Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Looks great with that crease, Robert. I've never handled a Melton yet, it looks beutifully finished from your photos. Off Topic, are you using the (Fuji?) Dslr camera?

No, a Panasonic Lumix LX-5(found after lost for 2 months). Much easier and lighter so can be quickly hand held.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
New to me, Herbert Johnson greenish Flat Cap!
wear238.jpg

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Found this fedora at a garage sale last Saturday. I bought it for two dollars, no tax.

It's a brand I've never heard of: Bergen Hatters of Jersey City. Size 7 1/2. The felt is of good quality, with some very shallow bug tracking. Clearly the model is a ripoff of a Dobbs Cross Country. The union label dates it to 1934 or earlier. The hat is crying out for a reblocking, and its cream color needs a very good cleaning. Off it will go to Optimo in Chicago.

Bergen1_zps56f566cf.jpg

Bergen2_zpsd55d6897.jpg

Bergen3_zps3a4ff646.jpg

Bergen4_zpsa2a41849.jpg

dobbs_cross_country_2_zpscbd57595.jpg

Bergen5_zps0e44e867.jpg

Bergen6_zps0114937c.jpg

Bergen7_zps26053797.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Manfred, that cap is sweet! Great fabric pattern!

Burma, $2???? WOW! What a great buy! You practically stole it! Looks like a great warm weather hat, and I am curious to see how it looks when it returns from Optimo!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wegener Bowler. Purchased from a fellow lounger in Germany.
I have an extra long oval head and this fits almost perfectly. Does anyone know if German hat makers generally make their hats more long oval than hatters from other countries?

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4098.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

IMG_4101.JPG

IMG_4102.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Manfred, great cap! The colors look good on you, and I like the neat, clean profile.

Burma-- very cool, and can't beat that price! I wonder if this is the same Bergen that made all those flat top coachman style hats with flamboyant colors that pop up on ebay every now and then.

Sam, nice Wegener. I wonder if it was formed at the shop by the customer who bought it first? I've found a lot of variation in ovals that aren't marked long by modern hatters, particularly Dobbs.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Scooter and Jeff, thank you very much for the kind words! It's also new for me the English style but I appreciate the English craftsmanship!

Sam, great looking Wegener Melone, fits right and looks good on you!
That is a good question but I don't know the answer!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
This was both a 24 hour auction and mislabeled as a Bowler. I can only imagine thats why I was the only bidder on it, cause it looks to be in as good a condition as someone could hope for.

homburg6_zpsc953d37d.jpg

Homburg5_zps89252ea4.jpg

Homburg4_zps46fb2782.jpg

homburg3_zpscd569c75.jpg

Homburg2_zps06b13a7b.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Very nice score, OCMH! I was watching that one, but decided to wait for the two that I bought to arrive, and to asses my collection before I go after any other hats! Can't wait to see it on ya!

LonnieW

New in Town
New Hat

Being new, I can see that "new hat", doesn't really mean "new" in the literal sense. But I received a text of my NEW hat this evening, and I decided it's show it anyway.

Some time back I found this hat in a south Austin resale shop. It's a Standard Hat Works from the 70s. I can't stand the pink ribbon, however, and one of these days it'll be gone. SHW in Waco, TX is a custom hat maker. I was so taken by it, that I finally decided to start talking to them about a couple of new ones.

mj2rkz.jpg

The maker sent me a cell phone photo of my new one in a text message, so excuse the quality of the photo. It's their "10X", which I chose for what I'm thinking is going to for mostly daily/utility use. Anyway, the crown is exaggerated because of the photo angle, but my general idea was to mimic something along the lines of an Open Road. The color is actually dark chocolate, with a ribbon brim edging of about the same color. The 6 ply hat band ribbon (they've got a stash of about 30 rolls of the stuff in different colors mostly date coded in the 70s) is a lighter brown, as I wanted to highlight it to some degree. Maybe a "non-standard" approach, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, I can hardly wait to pick it up and I'll try to post some much better pics later.

2j3o9zd.jpg

BR Gordon

One Too Many
A few new hats that I've received. Some I've had for a while, while others have just arrived.

This Falcon Park in Steel has just arrived.

This cap from Bela at Hepville, is a great eight panel. I always enjoy wearing one of Bela's. This one is has the full leather sweatband, and fits beautifully.

Everyone will recognize one of Johnny J's caps. I've been really pleased with this Cordova Cap, It's quickly become one of my favorites.

This cap just came in today from Barry and it's already taken its place in my regular cap rotation.

The caps shown here along with others that Bela previously made for me, are giving Art's fedoras competition for head time.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Very nice score, OCMH! I was watching that one, but decided to wait for the two that I bought to arrive, and to asses my collection before I go after any other hats! Can't wait to see it on ya!

Thanks! I knew it couldnt have gone unnoticed. It'll be my first homburg so i'm definitely curious to see how it'll look on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy