Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pompadours/Bing Crosby's Haircut

Weston

A-List Customer
Hi all!

I've been a member here for awhile, and read quite a few posts but say little. 1. Being a seminary student, I have precious little money to spend on vintage stuff 2. There isn't much vintage I can do at the moment (all involves money!) but....

I would love to know how to get those awesome haircuts of the 30s and 40s, particularly Bing Crosby's. I'm a fan of all things Bing, and would love a decent, respectable haircut like his. I think my primary obstacle is that I need to get specific advice based on my hair about what haircuts would work. I have short wavy black hair at moment, if that helps. Picture can be provided.

Any men's haircut experts out there??

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
well depending on where you are it would be easier or harder find someone to do that cut........first place to look is for an old barber bring a pic in and he will probibly tell you its cut # whatever and no problem......the old barbers always seem to know exactly what you want......the other way to go ussually a bit more pricey is a decent salon take a couple of pix in of the style you want and any hairdresser worth thier scissors should not only be able to mimic the cut but also be able to teach you to style it that way as well......my best friend/stylist keeps trying to get me to wear a mini pomp as opposed to a straight slick back......but I am stubborn

Weston

A-List Customer
Awesome Sites! Thanks a mil! Going to snag some Murray's tomorrow..if I can find a drug store...

Mark VT

New in Town
How to get the haircut you want

The best way is to get an old movie on DVD w/ the actor wearing the doo you like. Play the video on your computer and capture various still close up shots of the actor's head in all positions. Print them! The barber/stylist needs to see the cut you want from all perspectives: front-side-and back. Takes your pics to a good barber or stylist who will do exactlt what YOU say not what THEY want. Just because a barber is "old" doesn't make him good. Do a little research first. In my experience the biggest screw up is that barbers or stylists take way too much off the top. Some don't know what a pompadour is anymore. So be careful. Have them take a little off the top and ask your apprv'l before they chop off more. There is nothing worse than a poorly cut pompadour. A good tonic or pomade will not mask hair that is too short.

Mark VT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21