Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

marcello

Suspended
Jovan said:
I'm surprised at there being nary a bowtie or double breasted suit in that group! Still a natty bunch, nonetheless.

I removed your response Marcello.

He didn't say anything too nasty, though your reply in response was crude.

You are edited. -- Matt deckard

marcello

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
Marcello, what is your opinion about Palm Beach cloth? Like it? Hate it? I'd really like to know.

Actually, I think that it can be fantastic stuff. I prefer both dupioni silk and heavy weight linen for the summer, but it doesn't get much better than this from a man in Naples wearing vintage Palm Beach:
artfawcett5fn.jpg

Thanks for asking!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
marcello said:
... it doesn't get much better than this from a man in Naples wearing vintage Palm Beach.

The man in your photo is Art Fawcett; it was taken when he was involved with the vintage fashion expos. Fawcett's not in Naples, Marcello: he's standing in front of the entrance to the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, where the expos are held three times a year. (The building also hosted an Oscars ceremony or two, back in the '60s.)

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of Palm Beach cloth. No real drape to it. I've a 1950 suit from Oviatt's made of champagne-colored tussah silk. Easily my favorite summer suit.

marcello

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
You're welcome! I remember Art Fawcett wearing that suit in the photo, back when he was involved in the vintage fashion expos.

I'm not a big fan of Palm Beach cloth. No real drape to it. I've a 1950 suit from Oviatt's made of champagne-colored tussah silk. Easily my favorite summer suit.

My last trip home to Napoli, I found out that one of the famous tailors there was having some bolts of Tussah silk made up to the old specs. He is quite an expert on vintage cloth, probably one of the top five in teh world. Anyway, he believes that what they are weaving for him now is equal to what his father was using in the 1930s. I believe that I saw ivory, blue and black, but don't remember a bolt of Champagne. Nice stuff.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for posting that pic Marcello. I've not seen it before. May I ask where you obtained it? It's not upsetting to me, just curious.
The suit is actually a cream colored light weight wool with a silver stripe in the fabric. German tailored in 1938 and one of my favorite suits.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Orgetorix said:
Whomever he is, and whatever he's wearing, the guy in that photo is one stylish fella! ;)

In case Marcello doesn't know ...

The guy in the photo is, in fact, one of the moderators of the Fedora Lounge's "General Attire & Accouterments" section, and used to be a moderator of the "Hats" section.

He is also the maker of some of the finest fedoras on the planet.

He was a driving force behind the Vintage Fashion Expos, and he sold and rented some mighty fine vintage clothing.

His name is Art ... and he is definitely NOT in Naples. :eusa_clap

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
That is me Orgetorix, in my "dapper days' before retiring from the world and moving to the woods of Oregon two years ago. I am a smoker and would often "retreat" outside to have a puff, at which time I was often photographed. This must be a pic from someone that appreciated the look.
Would LOVE to go to Naples someday. Please note the title of the pic. I downloaded it to save ( I don't have one like this) and sure enough, the title is correct.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL...you're right Fletch, they'd throw me outa the state!!! This was taken at the Santa Monica Civic Center. Must have been a May show. Marc, I'd bet you were right as to it's origin. I DO remember Daniel taking my pic ( along with Lauren) when he was first getting interested in vintage. But, how in the world could it have been picked up? Did he post it somewhere for Marcello to find? strange stuff this internet....

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Alan, being a bricklayer in "real life" weekends at the vintage store and shows were the only times I could "dress up" so I had alot of fun with it. I always figured if I was going to sell vintage I had to DRESS vintage and since I am one of those 110%ers we sortof maxed it out. I still have alot of my old wardrobe..just can't part with stuff that took 20yrs to amass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace