Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refilling a Vintage Lighter

This was my Dad's Japanese-made lighter that he carried in Korea during the Korean War. It needs a new flint and I'd like to refill it but have no idea how to do it as I'm totally unfamiliar with lighters. I can't see any place to unscrew or open it.

lighter.jpg

DSCF8456.jpg

Last edited:

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Pinch the narrow sides of the outer casing together while pulling up slowly but firmly. To clarify, that's the sides without any insignia. If it's well and truly stuck, some WD-40 would probably be the best bet, so long as you clean the liquid lubricant out after (it attracts dust and may be a fire hazard, though I'm not sure on that). Just point the narrow nozzle at the seal between the top compartment and lower casing. Let it sit and sink in for a few minutes.

Best of Luck!

P.S: I wouldn't try cleaning it with anything before you go to pull the top off. My grandmother once scrubbed her husband's silver zippo with polish before gifting it to me. I seem to recall some of the polishing grit getting stuck and making it difficult to pull the lighter out!

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
One other common problem: old flints can get lodged in the flint-tube, along with a powdery grit from repeated striking. I've sometimes had to take the whole top striker off (read- not for the faint of heart) and punch the old flint down with a nail or screwdriver (there was a hammer involved one time). Japanese-made lighters from that era sometimes have a curved or angled flint tube which means a lot more jammed flints. Pipe cleaners are perfect for getting the old gunk out, maybe dipped in vinegar or a more mild solution? Let us know how it works out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo