Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quatermaster Inspector's B-10

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I already asked this same question...some time ago, with little response / feedback.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Thanks for the low down.... If I EVER hear back from Pike Bros, I guess that's the way I'll go.

Worf

The people at QMI never will reply, no matter how many times you email them. No one here seems to know anything either.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
QMI USAF B-10...anyone know this jacket?

This was the original thread on the subject.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all... I think I'll be going the Pike Bros route since they sell a Size 50 and they're far more reasonable than ECL with their 500 pound sterling B-10

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I am not sure of his size chart in inches? According to his measurements, I should wear a Small, there is no way I would fit into a small!

Edward

Bartender
Worf, have you tried emailing Aero about this? Since they stopped doing their own B10 in-house, they've been stocking the Pike Bros option. They sound really good - they're cracked up to be a little less full-on accurate than the ELC, mainly because (I think it was Ken who put it this way), they're a bit "over-engineered", which sounds a plus to me. Definitely much cheaper than the ELC. If they did one in a B15 / B15A configuration, I'd be all over it...

The one in the OP looks very much like the GBP125 option Soldier of Fortune are selling in the UK. I saw one of them at Goodwood last year - lovely jacket. I should imagine lacking in some of the very specific details, but for a jacket you're just gonig to be wearing out and about, grand. I'm fairly sure the collar is synthetic, whereas the Pike would be real mouton, and I'd hazard a guess that the lining is superior in the Pike, though it is twice the price. Personally, if I was gonig to get a lot of wear out of it, I'd go with the Pike, but if I thought I'd only wear it once in a while, the other one seemed nice.

zhz

Practically Family
Aero only has size XL on their website. And the Pike brothers use woven wool lining according to their website, this is not a issue for me but seems to other people here. What really stops me of buying a Pike brothers' jacket is the sizing, they runs large, I think I need a extra extra small, (yes double extra) to fit me perfect.

Worf, have you tried emailing Aero about this? Since they stopped doing their own B10 in-house, they've been stocking the Pike Bros option. They sound really good - they're cracked up to be a little less full-on accurate than the ELC, mainly because (I think it was Ken who put it this way), they're a bit "over-engineered", which sounds a plus to me. Definitely much cheaper than the ELC. If they did one in a B15 / B15A configuration, I'd be all over it...

The one in the OP looks very much like the GBP125 option Soldier of Fortune are selling in the UK. I saw one of them at Goodwood last year - lovely jacket. I should imagine lacking in some of the very specific details, but for a jacket you're just gonig to be wearing out and about, grand. I'm fairly sure the collar is synthetic, whereas the Pike would be real mouton, and I'd hazard a guess that the lining is superior in the Pike, though it is twice the price. Personally, if I was gonig to get a lot of wear out of it, I'd go with the Pike, but if I thought I'd only wear it once in a while, the other one seemed nice.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The collar is not synthetic...real fur. Alpaca / Wool blend lining.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Spearhead militaria also make a B-10; retail price is $229. Their products are decent quality (I have one of their olive drab wool A-1 jackets). image.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Spearhead militaria also make a B-10; retail price is $229. Their products are decent quality (I have one of their olive drab wool A-1 jackets). View attachment 13572

I have a couple of bits fom them. I'd be supicious of their leathers at the price, but the trousers and civilianised Travis Bickle take on the Tanker jacket I have are nice. I was tempted by their B15, but they didn't keep it available for very long. I have no idea of the historical provenance of ther "A9" jacket (looks like a B10 but blue; I suspect it may be a bit of a fiction, but it looksnice nonetheless).

The collar is not synthetic...real fur. Alpaca / Wool blend lining.

Sounds like a decent spec.

Aero only has size XL on their website. And the Pike brothers use woven wool lining according to their website, this is not a issue for me but seems to other people here. What really stops me of buying a Pike brothers' jacket is the sizing, they runs large, I think I need a extra extra small, (yes double extra) to fit me perfect.

Ah, that's a pity. Right enough, I don't think I've seen an interior photo. I've lnog been tempted by their N1, myself.

Edward

Bartender
If it looks too good to be true …

Well, I'd certainly be careful where I bought anything with "fake fur" on it, lest it go tabby when it gets caught in the rain. I've heard of it happening....

The one I've seen is this:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/b10-flying-jacket.-product,15285

I didn't think to ask what they meant by fake fur (I suppose to some, mouton true is "fake fur). It was a nice, serviceable jacket, impressive quality for £125. I doubt it will give any of the really full on repro makers sleepless nights, but for somebody just wanting a jacket with that vibe for kicking about, latter-day rockabilly style, or for undergraduate age kids on a tight budget, the ones Soldier of Fortune have are worth a look. (The latter will probably look more accurate in it than any of we middle aged men possibly could in even the very most accurate repro jacket... ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff