Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I posted this once but kept discovering new details so thought it best to try again.

1940s Penney’s Marathon - my first with the Phoenix (?) crest (I like to think of them as parrots, being an old Parrot Head myself). Also the first hat I’ve ever had with onion skin behind the sweatband.

The eBay listing said the head opening was 20.5 in. but for $9 plus shipping and tax I took a gamble that the listing was wrong. It paid off - this fellow is a size 7.

It did have cardboard sizers all the way around the head opening and it still needs a bit of stretching but this will fit nicely after some head time.

It’s been munched through in a few places along the brim but other than that the felt is really very nice - super soft, very malleable, holds a crease easily. Not as nice as my Wormser from the same period but close.

A fantastic old beater, I am a happy camper.
IMG_9782.jpeg

IMG_9790.jpeg

IMG_9776.jpeg

IMG_9791.jpeg

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9797.jpeg

IMG_9777.jpeg

Cardboard sizers pulled out from behind the sweat. I’ll use these in another hat.

IMG_9779.jpeg

Original price:
IMG_9793.jpeg

IMG_9778.jpeg

Last edited:

DonR

One of the Regulars
I had another hat come in today. A sage colored Borsalino with matching grosgrain ribbon. The oil skin is still intact.
Has a nice soft felt and 2 1/2" bound brim. Slightly large on me, but I just won't wear it on a windy day. More details and pictures will be in the Borsalio Brotherhood thread.

The picture colors may seem a bit off, but I had to adjust the color to more accurately portray the color of the hat. My camera wanted to make it more blue which I wouldn't have minded, but the sage is pleasant.

DSC_1707.JPG

DSC_1721.JPG

I had another hat come in today. A sage colored Borsalino with matching grosgrain ribbon. The oil skin is still intact.
Has a nice soft felt and 2 1/2" bound brim. Slightly large on me, but I just won't wear it on a windy day. More details and pictures will be in the Borsalio Brotherhood thread.

The picture colors may seem a bit off, but I had to adjust the color to more accurately portray the color of the hat. My camera wanted to make it more blue which I wouldn't have minded, but the sage is pleasant.

View attachment 579099
View attachment 579100
Always interesting to me that the cameras tend to have a tough time rendering felt colors. This is a great find, Don. You are on a roll!

DonR

One of the Regulars
I had posted about this one in the waiting for thread where I had bid on it and then realized they had a $50 shipping charge.

A 1950's Stetson Twenty-Five Open Road in tan with a contrasting ribbon.

There is a couple small marks where the felt has worn or a nick in it. I'm not sure. You can see in the pictures. The first one is in the side dent on the ribbon side and the other is in the crown top which I kind of hid with a new bash. They don't appear to be holes that go through. There was some staining on the brim in the selling pictures which I was able to remove.

Again the colors had to be adjusted because my camera made it appear gray.

This is my second Twenty-Five. My first one seems to have a bit thicker felt with a golden ribbon and brim binding. It believe the first one to be older than this one due to the hand written reorder tag and logo (although not sure about the logo). Picture of first tag is last picture in set.

This hat has a stamp on the inside of the sweatband (actually one on each side of the hat) dating it as March 15th, 1954. It is also debossed with The Open Road while the other is not.

DSC_1726.JPG
DSC_1730.JPG
DSC_1729.JPG
DSC_1737.JPG

DSC_1723.JPG

DSC_1725.JPG

This is reorder tag of my other Twenty-Five

DSC_1740.JPG

I had posted about this one in the waiting for thread where I had bid on it and then realized they had a $50 shipping charge.

A 1950's Stetson Twenty-Five Open Road in tan with a contrasting ribbon.

There is a couple small marks where the felt has worn or a nick in it. I'm not sure. You can see in the pictures. The first one is in the side dent on the ribbon side and the other is in the crown top which I kind of hid with a new bash. They don't appear to be holes that go through. There was some staining on the brim in the selling pictures which I was able to remove.

Again the colors had to be adjusted because my camera made it appear gray.

This is my second Twenty-Five. My first one seems to have a bit thicker felt with a golden ribbon and brim binding. It believe the first one to be older than this one due to the hand written reorder tag and logo (although not sure about the logo). Picture of first tag is last picture in set.

This hat has a stamp on the inside of the sweatband (actually one on each side of the hat) dating it as March 15th, 1954. It is also debossed with The Open Road while the other is not.

View attachment 579499 View attachment 579500 View attachment 579501 View attachment 579502

View attachment 579503
View attachment 579506

This is reorder tag of my other Twenty-Five

View attachment 579507
That is one nice 25!

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Nice little $10 ladies hat …

View attachment 579754

Hmmm … could it be?

View attachment 579755

A little ribbon surgery returns it to its original gender.

View attachment 579756

View attachment 579757

View attachment 579758

View attachment 579759

Fray yeah! The detail of the debossings amazes me.

View attachment 579760

Tight seam. What’s left of the little white ribbon is tucked safely back there.

View attachment 579763

View attachment 579761

View attachment 579762
What's the Lot Number on back of sweatband?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
King's Umbrella Hat Co. beaver blend in Granite. I had a 9/16 ribbon put on this very soft and light dress weight hat. I went western with this one and creased the 5 1/2 open crown to 4 3/4 at the rear and 3 3/4 at the front and pulled the sides up with a western swoop.

I am very impressed with this startup milliner. Alan worked with me every step of the way to get just the combination I was looking for and for an excellent price. On top of that, King's Umbrella comes with a real wood, cedar lined hat box! If you have been in the market for a custom hat but could not afford custom prices, your wait is over!

20240110_173457.jpg 20240110_173607.jpg 20240110_173631.jpg 20240110_194330.jpg 20240110_174058.jpg 20240110_174223.jpg 20240110_174150.jpg

A few hats came in this week (from before my usual new year's resolution;)).

Dobbs fifteen in brown with a longhair finish. Colour is called "twist" and model "smartset" according to the label. Could be the other way around though. Size 58, but it fits more like a size 57 to me. Overwelt brim at a stingy 4,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Made under license in Italy, so Panizza, who held the license, is the actual maker. This one is dated 1963. Very nicely made hat with a lovely hand to the felt.

dobbs smartset_01.jpg
dobbs smartset_02.jpg
dobbs smartset_03.jpg
dobbs smartset_04.jpg
dobbs smartset_06.jpg
dobbs smartset_07.jpg
dobbs smartset_08.jpg
dobbs smartset_09.jpg
dobbs smartset_10.jpg
dobbs smartset_12.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads