Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POW Hat Powder

I thought I would share a photo of this cleaner that was used many years ago to clean hats. Not sure exactly how it works but I find it interesting that it is still around. :cool:

PowHatCleaner.jpg

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Does that stuff work really well? Do you powder it and brush it off with a hat brush?

What about light colored fedoras?

I saw some hat powder here at Wild Bill's Western Emporium but was hesitant to get it.

karol

Actually I have no idea how it works but it does say that it is for light colored hats. I wonder if it is just powdered color that actually just covers the stains. :kick:
I suppose it could be a dry cleaning agent that you would brush in and then brush off when it looks like the stain is removed but I doubt it would work very well.
If I had the can and it still had stuff in it I might be willing to try it on a junk stingy brim I have. All I found was the picture. ;) Maybe I can track down some of the modern stuff you mentioned and try it instead. The curiosity could get the best of me. :)

Regards to all,

J

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I got some and tried it, I wasn't impressed. The best off the shelf cleaner that's non toxic that I've found is the foam. It really does work. Just make sure you use the one for dark felt, even if your hat is light colored. The one for light felt is made just for silver belly colored felt and has silica in it to enhance the white color of the felt.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It's called "Scout felt hat cleaner for dark colors" It says "excellent for cleaning black felt hats" but like I said, I've used it on gray, brown, black, natural and white fedora's. I get mine at Western Clothing stores. It's only about $7.00 a can. You spray it on and it foams up, lifting dirt out. You wipe it off with either a rag or sponge. Let it dry and it if it's not a serious stain that requires a solvent type of cleaner, it does a very decent job. I've used it on all my vintage fedora's without any ill effects.

fedoralover

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for that information, Fedoralover.

I saw the foam in Wild Bill's Western Emporium but was afraid to buy it and use it on my fedoras. I was fearful it would ruin the softness of the hats. The sales folks didn't know because they sell cowboy hats.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran