Best regards,
Mexl

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have just one little comment... "Softest and most pliable hide" is a bit confusing. Their "tumbled" version is soft and pliable right from the start, but it is very different from the regular FQHH, and will age differently. Do you mean to choose the softest of the regular FQHH hides they have when they get to make the jacket, or a different version of the FQHH? Good luck, anyway...

wdw

One Too Many
Remembering that Aero have now moved to a minimal-modifications model, you have some little details there which may or may not be possible or appreciated - 8" pocket depth, differing pocket linings. I'm not sure that olive gabardine is even an option now, and if it is it will probably be at additional cost.

Also, the hides they have available to send to you now will not necessarily be identical to the one they make your jacket from in 6 months time.

If you've read a lot of Aero threads, most will be from the old days when you could order one jacket and modify it so much it might look very different to what it started out as. The good thing about the new regime is that the less you can modify, the less that can go wrong.

Good luck anyway. I hope you get what you want.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Are you right-handed or left-handed? If the former, I'd stick the G1 on the left-hand side. I don't use my inside pockets often anyway, other than to stick my iPod in. Putting a full wallet in it tends to spoil the line of the jacket. Nickel's an interesting choice, it'll give a very 'clean' look, and from personal experience the mole skin is great for keeping your hands warm.
Tony's right about the hide though, if you want it soft from the start, best go tumbled or antique. Wdw is absolutely correct, too: I don't think the likes of leather-lined cuffs are available now, but really the less you muck around with the jacket, the better it'll look. The thing that'll make it look it's best is a good fit, not dozens of tweaks and changes.
Best of luck with the jacket.

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
Are you right-handed or left-handed? If the former, I'd stick the G1 on the left-hand side. I don't use my inside pockets often anyway, other than to stick my iPod in. Putting a full wallet in it tends to spoil the line of the jacket. Nickel's an interesting choice, it'll give a very 'clean' look. Tony's right about the hide though, if you want it soft from the start, best go tumbled or antique.

I can understand the logic with the pockets, he'd have three pockets on the left that way. I did the same with my Stuart, put the inside pocket on the opposite side of the chest pocket. Works fine with me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You're absolutely right on the logic. I was just going on my experience with having a pair G-1s. I've hardly used the right hand zipper because I tend to reach in with my right.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
My first 30s halfbelt had two chest pockets, two G1 pockets and two flap pockets instead of the hand warmer pockets. They were all lined with corduroy. For me the problem wasn't that it was too bulky but all those pockets lined with a heavy fabric made the jacket very warm. My current jacket has the same pocket set-up, but they are all lined in cotton drill. My jacket has a very clean look and it works perfectly for me. I use the G1 pockets all the time and often the flap pockets, too. But never the chest pockets. I have them solely for the look.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I agree with what wdw and Sloan have said regarding modifications. It is my understanding that Aero discourages inside pockets with the slim fit models. That would be especially true if you are going with an already tighter size 36. I hope that the size 36 works for you, particularly in light of Holly's recommendation for size 38. You might wish to measure yourself again and run your measurements through Aero one last time before proceeding with your order, keeping in mind that if your jacket is too tight and small, it is more likely to sit in your closet, unworn. You can always make a jacket smaller by layering but not larger, much like a pair of shoes. Good luck with your jacket and hope that it turns out exactly how you anticipate it to be.

pauleway

Practically Family
Are you right-handed or left-handed? If the former, I'd stick the G1 on the left-hand side. I don't use my inside pockets often anyway, other than to stick my iPod in. Putting a full wallet in it tends to spoil the line of the jacket. Nickel's an interesting choice, it'll give a very 'clean' look, and from personal experience the mole skin is great for keeping your hands warm.
Tony's right about the hide though, if you want it soft from the start, best go tumbled or antique. Wdw is absolutely correct, too: I don't think the likes of leather-lined cuffs are available now, but really the less you muck around with the jacket, the better it'll look. The thing that'll make it look it's best is a good fit, not dozens of tweaks and changes.
Best of luck with the jacket.

I do beleive that the 30's HB/Slimfit comes standard with leather lined cuffs!

pauleway

Practically Family
A friend of mine once told me a joke after telling me my shoes looked to big for my feet. He said "I take a size 9, 10's felt so good I bought 11's!!

pauleway

Practically Family
I just ordered a 30's HB and requested that I wanted only the single leather cuff, lined with cotton drill (double leather cuff too stiff) and Holly told me that the 30's HB comes standard with the leather lined cuff!

tonypaj

Practically Family
Mine was one of the first "tumbled" ones according to them, maybe that was a bit of an experimental "standard" then. I do not mind the lining in the cuffs one bit, though...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm really not sure that applies any more after the changes at Aero* - there is a thread on the lounge that relates to it. I may be wrong, but I don't see leather cuffs being stated as part of the standard design. Certainly, my LHB didn't come with leather-lined cuffs, but that's a 40s jacket, so it may be different
I think if you take October 1 this year as the date that marks a fundamental change in what the company offers, it means that posts and threads on Aero before that date may no longer be relevant or accurate, and you should check with the company or look for more up to date discussions.
*I stand corrected.

pauleway

Practically Family
I would check w/Holly just to be on the safe side. All I know is that my single leather button cuffs - lined w/cotton drill was a customized request!

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I have a 30's HB in seal goat coming one day next week. It's been so long since I ordered it, I've forgotten what I asked for. I've been a bit distracted the past eight-ten months. It's pretty stock, I think: two slash pockets; one breast pocket; on G-1 inside pocket. Don't remember cuff arrangement beyond the classic American button cuff, standard issue on the HB. A special tartan lining, Isle of Skye. Description and pics, of course, once it arrives.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Jack, we look forward to seeing exactly what the appearance is of your upcoming 30's HB. The seal goat should be awesome.:)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Jack,
8 to 10 months seems long, even for Aero, any specific reason for the long wait...was it the special tartan lining?

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Sorry, Boyo, the wait has been 4 1/2 months. I've been distracted for the past several months: death of my father; buying a home in Seattle; having my wife, my life a thousand miles away while I work in San Francisco this year. I was very excited when I ordered the jacket, and now that it is almost here I'm looking forward to having it and wearing it, but, in between there've all sorts of 'distractions' vying for my attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy